Register now to remove this ad

Page 331 of 527 FirstFirst ... 231281321329330331332333341381431 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,965 of 7895

Thread: Official NFL thread

When a the best defensive team makes it to the Super Bowl, that team always wins and it is often a blowout. When 2 top defensive teams meat, it is usually close and low scoring. In Super Bowl V the Cowboys Doomsday Defense was almost legendary. They faced the Colts, which many believed had a better defense than Dallas played what was called the "Fumble Bowl." It wasn't that the offenses were bad or played a particularly bad game. The Defenses just controlled the game.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Seattle definitely doesn't look like a one-and-done team. Will they be able to keep most of their top players for the next few years?
    Definitely, these guys have expressed that they'd be willing to play for less for Carroll. He has a great system there, and it's mostly just built off of how much the players respect him. He pushes them, but he also lets them do their own thing. His skills at recruiting are legendary, so you know he knows how to get players to buy into his scheme, and that's really half the battle. Their fans are incredible, SB48 was practically a home game for them, and I don't think Denver was expecting it. They have the fans on their side, they have a great defensive scheme, a franchise QB, an elite group of receivers and an elite RB. And they're almost all young, so they're going to be around for a long, long time. IMO, they're the next great dynasty a la the Pats. Would be very surprised if they didn't win at least a couple more in the next 3-4 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    When a the best defensive team makes it to the Super Bowl, that team always wins and it is often a blowout. When 2 top defensive teams meat, it is usually close and low scoring. In Super Bowl V the Cowboys Doomsday Defense was almost legendary. They faced the Colts, which many believed had a better defense than Dallas played what was called the "Fumble Bowl." It wasn't that the offenses were bad or played a particularly bad game. The Defenses just controlled the game.
    Yep, I'm pretty sure I said that defensive teams would match up well against Seattle. San Fran did, Carolina had earlier in the year, and Cincy probably would have been a good matchup. Denver's offense/special teams are really what killed them in this game. 16 points that the defense had nothing to do with, and then there were 3 other turnovers, pretty sure they all led to points. So yeah, defense won the day, Seattle wasn't dominant offensively, just very efficient (they punted once), and Denver's historic offense was smothered all night.
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    I'd like to see Seattle sell tshirts that have Denver's logo and PROPERTY OF SEAHAWKS.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Last edited by SCM33; 02-03-2014 at 08:18 PM.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    1. Adderall is an ADHD supplement, like Ritalin, not a PED. It makes you focus.

2. The second article actually attempts to dismiss the argument that the Seahawks are cheating, which was made by the Wall Street Journal. Btw, you would expect more defensive pass interference and holding calls from a team that plays as physically as Seattle. There is absolutely no proof that the Seahawks are intentionally bending the rules, and even if they did, it's the officials' fault for not penalizing them for it. Here's another gem from the WSJ.

The Patriots were caught cheating. Regardless, neither team should have an asterisk next to their championship, since

Quote Originally Posted by The Campfighter View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4719664.html

This was the best commercial without question.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmz View Post
    Even if we accept that ADHD exists, how many of those players do you think have a legitimate ADHD diagnosis? It's 99.9% likely that team psychiatrists overdiagnose it. In the small chance that a team psychiatrist has any medical ethics, I'll bet they can easily find a private psychiatrist to write them a prescription. However, it's not fair to single out the Seahawks. Richard Sherman estimates that 50% of the NFL is on adderall, so I'd guess every team has a lot of players using it.

I should also add that I find it highly doubtful that there are many NFL players using it as legitimate medicine. It's not as bad as steroids, but it's still a PED.
    Last edited by rjortiz; 02-03-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjortiz View Post
    Even if we accept that ADHD exists, how many of those players do you think have a legitimate ADHD diagnosis? It's 99.9% likely that team psychiatrists overdiagnose it. In the small chance that a team psychiatrist has any medical ethics, I'll bet they can easily find a private psychiatrist to write them a prescription. However, it's not fair to single out the Seahawks. Richard Sherman estimates that 50% of the NFL is on adderall, so I'd guess every team has a lot of players using it.

I should also add that I find it highly doubtful that there are many NFL players using it as legitimate medicine. It's not as bad as steroids, but it's still a PED.
    I'm pretty sure that ADHD in general is overdiagnosed, though. You don't pay attention to boring lectures in class, you have ADHD. You don't do your homework, you have ADHD. You can play into it pretty easily and get the drugs, and even then, I'm not so sure it's a performance enhancing drug. Like I said, it makes you focus, it doesn't make you stronger, it doesn't make you smarter, it makes you more interested in things that are normally boring. Some people actually need it to focus, and why should it be held against them that their mind works in a different way?

Oh, I am sure they had prescriptions for it right? Oh thats right, they didn't, which makes it a PED. If the drug makes you focus more than your opponent, it is performance enhancing, therefore...cheating.

The Patriots were caught cheating. Regardless, neither team should have an asterisk next to their championship, since
    Patriots were caught doing something every NFL team did AFTER a league wide memo was sent out. Since 2007, when they were "caught".....they have the best record in the NFL. No Super Bowls, but they have been in the AFC title game twice and the Super Bowl twice.

I am not taking anything away from Seattle, they were the best team in the NFL by far this year. I just find it funny they they do a lot of "cheating" and bending of the rules but people still talk about "spygate" and how unfair the no huddle offense is year after year. If you are going to cry foul, be consistent (not to you Emmz, just in general to Patriots bashers).
    Last edited by SCM33; 02-04-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Banned
    I'm pretty sure that ADHD in general is overdiagnosed, though. You don't pay attention to boring lectures in class, you have ADHD. You don't do your homework, you have ADHD.
    I agree, but NFL players are taking it to another level. Not surprising considering that millions of dollars are at stake. 4.4% of adults have ADHD, and Sherman estimated that 50% of them use adderall? Considering how easy it is to get a prescription, and the repercussions of getting caught, you would have to be beyond stupid to not get a legal prescription. I'd imagine that most of those players are diagnosed, but there's no way to know for sure.

You can play into it pretty easily and get the drugs, and even then, I'm not so sure it's a performance enhancing drug. Like I said, it makes you focus, it doesn't make you stronger, it doesn't make you smarter, it makes you more interested in things that are normally boring.
    First of all, what is your definition of a PED?

Focus should really be represented as FOCUS!!!!!!!!!. It's a slower acting, faster break down version of meth. There's a lot of dopamine being released when you take adderall. It's going to lead to someone being far more alert, and far more energetic than someone without that happening. My workouts are 5X as effective on adderall. You don't feel tired, and you don't quit. I do more sets at heavier weights than I ever could without it. I'm not comparing myself with an NFL player, but I imagine they are similarly effected by an increase in dopamine levels. I'd think that they'd find benefits in the gym as well.

I don't think it's as bad as steroid use, but it clearly enhances focus and energy way beyond someone who isn't using it. I could probably make an argument for other positive side-effects, but I'll just keep it to those.

Some people actually need it to focus, and why should it be held against them that their mind works in a different way?
    Technically, anyone with a diagnosis needs it. Objectively disseminating between a legitimate and an illegitimate diagnosis is virtually impossible. Personally, I don't believe that the minds, or brains as psychiatrists would claim, in people with ADHD work in any different pattern. That's a different topic, though.

Banned
    Oh, I am sure they had prescriptions for it right? Oh thats right, they didn't, which makes it a PED. If the drug makes you focus more than your opponent, it is performance enhancing, therefore...cheating.
    It's still a PED with the prescription, but you're being dishonest when you focus on adderall use from just one team. That drug is widely used by every NFL locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by rjortiz View Post
    First of all, what is your definition of a PED?

Focus should really be represented as FOCUS!!!!!!!!!. It's a slower acting, faster break down version of meth. There's a lot of dopamine being released when you take adderall. It's going to lead to someone being far more alert, and far more energetic than someone without that happening. My workouts are 5X as effective on adderall. You don't feel tired, and you don't quit. I do more sets at heavier weights than I ever could without it. I'm not comparing myself with an NFL player, but I imagine they are similarly effected by an increase in dopamine levels. I'd think that they'd find benefits in the gym as well.
    By definition, performance is completing a task, so your ability to complete a task is better or easier than it was before by using the drug. Focus is only mental, and isn't even tangible. Steroids literally increase your muscle growth, and that's something that's physical and therefore tangible. You can prove that steroids improve your chances of succeeding in sports, because they make you stronger, whereas ritalin/adderall really isn't proven to do that. What tangible thing is improved by taking adderall?

I don't think it's as bad as steroid use, but it clearly enhances focus and energy way beyond someone who isn't using it. I could probably make an argument for other positive side-effects, but I'll just keep it to those.
    Does it enhance energy or focus, or do the dopamines give you the illusion of that? Those are two separate things, and things that anyone saying they're "performance enhancing" should have to prove. If they want to ban the substance, that's their decision, just like it's a decision to ban weed. Weed makes you more relaxed, maybe that should be a performance enhancing drug as well, Christian Ponder sure as hell could use some of that.

Technically, anyone with a diagnosis needs it. Objectively disseminating between a legitimate and an illegitimate diagnosis is virtually impossible. Personally, I don't believe that the minds, or brains as psychiatrists would claim, in people with ADHD work in any different pattern. That's a different topic, though.
    That's what I'm saying, and almost anyone can have it diagnosed. Who's to say they don't have ADHD. If you have a hard time focusing, if you're lethargic because of boredom, then maybe you do have ADHD.

It doesn't give you any physical competitive advantage over your opponent, and if it doesn't do that, how can you prove that it increases performance? Isn't completing a task an action? Since the definition of performance is to complete a task or objective, and since an action is something that you do physically, then performance enhancing would have to be something that helps you physically. It doesn't build muscle, it doesn't make you jump higher, it doesn't make you run faster, so what exactly is it enhancing that can actually be quantified? Absolutely not one single thing. It is not a PED.