• Yankees

17 43.59%
  • An unknown third team

4 10.26%
Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 ALCS: Angels @ Yankees

Re: 2009 ALCS: Angels @ Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by yankees228;489740;
    OK, I mean, that's fair. You would have to admit though, there is nothing tangible or specific in your argument besides "the Angels are a good team".

But your statement about the Dodgers still makes absolutely no sense. For the most part, their bullpen is young also, and they're going up against one of the best offensive teams in baseball.
    Actually Broxton and Sherrill are fairly experienced, especially for their ages. Broxton has 4 full years in the league, Sherrill has 5 (or rather, four and two halves). Behind them, Kuo and Troncoso compare favorably with Aceves and Robertson respectively.

The kicker for me is depth. The Yankees have Rivera, Hughes, Robertson and Aceves, and had Joba in the pen for the ALDS. The Dodgers have Broxton, Sherrill, Kuo, Belisario, Troncoso, and in a pinch, have gotten decent results from Weaver as the long man as well.

Among the pitchers the Yankees have on their roster that I don't know how much they can actually count on against good hitters is both of their bullpen lefties, Damaso Marte and Phil coke. That's a big disadvantage over a team that has Sherrill, and Kuo to trot out and shut lefties down with.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;489745;
    Actually Broxton and Sherrill are fairly experienced, especially for their ages. Broxton has 4 full years in the league, Sherrill has 5 (or rather, four and two halves). Behind them, Kuo and Troncoso compare favorably with Aceves and Robertson respectively.

The kicker for me is depth. The Yankees have Rivera, Hughes, Robertson and Aceves, and had Joba in the pen for the ALDS. The Dodgers have Broxton, Sherrill, Kuo, Belisario, Troncoso, and in a pinch, have gotten decent results from Weaver as the long man as well.

Among the pitchers the Yankees have on their roster that I don't know how much they can actually count on against good hitters is both of their bullpen lefties, Damaso Marte and Phil coke. That's a big disadvantage over a team that has Sherrill, and Kuo to trot out and shut lefties down with.
    Overall, both bullpens are pretty even in terms of experience.

The back end of the Yankees bullpen, with Rivera and Hughes, is better than anything the other three team's in the playoffs have. This is pretty much indisputable.

It's important to remember that, against the Angels, there is only one lefty in the lineup. Against them, the importance of being able to match up lefty lefty is small. However, I never said the Yankees' were better equipped to get out lefties than the Dodgers.

I just think that the Yankees bullpen, overall, is better (mainly because of the back end). I also don't think that Kuo, Belsario, Troncoso, and Weaver are any better than Chamberlain, Aceves, Robertson, and Coke.

There may only be one lefty in the lineup, but give or take Izturis there's as many as 3 switch hitters. (Izturis, Morales, Figgins).

At Yankee Stadium, with its short porch to right, turning those Switchies around, especially Morales, is something you want to be able to do.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Yankees in 6.
    And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

Banned

Yankees in 7.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

I picked the Angels to beat the sox and then yanks in that predictor thread,and I'm picking them here too. Of course, the umpires might try to blow it for the Angels just like they did with the Twins.
    Everybody wants a piece of me. Nobody can stomach the whole thing

Angels in 4

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crunchy;489567;
    5m? I knew it was short money but that's just unreal.
    We gave Penny and Smoltz 5M each to keep us from winning the division.
    Thats not entirely fair but man i always liked abreau and he has given the angels a little more swagger than theyve had in the past, you just knew Paps wasnt getting him out in the 9th with the game on the line...Fuck,after the 7th inning i thought we were going to come back and win this thing.
    What can you say after a year like this? Full houses every night, a battle tested team with the pitching and a lot of guys who can rake looking to become the team of the decade just couldnt get it done.
    Usually I go into a month long depression over something like this but there's been something missing on this team since Manny left, call it swagger call it lack of muscle but I just cant figure out how guys like Lackey and Weaver can stick it up our asses like they did on back to back nights and then yesterday our 0.00 era closer couldnt seal the deal...
    Youk makes a fucked up play at 1st in the 8th,Guerrero beats us with his liner to center and there were the bad hops and lack of big hits and consistancy that got us finally in the end.
    Hang in there men, it aint as bad as it looked.
    With the young arms that Theo has drafted and the current staff we have we can expect more October baseball next year and thats almost a certainty. We need to make a few moves to get some offense, maybe restructure the power game and concentrate more on producing runs with some more speed?
    This teams future is as solid as any team in the league,Bucholz showed us yesterday that he is a stud in the making and with 1 more year of Becks Lester Bckhlz and DiceK we're going places even if Im hitting cleanup next April.
    *chuckle*

Someone was going to do it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradisecity;489885;
    I picked the Angels to beat the sox and then yanks in that predictor thread,and I'm picking them here too. Of course, the umpires might try to blow it for the Angels just like they did with the Twins.
    Lol, it was an awful call, but there is a very good chance they would intentionally walk Kubel anyway.

I'm very happy about the fact that it seems likely that the Yankees will go with a three man rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;489748;
    There may only be one lefty in the lineup, but give or take Izturis there's as many as 3 switch hitters. (Izturis, Morales, Figgins).

At Yankee Stadium, with its short porch to right, turning those Switchies around, especially Morales, is something you want to be able to do.
    Well, like you said, the only one you would really want to turn around is Morales. You're not worried about Izturis and Figgins hitting the ball out of the ballpark. Also, unless the splits are dramatically different, you probably want to just put your best relievers in against switch hitters, whether they be right handed or left handed.

I'll say this, though. Phil Coke's job last series was to get out Jason Kubel. He did a good job (0-2, although one was a line out). This series his job will be to get out Bobby Abreu. In a close and late game situation, Kendry Morales will be facing a RHP (Chamberlain, Hughes, or Rivera).

Couple things...

It is supposed to rain in New York on Friday and Saturday, which could change the pitching rotation. The Yankees' are no strangers to postseason rain outs, but it only really cost them once in the past. Considering they probably plan to use a three man rotation, rain outs might prove to be really costly in this series.

Also, according to what I'm hearing on WFAN, it looks like Weaver will pitch game three, because they want him at home. Also, instead of Kazmir pitching game two (which is what I originally had thought), they might go with Joe Saunders.

Its confirmed

Saunders game 2 , Weaver 3 and Kazmir 4

Saunders was good in September, but he has not had a good year, and he has been awful on the road. I'm looking forward to the Yankees seeing him twice this series.

If every game get played as scheduled I like the Yankees' chances in this series. Sabathia would pitch up to three games. Saunders would be slated to pitch twice at NYS (against Burnett and Pettitte). I think they would be able to find four wins in seven games (or fewer). However, if games start to get rained out, my confidence would go down.