Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedro to miss first Yanks Series

The Sox apparently going to skip Arroyo this week and have Pedro go on Thursday night against Baltimore. Time for some payback.

A lot of people are really questioning this move and I really don't know why. All Pedro is doing is pitching on his regular 4 days rest. Besides, the Yankees have seen him so much that it's ridiculous... they don't need to see him again and again. He'll be starting the game against them on Sunday the following week anyway.

Apr. 13 vs. BALTIMORE ORIOLES (Lowe)
    Apr. 14 vs. BALTIMORE ORIOLES (Wakefield)
    Apr. 15 vs. BALTIMORE ORIOLES (Pedro)
    Apr. 16 vs. NEW YORK YANKEES (Schilling)
    Apr. 17 vs. NEW YORK YANKEES (Arroyo)
    Apr. 18 vs. NEW YORK YANKEES (Lowe)
    Apr. 19 vs. NEW YORK YANKEES (Wakefield)
    Apr. 20 at TORONTO BLUE JAYS (Pedro)
    Apr. 21 at TORONTO BLUE JAYS (Schilling)
    Apr. 22 at TORONTO BLUE JAYS (Arroyo)
    Apr. 23 at NEW YORK YANKEES (Lowe)
    Apr. 24 at NEW YORK YANKEES (Wakefield)
    Apr. 25 at NEW YORK YANKEES (Pedro)

This makes sense to me. Why give the team expected to give us the hardest time a godo, early season look at our ace?

I expect people to give Pedro a hard time for trying to avoid the yankees, but thats just not true. Its a logical move. And looking at our rotation through the next month, I'm very pleased.

Major Leaguer
    schill startin for us against the yanks....gotta love it

i think its a pretty good move because I'm going to the yankees game friday and ive seen pedro pitch many times but i get my first look at schilling
    BostonSportsTalkForum <- Check it out

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base.&quot;
    -Dave Barry

Originally posted by yeszir@Apr 11 2004, 08:08 PM
    This makes sense to me. Why give the team expected to give us the hardest time a godo, early season look at our ace?

I expect people to give Pedro a hard time for trying to avoid the yankees, but thats just not true. Its a logical move. And looking at our rotation through the next month, I&#39;m very pleased.
    Funny thing is that it isn&#39;t Pedro&#39;s decision. He&#39;ll start against them at Yankee Stadium in the following series with the Yanks anyway so who cares what they say. It&#39;s strategy.

Originally posted by FourZeroSix+Apr 12 2004, 01:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FourZeroSix @ Apr 12 2004, 01:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-yeszir@Apr 11 2004, 08:08 PM

I expect people to give Pedro a hard time for trying to avoid the yankees, but thats just not true. Its a logical move. And looking at our rotation through the next month, I&#39;m very pleased.
    Funny thing is that it isn&#39;t Pedro&#39;s decision. He&#39;ll start against them at Yankee Stadium in the following series with the Yanks anyway so who cares what they say. It&#39;s strategy. [/b][/quote]
    I think there is some confusion as to what exactly the strategy is. Can someone please clear up the confusion and specifically state why the move was made? Is it just to have Pedro pitch once more, and give us a better chance of winning?

Yes, it gives us more chances for winning, and it also allows Pedro to face the yanks in the upcoming series at New York. I believe its during the last game of the season, if everything goes according to plan. Needless to say, it should be interesting.
    Inaugural Talksox contest winner.

Damn, we gotta wait that long to tee off on Pedro? I was really hoping we&#39;d get a crack at him right away, but I guess we&#39;ll have to wait. Oh well, we&#39;ll get our shot at him soon enough.
    9-11-01 FDNYPD We will not forget.
    Just because it's a rivalry doesn't mean you need to make retarded arguments.

I&#39;m looking forward to seeing him face the MFY again, too. Look for some hit batters

Originally posted by yagmaster@Apr 12 2004, 10:03 PM
    I&#39;m looking forward to seeing him face the MFY again, too. Look for some hit batters
    Doesn&#39;t bother me, as long as we finish with the W in the standings

I&#39;m worried there&#39;s gonna be another brawl:

Pedro may end up facing the Yanks with this rainout, I don&#39;t know how the rotations are set up, but we may end up getting a Pedro/Yanks matchup sooner than we thought

Francona is using it as a way to sandwich Wakefield in between Pedro and Schilling. With the rainout, Pedro will still be pitching Thursday night against Baltimore with Wakefield opening up against the Yanks followed by Schilling on Saturday night. I don&#39;t know what all the fuss is about... He&#39;ll be starting at YANKEE STADIUM against them in the following series in April. That will be even tougher on him.. of course they are playing this off as if Pedro is somehow afraid of them....That&#39;s just hilarious, IMO. Afraid... right.

As for Thursday night against the Orioles... They are dead men walking.

Rookie
    I look forward to Pedro silencing the sure-to-be-obnoxious yankee stadium crowd next week. Should be fun.
    Ortizzle my nizzle

Originally posted by roary@Apr 13 2004, 07:05 PM
    I look forward to Pedro silencing the sure-to-be-obnoxious yankee stadium crowd next week. Should be fun.
    Kind of like Game 7? You could hear a pin drop the first 7 innings.

"We want Pedro&#33;"... Yeah, after 110 pitches, sure you do. That is like beating your dad in an arm wrestling match after he&#39;s had a stroke and trying to gloat about it. Nothing amazing or honorable about it.