Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BOOKS!

BOOKS!

For the more cerebral Talksox members....read any good books lately?

I just plowed through the Stieg Larson trilogy while on vacation. I stayed up until 4 am reading one night. :lol: I also read The Hunt for Red October on the same trip and I'm now about to start Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart.

Re: BOOKS!

I own about 550 or so Star Trek books. (Trying to get them all). I just got a new one yesterday, as a matter of fact. Corps of Engineers: What's Past. I like it.

I guess Star Trek isn't cerebral though. On the other hand, some of them are very well-written

Have you guys read the Born to Play book by Laser Show

Cujo...King
    Rocket Boys (October Sky is the movie)
    Night...The Nazi concentration camp book by a survivor.
    "People always ask me if I wish I were bigger. I tell them no. I always wanted to be a miniature badass." Dustin Pedroia

Quote Originally Posted by bsox0407;574197;

Cujo...King
    I don't think anyone has every listed Stephen King and Elie Wiesel together before. Congratulations.

they are both good books that i was forced to read. but i liked them non the less.
    "People always ask me if I wish I were bigger. I tell them no. I always wanted to be a miniature badass." Dustin Pedroia

Quote Originally Posted by bsox0407;574197;

Cujo...King
    I read Night last year in school. Very good book.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Read 'The God Delusion' by Dawkins. Very entertaining. Youll thank me afterwards.

Cerebral Talksox members?

I guess you're looking for a small audience!:lol::lol:

Given that most members are young (and they have not had the good fortune to attend the Newton schools), here are some good ones.

A Separate Peace

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

Black Boy

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Catcher in the Rye.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Huck Finn Was really good and so was tom Sawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by bsox0407;574216;
    Huck Finn Was really good and so was tom Sawyer.
    I forgot Tom Sawyer.

I'm glad you enjoyed them.

The books that I listed would enrich the lives of anyone who read them. They are timeless works that impart a better understanding of humanity.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I hate reading usually but there are some that are awesome. I like the book Faithful by Steven King.

I just read "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts and it blew my mind.
    http://www.amazon.com/Shantaram-Nove.../dp/0312330529

Currently reading:

-Freakonomics by Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt
    -Columbine by Dave Cullen
    -Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;574213;
    Black Boy
    Read that back in 9th grade. Really good book.

I'm not currently reading anything. Don't get me wrong, I love to read, but being at college and always out doing something/studying/homework I feel like I won't be able to read enough consistently to enjoy the book.

To Kill a Mockingbird was the best novel I read in High School