Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankee Minor League notes

Yankee Minor League notes

So instructs have started and a few happenings seem to be going on with the demotions of a few players.

First of all, the guys who are coming stateside seem to be the following...

Gary Sanchez, Fernando Perez, Damien Taveras, and Eladio Moronta are now in camp.

Sanchez was the big fish from last yrs INTL FA period who will be slotting into the starting catching role in the GCL. Fernando Perez was previously Damian Arredondo, who was signed, but then voided and suspended for identity fraud. He was re-instated in January and quickly signed. He is really 18 or 19 by now and apparently runs a 6.3 60 yd dash, which is incredible. He'll be a starting infielder for the GCL team as well. Taveras is a DSL holdover who just mashed last yr at the catchers position. Reports say that he has been killing the ball this spring in the Dominican, and he has a real chance of platooning with JR Murphy in SI or with Sanchez in the GCL. And Eladio Moronta is a 20 yr old that we signed in November. He was coming off a suspension as well for lying about his age and signed for a 570K bonus. He is being compared to Raul Mondesi, a guy with a big bat and a bit arm. He'll probably also start in the GCL with a chance for promotion to the long season leagues should he show he can hit.

Other info on two pitchers that the yankees have their eyes on. One is Carlos Mattias, a hard throwing latin pitcher who was initially signed by Boston, but got suspended for lying about his age. He's short statured (5'11") and presumed to be 18 or 19, but throws upwards of 99mph. He is expected to receive a 7 figure bonus and looks like the Yankees are the frontrunners at this time.

The other is Rafael Depaula, the tall, slender dominican pitcher who was suspended for lying about his age. He's back on the market now and has been squarely in the sights of the yankees. He tops out in the high 90s and has a plus potential curve already. Sounds like he'll be another 7 figure bonus guy. He has a workout planned with the yankees on the 23rd which could rapidly turn into a contract

Other notes...Christian Garcia is looking healthy and strong after another injury plagued yr. Colin Curtis is just mashing in big league camp and with his strong AFL season, he might be putting himself back onto the prospect map. Slade Heathcott is surprising a lot of people in camp with his advanced bat and is quickly looking like a lock to being in the long season leagues. And of note, it looks like JR Murphy is going to be in extended spring training and eventually SI for 2010. His grouping in instructs has given him away, with Kyle Higashioka in Charleston.
    Hal sucks

Re: Yankee Minor League notes

Jesus Montero, Austin Romine, and Colin Curtis were re-assigned today. Montero went 3 for 8 with 2 doubles in his spring.
    Hal sucks

Jacko, what can you tell me about Ryan Pope?

Only reason I ask is that, when I was in Florida last week, I was at a restaurant where the waiter told me he was very good friends with Pope.

He's a guy from a small school who came out of college with promising stuff. Low 90s heat, good curve, passable change, workable slider. Kinda got pushed too quickly, saw a massive drop in velocity last yr leading to horrible numbers. Started to get the velocity back by season's end and from what I have been told, he's got his old velocity back and looks like a new pitcher this spring. He went from possibly being cut to being back in the prospect discussion. Interesting guy to keep an eye on, but my guess is he ends up a middle reliever or a back end starter in another organization
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;530344;
    He's a guy from a small school who came out of college with promising stuff. Low 90s heat, good curve, passable change, workable slider. Kinda got pushed too quickly, saw a massive drop in velocity last yr leading to horrible numbers. Started to get the velocity back by season's end and from what I have been told, he's got his old velocity back and looks like a new pitcher this spring. He went from possibly being cut to being back in the prospect discussion. Interesting guy to keep an eye on, but my guess is he ends up a middle reliever or a back end starter in another organization
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

There's good and bad coming from the yankee minor league camp.

The Good: Jairo Heredia looks like a beast these days and seems poised to overcome his injury plagues 2009 season

The Bad: Alan Horne tore his rotator cuff and is due for surgery. His season, and likely his career, is done
    Hal sucks

A few notes from camp...

Caleb Cotham tweaked his surgically repaired knee and will likely miss the first few weeks of the season. It is being billed as precautionary, which is understandable

David Adams, who hasnt played in a game this spring, will be ready to start the season. He's been dealing with an ailing elbow.

Christian Garcia has been downright filthy in the spring. He is slated to start again this season in the Trenton rotation, although IMO the pen is a better idea since he's made of glass

Jeremy Bleich has seen his stuff improve since he's had a few mechanical tweaks. Should be interesting to see how he bounces back from his second half slaughter in AA

Slade Heathcott looks like a pest in the making. He's now had a week of multi-hit games, making seasoned minor league pitchers look foolish. His biggest problem seems to be reading pitchers, as he's been picked off a few times. Regardless, he's set to slide into the starting CF role in Charleston and should be a lot of fun to watch
    Hal sucks

Jesus Montero drills a double in his first AAA at bat.
    Hal sucks

:sleep:

you wont be saying that when he starts doing this in the Bronx. Which will be coming soon
    Hal sucks

Also, even though he dominated minor league camp, Slade Heathcott is in extended spring training and will be starting the season in June with the SI Yankees
    Hal sucks

Legend

btw, why do you feel the need to ruin the thread?
    Hal sucks

Legend

Ruining the thread would imply it was once good. That being said, I won't "ruin" your Yankees minor league notes thread on a Red Sox forum by dragging this spat on further. Good day, sir.

Good day to you too....troll
    Hal sucks