Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's in your DVD player right now?

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I mustache you if you really enjoy that show enough to buy the DVDs
    That show is badass. So yes.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Tom Selleck's mustache could probably win as many games for the Sox as Jonny Gomes' beard.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Tom Selleck's mustache could probably win as many games for the Sox as Jonny Gomes' beard.
    Blasphemy.
    We miss you Mike.

It's a hell of a mustache.
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

I mustache you if you really enjoy that show enough to buy the DVDs
    It would be a pretty odd sellecktion if you ask me. I'm not buying it.

The 'tasche, the Tigers cap, the ferrari, Higgins, the helicopter, the endless bevy of attractive no-name actresses who can't act, the countless beach scenes. What's not to love?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

At my wife's constant prodding and insistence, I just watched the pilot episode of The Wire. AWFUL. I kept looking at the time and willing the hour to go by as soon as possible. Obviously enough people rate this show and say it's much better after a couple of episodes, but that was one of the worst episodes of TV I ever saw. And Dominic West trying to do an American accent - ugh.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by The Campfighter View Post
    At my wife's constant prodding and insistence, I just watched the pilot episode of The Wire. AWFUL. I kept looking at the time and willing the hour to go by as soon as possible. Obviously enough people rate this show and say it's much better after a couple of episodes, but that was one of the worst episodes of TV I ever saw. And Dominic West trying to do an American accent - ugh.
    I'm not a huge "The Wire" enthusiast, but it's worth bearing in mind that the show cannot and should not be judged based on one episode. Consider comparing it to a novel.

As wikipedia states:

Many important events occur off-camera and there is no artificial exposition in the form of voice-over or flashbacks, with the exceptions of two flashbacks – one at the end of the pilot episode that replays a moment from earlier in the same episode and one at the end of the fourth season finale that shows a short clip of a character tutoring his younger brother earlier in the season. Thus, the viewer needs to follow every conversation closely to understand the ongoing story arc and the relevance of each character to it. Salon.com has described the show as novelistic in structure, with a greater depth of writing and plotting than other crime shows. Each season of The Wire consists of 10–13 full-hour episodes, which form several multi-layered narratives. Simon chose this structure with an eye towards long story arcs that draw a viewer in, which then results in a more satisfying payoff. He uses the metaphor of a visual novel in several interviews describing each episode as a chapter, and has also commented that this allows a fuller exploration of the show's themes in time not spent on plot development.

Make what you will of that.

Funny that this topic was bumped. I just pulled our old DVD player out of the attic last week to see if it still worked before donating it to Goodwill, and found Back to the Future II still inside it. I remember about four years ago when I went to sell all of my DVDs at a tag sale and couldn't find BTTFII and had to sell I and III individually in ziploc bags, instead of the whole box set in the actual DVD case.

One of my all time all time favorite shows ever on HBO.

One of the Insanity dvds most likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by East Bay Evans View Post
    I'm not a huge "The Wire" enthusiast, but it's worth bearing in mind that the show cannot and should not be judged based on one episode. .
    Totally. That's why I acknowledged the show is highly rated, but what I have heard is it starts slow. Well, that pilot episode hit all the wrong notes for me.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Totally. That's why I acknowledged the show is highly rated, but what I have heard is it starts slow. Well, that pilot episode hit all the wrong notes for me.
    Well, with any luck it'll redeem itself then. Just give it a couple more chances and you might end up really digging it.