Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: BOOKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    Ulysses, Lolita, Tropic of Cancer...

Okay, seriously though. Where the Wild Things Are.

And when he gets a little older, the Phantom Tollbooth. That book is directly responsible for my love of wordplay, vocabulary, and language in general.
    We love many Maurice Sendak books. I grew up reading the Little Bear books (illustrated by Sendak) and my daughter loves "A Kiss for Little Bear."

I'll have to check out the Phantom Tollbooth as that isn't one I'm familiar with. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Peter Rabbit?
    Did you not see the picture of my son wearing a Benjamin Bunny hat that his grandma made him? The Peter Rabbit books are fun, but pretty short.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Did you not see the picture of my son wearing a Benjamin Bunny hat that his grandma made him? The Peter Rabbit books are fun, but pretty short.
    I may have. I don't know.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    When he's older, do NOT give him The Giving Tree. That shit should have been banned.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Ulysses, Lolita, Tropic of Cancer...
    I just read Lolita for the first time...I've seen the movie 4-5 times. I now realize that Nabokov is one of the all-time literary masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    When he's older, do NOT give him The Giving Tree. That shit should have been banned.
    Already on his bookshelf.

Is Tropic of Cancer worth a read? Haven't gotten around to that one yet.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    You shut your damned mouth. Shel Silverstein was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Books I have read the past few months:

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

Before They Are Hanged - Joe Abercrombie

Dune - Frank Herbert

For my son: currently reading Wrinkle in Time before bed.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Dune is awesome, but stop reading the series when Frank Herbert's son's name starts appearing on the book covers. A Wrinkle in Time is also an excellent book, even if the movie was terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Dune is awesome, but stop reading the series when Frank Herbert's son's name starts appearing on the book covers. A Wrinkle in Time is also an excellent book, even if the movie was terrible.
    I had never read Dune before as I had put it off for no apparent reason. Most of my friends have read it. I had seen the Lynch movie a few times and was a little worried at all the kwisatch haderach/bene gesserit/CHOAM stuff at the start of the book as I thought it would get too confusing. It was a good read though. I heard the second book isn't very good though.

My son is enjoying A Wrinkle in Time. I'm enjoying reading it instead of the entire Harry Potter series that we slogged through.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I had never read Dune before as I had put it off for no apparent reason. Most of my friends have read it. I had seen the Lynch movie a few times and was a little worried at all the kwisatch haderach/bene gesserit/CHOAM stuff at the start of the book as I thought it would get too confusing. It was a good read though. I heard the second book isn't very good though.

My son is enjoying A Wrinkle in Time. I'm enjoying reading it instead of the entire Harry Potter series that we slogged through.
    All of the Dune books in the original series are pretty much excellent except God Emperor. That is a dud not a Dune. Still, for continuity, you pretty much have to read it.

Chapterhouse is really good. Using sex as a weapon is a great idea.

The Prequels are not as good but still worth reading if you get into Dune.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Oh, I've seen several versions of the Lynch movie. They are all good.

I was skeptical of the Science Channel movies but they were actually very well done.

Shai alude dudes.

Guess I have to check out the rest of the series now!

If you haven't, watch this documentary on a failed attempt to make another Dune movie.

Jodorowsky's Dune
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/
    Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4OCeSTL08

"Alejandro Jodorowsky had originally planned on filming Dune in the early-'70s, and had enlisted the help of Jean Giraud and H.R. Giger to create the movie's visual style. Salvador Dalí was enlisted to play the part of the Emperor, and Jodorowsky also intended to cast his own son Brontis Jodorowsky as Paul, David Carradine as Duke Leto, Orson Welles as the Baron, and Gloria Swanson as the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother. The soundtrack was to be done by Pink Floyd, whose compositions would represent the progressive House of Atreides, and influential 70s French progressive rock band Magma, whose compositions would represent the evil House of Harkonnen."
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine