Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2010-2011 Hotstove Thread

Re: Yankees 2010-2011 Hotstove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Sideburn;573920;
    this is exactly what i'm talking about. how evil of the red sox to replace damon's production with a more productive tandem of coco crisp and jacoby ellsbury at a third of the cost
    Crisp was WAY more productive. Wait....

Damon signed with the Yankees from 2006-2009. His numbers crush Crisp's.

Ellsbury didnt become productive on his own until 2008, and Damon had a much better yr in 2008. In 2009, both were very productive, and Ellsbury would take the cake, but by a slim margin in my book. So you're "cheap option" saw a major drop in production for the first 3 yrs of a 4 yr deal with the 4th yr being slightly in your favor
    Hal sucks

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by BSN07;573990;
    Really?
    Yes, I heard it on MLBN mildy-hotstove two nights ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;573992;
    Crisp was WAY more productive. Wait....

Damon signed with the Yankees from 2006-2009. His numbers crush Crisp's.

Ellsbury didnt become productive on his own until 2008, and Damon had a much better yr in 2008. In 2009, both were very productive, and Ellsbury would take the cake, but by a slim margin in my book. So you're "cheap option" saw a major drop in production for the first 3 yrs of a 4 yr deal with the 4th yr being slightly in your favor
    damon's contract ran from 2006-2009. over that time period, coco crisp and jacoby ellsbury had a better WAR in the time that they played for the red sox than damon did and they cost a fraction as much

score another one for theo
    budda yaz - i'm trying to be nice so cut me some slack

I have been sitting back and thinking of ways to improve this club in the offseason. Obviously, it is wonderful that this team is in the playoffs, but everyone knows my favorite times of yr are October through December (playoffs through the majority of the hot stove).

When it comes to lineup....

Catcher and DH you have Posada and Cervelli. Posada put up another solid offensive season, but his defensive skills have massively eroded to a point that he is a detriment as a regular catcher. Cue Posada being relegated to 2-3 day a week catcher and 3-4 day a week DH. I think this is the time for Jesus Montero to rise to the bigs. He has shown enough defensively (especially with his arm) to warrant big league time. He could use the tutelage of a veteran like Posada, and I think Posada could benefit on both sides of the ball when he isnt catching 100 times in a season. And Montero is probably the #1 or #2 offensive prospect in the minors right now. You keep Cervelli around as the true backup while Posada and Montero split DH and C. After a 3 month period of mediocrity, Montero OPS'd nearly 1.100 as the regular catcher in AAA. He's ready, nothing left to prove in the minors

First-base- Tex has another 6yrs on his deal. He should avoid his ridiculous 2 month slump this upcoming season, seeing as he never slumped THAT badly. My guess is that he continues the 30HR 100RBI pace, but with an OPS over .900 next yr.

Second-base- Robinson Cano is around through 2013 at least and coming off an MVP caliber season, he is going nowhere. He fluorished behind ARod and became a legitimate power threat. He has a sweet swing, he made strides in the walks department and really showed some impressive opposite field power as well as power vs lefties. He is entering his prime, so he might be even better next yr. Regardless, pencil him in as the #5 hitter again.

Short-stop- Obviously Jeter is back. They arent going to hardball him, but I do think a deal in the $14-$15 mil range for 3 seasons is about what he gets. The biggest thing Jeter needs to do in the offseason is go back to AP and work on his agility. His hands were as good as ever, but his range suffered and his bat was slow. He is aging, so the time comes where you either succomb to it or you fight it by working even harder. Seems like he didnt work hard enough in the offseason. The other thing that Jeter being back would require is a good enough backup to start about 2 games a week between SS and 3B and not be an absolute black hole in the lineup. This is where I think Eduardo Nunez comes in. If I had it my way, I would actually look to Nunez as a starter for next yr and upgrade elsewhere, but what do I know. It is nice to have a prospect who is absolutely ready for the starting role be your backup.

Third-base- ARod has an interesting yr. The homers came once he finally got healthy and the RBIs were there, but his eye disappeared and his OPS plummeted. If Girardi plays him like an older player and rests him in the DH role once a week, I bet ARod comes out and puts up an MVP caliber season. This yr, he was obviously slowed by the hip for the first half of the yr, then the 600HR chase and then the calf kinda hindered him a bit. As long as he isnt run into the ground, I am betting his bat comes back to life with a .900+OPS season and another 30/100 yr.

Left-field- Brett Gardner had a great season for those who never thought he should start. He saw the most pitches in the AL, had a great OBP and stole 45+ bases. The next thing they need to figure out is if he can be a leadoff hitter for good. He should not be batting in the 9 hole next yr or in the 8 hole when Cervelli or Nunez starts. He has no power, he doesnt hit well in the clutch and cannot lift a ball when needed. But his entire game is about getting on base and being a total pest, which helps the team immensely especially with him seeing a ton of pitches to start off the game. The question is if his finish is due to fatigue or is it an adjustment pitchers made to him. My guess is fatigue, since this was his first full season in the bigs as a starter and baseball through September is new for him

Center-field- Curtis Granderson had a tale of two seasons. His first half showed the ability to club righties but an absolute inability to hit lefties. Then, after working with Long, he started hitting lefties and finished the yr with a respectable OPS and 24 homers. He has a ton of power and is a solid baserunner, yet not a good base stealer. Regardless, the question is if he can continue to hit lefties with regularity. If he cannot, then he should be a platoon player. If not, then he could emerge as a top flight CFer in the bigs. It all depends on that ability to hit southpaws

Right-field Nick Swisher is under control through 2011. He had a hell of a yr, although he had pretty much the exact same OPS as 2009, although he hit 40 points higher. We are seeing a lot of that this yr, with a lot of patient hitters not walking as much as they did in the past. Not sure if it is the umpires or not, but that is definitely interesting. Regardless, no reason to think he cannot continue an OPS in the high .800s, but how he does it is anyone's guess. My bet is that he drops off in AVG and we see the BBs go up

Rotation

Here is what we know:

CC will be the ace and should be counted on once again for nearly 20 wins, 200+IP and a low 3's ERA like clockwork

Hughes will probably be the #3 and should build off a promising, yet erratic first full season as a starting pitcher in the bigs. My guess is that he puts together a very good yr next yr, even better in terms of peripherals, although the wins will probably be the same (he was a recipient of ridiculous run support this yr).

Burnett will probably be the #4 starter. Burnett had a horrible yr and a horrible finish. I refuse to believe that he will continue to be a 5-6ERA guy. He should drop back into the 4s in terms of ERA even by accident. But his days as our #2 are over after they barely began.

Here is what I think happens:

2 scenarios.....

With Cliff Lee: With Lee, you have two left handed dominant innings eaters who should combine to throw 440IP and win 40 games. Plus, you have Hughes who looked very promising in what really amounted to his rookie campaign out of the rotation. Those three would make the top of the Yankee rotation incredibly formidable. That would leave Burnett as a guy who just needs to give innings and a #5 spot that could be used as a rotating audition for the many young pitchers in the AAA ranks for this club.

Without Cliff Lee: If somehow Lee spurns NY (really only feasible if Lee doesnt want to come to NY), then the Yankees are in trouble. Resigning Pettitte would be a must, as he would close out the #3 spot, move Hughes to #4 and Burnett to #5. But that would leave the #2 spot open. A trade would be a significant likelihood as I dont think Lilly or Kuroda could fill that spot (those are the second tier SPs after Lee). The good thing is, they have the prospects to make it happen. The bad thing is that the guy they need is a FA and if we dont get him, then we have to not only pay for a player with cash, but overpay with minor league talent. Regardless, unless a bona fide dominant AL starter comes our way, this scenario is a dire one for the Yankees.

Bullpen
    This one is intriguing. Rivera is resigning. My guess is a 2 yr 30 mil deal. Wood wants to close, so the Yankees probably lose him (although they might offer arb and grab a pick). But having Rivera, Robertson, Joba, Logan back is a great place to start. There should be plenty of relievers available if the Yankees go that way, but they could also fill the ranks from within.

Well, there it is. That is my hot stove. I think the only signings on the offensive end are Jeter and maybe a bench bat. The big pitching signing will definitely be a rotation guy and Rivera. Regardless, if Cliff Lee suits up in NY for 2011, then we will be nearly impossible to keep out of the playoffs if healthy.
    Hal sucks

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Meh;573630;
    Yep, YES is going national. If you have cable you'd know the Braves did it with TBS.
    It's already national. I had it on my cable in Florida, I have it in Texas. The games are blacked out though.

What the Braves did with TBS in the late 80's and early 90's was show games nationally. They no longer do that. The creation of Extra Innings and MLB.TV changed the broadcast rules/regulations. You have to pay the league extra to broadcast nationally and interfere with the protected broadcast exclusivity of the "home" team in each region. Is this what you are talking about them doing? If not, it's pointless for you to keep bringing this up as support of the increased payroll capability you forsee.

Also, TBS has appeal for its' non-sports programming. YES has none.

YES has appeal for Yankee fans as there are Yankeeography's, replays, and a few other interesting tidbits. There are also spring training games, which I think is the most important part of having YES, IMO. But you are right, the MLB Extra Innings is going to kill billions in TV revenue for a national TV channel predicated on a baseball team. Regardless, it will earn much more money by going national, and I wouldnt be surprised if it ends up adding other networking to it so that it can mold itself into a TBS type program
    Hal sucks

yes probably have to change it's name if it's going to be like tbs. it doesn't make sense for people to turn into the yankees entertainment and sports or whatever it's called to watch friends. i don't see it

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Copyright © 2010 by Spudboy
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Sideburn;583810;
    yes probably have to change it's name if it's going to be like tbs. it doesn't make sense for people to turn into the yankees entertainment and sports or whatever it's called to watch friends. i don't see it
    Maybe it changes to Steinbrenner broadcasting station. Or, it could put in a serious bid for the ALDS when TBS' contract is up
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;584345;
    Maybe it changes to Steinbrenner broadcasting station. Or, it could put in a serious bid for the ALDS when TBS' contract is up
    all things that will take a long time and not factor into this offseason's spending

Oh of course. THat being said, though, getting onto cable nationally is a massive moneymaker
    Hal sucks

All-Star

My top 50 is under construction. But if I had to give a top 50 at this point, it would look something like this..... And I graduate players when they make the bigs. So Nova and Nunez have graduated. I had Nunez in the 11-12 range and Nova around 18-19 prior to them coming up

1. Jesus Montero- C
    2. Manuel Banuelos- LHP
    3. Dellin Betances- RHP
    4. Austin Romine- C
    5. Andrew Brackman- RHP
    6. Gary Sanchez- C
    7. Corban Joseph- 2B
    8. Graham Stoneburner- RHP
    9. Slade Heathcott- CF
    10. David Phelps- RHP
    11. David Adams- 2B
    12. Robert Segedin- 3B
    13. JR Murphy- C/3B/OF
    14. Cito Culver- SS
    15. Hector Noesi- RHP
    16. Jose Ramirez- RHP
    17. Brandon Laird- 1B/3B/RF
    18. Adam Warren- RHP
    19. Mason Williams- CF
    20. Brett Marshall- RHP
    21. Bryan Mitchell- RHP
    22. Angelo Gumbs- 2B/SS
    23. DJ Mitchell- RHP
    24. Zoilo Almonte- OF
    25. Eduardo Sosa- CF
    26. Melky Mesa- OF
    27. Sean Black- RHP
    28. Kelvin DeLeon- OF
    29. Cristofer Cabrera- RHP
    30. Ramon Flores- CF
    31. Tommy Kahnle- RHP
    32. Bradley Suttle- 1B
    33. Gabe Encinas- RHP
    34. Anderson Felix- 2B
    35. Henry Pena- OF
    36. Yeicok Calderon- OF
    37. Lance Pendleton- RHP
    38. Taylor Morton- RHP
    39. Mikey O'Brien- RHP
    40. Nik Turley- LHP
    41. Jose Mojica- SS
    42. Ravel Santana- OF
    43. Kennedy Agramonte- RHP
    44. Taylor Anderson- OF
    45. Jorge Alcantara- 3B/OF
    46. Jose Pirela- SS
    47. Abraham Almonte- CF
    48. Jeremy Bleich- LHP
    49. Kyle Higashioka- C
    50. Evan Rutchkyj- LHP

Notable mention:
    Matthew Richardson- RHP
    Dan Brewer- OF
    George Kontos- RHP (see if he recovers well from TJS next yr)
    Jairo Heredia- RHP (see how he recovers from a shoulder injury)
    Robert Lyerly- 3B
    Rafael Polo- 3B
    Daniel Burawa- RHP
    Evan DeLuca- LHP
    Eladio Moronta- OF
    Mariel Checo- RHP
    Taylor Morton- RHP
    Damon Sublett- OF
    Brett Gerritse- RHP
    Chris Austin- OF
    Ben Gamel- OF

That's a rough top 50, the last 15 or so off the top of my head.
    Hal sucks

All-Star

I like it, I think you're a bit too high on Black, I'd move him back a few spots but thats just me. I'd probably switch Flores to 27, suttle to 30 and Black to 32. Can't wait to see the write ups tho

Black improved A LOT in the last 1/3 of the season. His velocity increased, his location improved and he showed improved bite on the breaking ball, which earned him a late season promotion to Tampa. He's a polished arm with great stuff.
    Hal sucks