Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Adopt a prospect

Legend
    Merrero if he hits could be a decent starter - and there is not much organizational depth there. Merrero imo has a high floor - he will play major league baseball for a living. The question is whether he'll be an extra guy or a true blue starter.

I do think he's blocked here - and with Cecchini and Bradley far and away the most likely position players to get moved in a deal for major league help.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    That's your opinion. Based on just looking at stats and parroting what others say.

I have not seen anything from him that screams MLB can't miss.
    No one is saying MLB can't miss, but I do feel like he's almost a lock to crack someone's roster eventually as a bench infielder. Basically in order for marrero not to be a major leaguer at some point, he has to not make any progress at all with the stick, and even then he could be a good tryout away from getting a serious look. Plus defensive MI's don't exactly grow on trees and Marrero can add a pretty seriously good speed tool to the mix as well -- not anything anyone hasn't seen before but more than good enough to be useful.

personally I think Marrero's in the minors right now mostly because the team thinks his hit tool can develop, not to an elite level, but maybe just enough that they can sell him to another team that has shortstop problems as a potential starter with a bench ceiling (low risk modest reward).

To be honest I'd actually rather have Marrero backing up this year and cut one of Nava or Craig. Holt can back up the OF better than either of those two, we only need one of them to back up 1B, and Holt isn't the kind of natural SS Marrero is. Bogaerts will hit, what I'd love to have on hand is a LIDR. I think if the verdict was that Marrero had no chance of hitting that's exactly what would have happened, since he's easily skilled enough right now to be useful in a reserve role.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

You mean bench floor, but otherwise I agree.
    We miss you Mike.

Bleah, sorry. My brain substitutes words all the time, especially when I'm tired.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.