Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Red Sox 2010 draft picks

Boston Red Sox 2010 draft picks

First pick for the sox coming up in about an hour. The goal of this thread is to have the picks and discussion of those picks only. Do not post in this thread yet please. I will post the player, position, scouting report and my take on the first player, then lets discuss. Sound good? If this is redundant, then kill it mods. But just figured I would save this only for those picks actually made.
    Hal sucks

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Re: Boston Red Sox 2010 draft picks

Nevermind, i fucked up the name and now it's used as the MLB thread. However, as a Yankee fan, how about you stick mainly to Yanks analysis, let a Red Sox fan do the initial draft pick analysis (me) then chime in.
    WAR is good for something.

Sox on the clock. I dont mind at all. I want everyone to put their thoughts on this pick. It's your first pick, why not? I will give you the SR, name, position, and age.
    Hal sucks

This is my rifle....

Your take? Lol.

Copying and pasting a SR about some kid you've never seen play is one hell of a take.

1st pick- Kolbrin Vitek- 2b out of Ball State. Sounds like he might be converted to OFer.
    Hal sucks

This is my rifle....

Oh noes, but they already have Pedroia.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Kolbrin Vitek, 2B, 04/01/1989
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by ORS;555892;
    Your take? Lol.

Copying and pasting a SR about some kid you've never seen play is one hell of a take.
    It's better than nothing? Plus, I have a few sources I go to, but you are right. I have never seen these guys play.

Regardless, here is the MLB.com SR

Hitting ability: Vitek is one of the better pure hitters in the college ranks. He's very short to the ball with excellent bat speed. He's got a strong track record of hitting well everywhere he goes.

Power: There's definitely some power there, though there's some debate over just how much he'll show in the future.

Running speed: He's got well above-average speed. He runs a great 60, but it doesn't always play that well in games.

Base running: He's a very good base runner who is a base-stealing threat.

Arm strength: He has an average to solid-average arm.

Fielding: He's moved around a bit defensively. His hands and feet aren't great for second base. Perhaps a move to the outfield would be best.

Range: He doesn't move all that well in the infield, but he does have enough speed to handle an outfield position.

Physical Description: He's got a similar look, and playing style, to 2009 first-rounder A.J. Pollock.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Excellent overall hitting skills, some power and speed. Also a pitcher with decent arm strength.

Weaknesses: No clear defensive home. Second base doesn't look to be a good fit, so perhaps the outfield. But does he have the power for a corner or the speed for center?

Summary: Wherever Vitek has gone, he's hit. He plays at a smaller program, but in a year with a lack of premium bats at big programs, his production is getting noticed. His bat speed and mechanics should make him an excellent hitter at the next level. He's got power, though there's some debate how much there will be at the next level. He also runs pretty well. The main question with Vitek is where he'll play defensively, as his current home at second doesn't appear to be a great fit. He's athletic enough to play the outfield, and that might be the best bet. Wherever he plays, it's his bat that has people interested, and that's what will get him drafted in the first couple of rounds.
    Hal sucks

This is my rifle....

Dude, sweet, a kid we drafted as a position player can pump it in at 98 mph.

Sounds like another Red Sox type player. Leader, great attitude, versatile, good approach. Sounds like he has good offensive projectability and might be an OFer when he comes to Boston. Will get some more info as it comes available
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by ORS;555901;
    Dude, sweet, a kid we drafted as a position player can pump it in at 98 mph.
    Sorry man, I snagged the wrong one. That was Allie
    Hal sucks

As a college draftee, sounds like the sox are aiming slot with their first pick. Hearing rumors that Ranaudo wont get past the sox in the supp round if he falls. They go slot in round 1, knowing they are going over slot in the supp round
    Hal sucks

Have now read a few sites and have seen some analysis on this pick from the scout.com site as well as a few others. Sounds like a ball player. A hard nosed, all purpose ball player. Good bat with upside, will steal some bases, has a good arm. Not a guy slated to hit 30 homers, but just a good bat with good tools. A solid, unspectacular pick who should rise the ranks fast.
    Hal sucks

1. Kolbrin Vitek
    2. Bryce Brentz

Brentz out of Middle Tennessee St University, he is a hell of a pick. He's gonna cost a pretty penny. Kid has some serious power AND is another guy who fits into the "ball player" mold.
    Hal sucks

Scouting Report
    Hitting ability: Brentz has a short, compact stroke and could become an above-average hitter.

Power: He should have solid average-to-plus power and has it to all fields.

Running speed: He's shown average speed.

Base running: He's a solid base runner, though it likely won't be a big part of his game.

Arm strength: Clocked as high as 93 mph from the mound, he has plenty of arm strength from the outfield.

Fielding: He's an average defender in the outfield now and should be solid-average in a corner spot in the future.

Range: He has average range, but enough to handle playing a corner OF spot.

Physical Description: Brentz has an athletic and well-defined, strong, medium frame. He has a build somewhat like Chad Curtis.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Excellent offensive skills, with hitting ability and plenty of power. He has an outstanding arm from the outfield.

Weaknesses: He can be overly aggressive at the plate and is occasionally top-hand dominant with his swing.

Summary: A year after having one of the best offensive seasons in college baseball, Brentz entered his Draft year as one of the top pure college hitters. He's done nothing to alter that impression. He has a short, compact stroke and plenty of power to all fields. A two-way player in the past, the arm that worked well for him on the mound is more than enough from the outfield. He could be one of the top college bats to come off the board.
    Hal sucks