Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On the virtues of Football stadiums: a cooperative dissertation by Emmz and J_E

Re: Favre vs. Packers

Quote Originally Posted by Emmz;489859 View Post
    :lol:

This just keeps getting better and better. Steroid use isn't random. I know using logic isn't your norm, and I know it may be a troubling task, but please, think before you hit the "send reply" button. It's irritating having to deal with the arrogance every time I disagree with you, to be real honest about it.
    Steroid use provides an unfair advantage. It can absolutely be random, player X may or may not be juicing, and the only real way to know if he is is by random drug testing. This suits your stance perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;489860;
    But they are needless occurences that interfere with the game. Why the hell should outside, random events, irrelevant to the game, affect the game at the hand? I will bet anything that you lived in Dallas as a Cowboys fan and lost a snowy playoff game in Green Bay/Chicago/Minnesota, you'd be flailing around yelling for there to be a stop to this.
    They violate the game's rules? :lol:

What are you getting at, exactly?

You're in the 'shit happens' camp, but you don't like the idea of extra-high hoops or trick ice?

Again, it's a violation of the league's rules to have extra-high hoops, and trick ice. The NFL has always allowed teams to play outside.

How about we put all the basketball and hockey teams outside then? Freezing rain/snowy NBA or NHL games? Ohfukyea. Remember, random outside occurences.
    Yeah, and Hockey is played inside to maintain the cold when the weather is too hot to play outside. In the NBA, then you're playing in freezing weather with nothing but shorts and a skimpy jersey, I think that's very different than shoulder pads, Under Armour, knee and thigh pads, helmets, and all that stuff that keeps a player warm. Really J_E?
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;489861;
    Steroid use provides an unfair advantage. It can absolutely be random, player X may or may not be juicing, and the only real way to know if he is is by random drug testing. This suits your stance perfectly.
    What? You're continuing to grasp at straws, you don't randomly take steroids because of a natural occurrence due to the environment. Steroids to rain from the heavens into your body and allow you to start playing with an unfair advantage. Also, you can't be trained to play against players with steroids besides using them yourself.
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Quote Originally Posted by Emmz;489862;
    They violate the game's rules? :lol:

What are you getting at, exactly?
    You live in Minnesota and your team is the beneficiary of the crapshoot/shit happens/home field thing. If you were a fan whose team went to Minnesota and lost under such circumstances, your tune would be different.

Again, it's a violation of the league's rules to have extra-high hoops, and trick ice. The NFL has always allowed teams to play outside.
    So change the rules. This isn't about the rules, the rules are meant so that the game can be fair, and baseball and the NFL have done a fine job of butchering that concept, particulary baseball.

Yeah, and Hockey is played inside to maintain the cold when the weather is too hot to play outside. In the NBA, then you're playing in freezing weather with nothing but shorts and a skimpy jersey, I think that's very different than shoulder pads, Under Armour, knee and thigh pads, helmets, and all that stuff that keeps a player warm. Really J_E?
    Shit happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmz;489863;
    What? You're continuing to grasp at straws, you don't randomly take steroids because of a natural occurrence due to the environment.
    Show me where I said this.

Steroids to rain from the heavens into your body and allow you to start playing with an unfair advantage.
    The point

Your head.

Also, you can't be trained to play against players with steroids besides using them yourself.
    And you don't necessarily know who is and isn't using steroids... just like you're not exactly sure when the crappy, shit happens weather is going to come and steal your season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;489864;
    You live in Minnesota and your team is the beneficiary of the crapshoot/shit happens/home field thing. If you were a fan whose team went to Minnesota and lost under such circumstances, your tune would be different.
    You're questioning my ability to determine what I believe, do to my home state now? Let me tell you what, the only reason I believe this is because I'm from Minnesota, and it really isn't that bad to me, that's the only reason you should be questioning my judgment on this, not because I live there, and I'm beneficiary, that's subject the debate.

So change the rules. This isn't about the rules, the rules are meant so that the game can be fair, and baseball and the NFL have done a fine job of butchering that concept, particulary baseball.
    So the rules should honestly say "NO OUTDOOR STADIUMS 4 U!"? Why don't you just change the name of it to the Nazi Fascist League. Honestly, if you want to have an outdoor stadium, build it, the rules are there to regulate what happens in the game itself, not the weather.

Shit happens.
    Filler. No response needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmz;489866;
    You're questioning my ability to determine what I believe, do to my home state now? Let me tell you what, the only reason I believe this is because I'm from Minnesota, and it really isn't that bad to me, that's the only reason you should be questioning my judgment on this, not because I live there, and I'm beneficiary, that's subject the debate.
    Isn't this what I just said? You live in Minnesota, the Vikings supposedly used to thrive in the cold weather, so any unfair advantage gained by cold weather teams is fine with you and the reasoning is simply 'shit happens'.

So the rules should honestly say "NO OUTDOOR STADIUMS 4 U!"? Why don't you just change the name of it to the Nazi Fascist League. Honestly, if you want to have an outdoor stadium, build it, the rules are there to regulate what happens in the game itself, not the weather.
    The rules should dictate that every team's stadium/playing area is uniformly constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;489865;
    Show me where I said this.
    You don't randomly take steroids, it's not a natural occurrence, so why are you comparing it to weather factors? It's only logical to use like comparisons

The point

Your head.
    No, it was just a weak "point". Try to use like-factors in comparisons instead of comparing steroid use to... Natural weather occurrences?

And you don't necessarily know who is and isn't using steroids... just like you're not exactly sure when the crappy, shit happens weather is going to come and steal your season.
    What I said above, use like-factors in comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;489867;
    Isn't this what I just said? You live in Minnesota, the Vikings supposedly used to thrive in the cold weather, so any unfair advantage gained by cold weather teams is fine with you and the reasoning is simply 'shit happens'.
    The reasoning is that it's a natural occurrence, and if a team doesn't want to construct a roof, they shouldn't have to, for two main reasons.

1. Why should they? If they see an advantage, exploit it. It's there, and there's no rules against it.

2. It costs a great deal of extra money at taxpayer's expense. The NFL can't tell teams that they need to make a stadium that is more expensive than it needs to be, basically because it'll piss of the people.

The rules should dictate that every team's stadium/playing area is uniformly constructed.
    You can't control what the stadium is constructed like because it's not part of the playing field. Beyond the field itself, it's all up to the ownership, and I doubt there's anything the NFL could do about that even if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;489846;
    Baseball should do it too. Same dimensions, same conditions.

But I guess that wouldn't be FUN!! enough for most people.
    No, it wouldn't. I prefer watching baseball and football games outside. Watching football games in a dome is not my idea of a good time. Games played outside are a helluva lot more aesthetically pleasing. And baseball parks with the same dimensions is also a lame idea. You're too concerned about leveling the playing field and eliminating variables. The climate, the wind, the rain, and the snow are all elements that make games more interesting. Maybe not to you, but then you don't care about a team's history either, so why am I not surprised?
    And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmz;489868;
    You don't randomly take steroids, it's not a natural occurrence, so why are you comparing it to weather factors? It's only logical to use like comparisons
    Steroid use is random. A player may or may not be taking them. You don't know.

No, it was just a weak "point". Try to use like-factors in comparisons instead of comparing steroid use to... Natural weather occurrences?
    How are they not like factors?

Both are unfair advantages for a certain team/player. Just because its a natural occurence doesn't mean it isn't an unfair advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;489878;
    Steroid use is random. A player may or may not be taking them. You don't know.
    No, steroid testing is random, not use. You don't randomly pot yourself with steroids, it's not a natural occurrence, and it's not like the weather.

How are they not like factors?
    *Sigh*

One is natural, one isn't. One is intentional, one is random.

Both are unfair advantages for a certain team/player. Just because its a natural occurence doesn't mean it isn't an unfair advantage.
    Irrelevant, they're not like "unfair advantages", even if you view it as an "unfair advantage", so you can't compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper;489876;
    No, it wouldn't. I prefer watching baseball and football games outside. Watching football games in a dome is not my idea of a good time. Games played outside are a helluva lot more aesthetically pleasing. And baseball parks with the same dimensions is also a lame idea. You're too concerned about leveling the playing field and eliminating variables. The climate, the wind, the rain, and the snow are all elements that make games more interesting. Maybe not to you, but then you don't care about a team's history either, so why am I not surprised?
    Am I right when I say that football was a game meant to be played outside? I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper;489876 View Post
    roflcopter

Games are plenty interesting when both teams are on a level playing field. Its actually more interesting that way. But you are right, I'm too sensible and down-to-earth to give a shit about history, tradition, and FUN!! being seeped out of sports by the possible inception of common sense.

Oh wait, the Chicago fan coming to Emmz's defense on the matter. hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;489882;
    roflcopter

Games are plenty interesting when both teams are on a level playing field. Its actually more interesting that way. But you are right, I'm too sensible and down-to-earth to give a shit about history, tradition, and FUN!! being seeped out of sports by the possible inception of common sense.

Oh wait, the Chicago fan coming to Emmz's defense on the matter. hmmmm
    Nice job on continuing the condescending trend, it's really appreciated. Just make your case without the added bullshit, it's irritating.

Anyhow, he's right, football's a game that belongs outdoors. It's the way the game was meant to be played.