Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Watches, which one is your favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Seriously...

On the topic of watches, it is the only piece of jewelry that I wear other than a locket around my neck. My dad made it for my mom in the South Pacific during WWII and after my mom died and shortly before he died 3 weeks later, he asked me if I would wear it to remember them. I never take it off.

My brother is a watch collector. He must have half a dozen or a dozen at any given time. He doesn't have a lot of money so he needs to find good deals. He is never happier than when he gets a quality watch at good price. He likes to give watches for gifts. One time for special occasion, he gave me a nice Movado. It is a nice hobby.
    My brother and I love watches. We are very passionate about this. We are planing to go next year to the baselworld show. It is the Disneyland for watch lovers LOL.
    http://www.baselworld.com/en-US.aspx
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Wow! I would be too nervous to wear that. I'd was to kill myself if I banged it or scratched it.
    LOL me too... Although only a handful of people would know what kind of watch you are wearing on your wrist. Ironic, it is more expensive than a Ferrrari but can't get as many chicks than it LOL!

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

I have a cell pone that keeps perfect time and I use it about as much as I use my watch to tell me the time. This is necessary because my Seiko is entirely black faced with no contrast or back light. I must admit that when I saw it I just had to have it. It keeps very good time and never needs a battery but it's just about useless. I wear it everyday, though! It is really an attractive piece of technology and is in keeping with my bad ass image!!! Overall, the best watches that I have ever owned were American made Timex from Waterbury. Just as John Cameron Swazey said, "they take a lickin' and keep on tickin". I never paid more than $20. for one andt they beat all of the expensive watches I have owned in 58 years in functionality by miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I have a cell pone that keeps perfect time and I use it about as much as I use my watch to tell me the time. This is necessary because my Seiko is entirely black faced with no contrast or back light. I must admit that when I saw it I just had to have it. It keeps very good time and never needs a battery but it's just about useless. I wear it everyday, though! It is really an attractive piece of technology and is in keeping with my bad ass image!!! Overall, the best watches that I have ever owned were American made Timex from Waterbury. Just as John Cameron Swazey said, "they take a lickin' and keep on tickin". I never paid more than $20. for one andt they beat all of the expensive watches I have owned in 58 years in functionality by miles.
    So, you would opt for the Ferrari.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

So, you would opt for the Ferrari.
    This hobby is not about checking the time at all. In fact digital watches are more accurate than mechanical watches and you can afford one with a couple of bucks. This hobby is about mechanical engineering and design. We (watch lovers) are rare specimens LOL!

This is why I love watches. This is an incredible achievement in both, mechanical engineering and materials science.

http://youtu.be/K0QtJo6_-Ts

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    This is why I love watches. This is an incredible achievement in both, mechanical engineering and materials science.

http://youtu.be/K0QtJo6_-Ts
    What achievement in material science was achieved? 1.6 million francs? I'm guessing that is expensive.

There is no reason for this watch to exist except to massage the egos of men with small penises and too much money.

Drop it once and poof.

What achievement in material science was achieved? 1.6 million francs? I'm guessing that is expensive.

There is no reason for this watch to exist except to massage the egos of men with small penises and too much money.

Drop it once and poof.
    LOL! Most of people would say that, and I do not blame you, but this watch is unique. It was built all in sapphire so you can see the movement from everywhere. Out there are only 5 pieces.

Also, since it is made of sapphire, it is very resistant and at the same time very ergonomic and light.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    Also, since it is made of sapphire, it is very resistant and at the same time very ergonomic and light.
    Resistant to what? I worked with Al2O4 for thirty years.

There was no novel technology involved. "Sapphire" is synthesized and fabricated all day every day Just money and time.

And it has a ten cent plastic band.

Resistant to what? I worked with Al2O4 for thirty years.

There was no novel technology involved. "Sapphire" is synthesized and fabricated all day every day Just money and time.

And it has a ten cent plastic band.
    Have you looked to the spec?

This is pretty impressive and this is why this beauty is that expensive.

CASE The entire case - front bezel, caseband, back bezel - of the split seconds Competition Chronograph RM 056 Felipe Massa Sapphire are cut and milled from solid blocks of sapphire. The production of this sapphire structure took years of research and testing in order to ensure an adequate response to the demands of strength and comfort. Sapphire is known as a particularly scratch-resistant material with a hardness of 1,800 Vickers. Made of aluminium oxide (Al2O3) crystals, it is transparent thanks to its molecular composition. The machining of such components was the biggest challenge faced by Richard Mille Watches, a challenge made all the more difficult as the sapphire machining process is exceptionally delicate. Although extremely tough, sapphire does not allow for even the slightest error during milling and cutting. Creating a case of this quality took over 1000 hours of machining, of which 430 hours were spent on pre-forming the case components and 350 hours on polishing the whole watch case. For excellent optical properties, the front bezel and the back bezel have been treated with an anti-glare coating. The tripartite case is water resistant to 50 meters, ensured by two Nitril O-ring seals. The case is assembled with 20 Spline screws in grade 5 titanium and abrasion resistant washers in 316L stainless steel. Thus the obvious solution, to reveal the whole architecture of this model in 3D, was a transparent case. And the additional difficulty here was to make it from sapphire crystal. Due to the composition of this material (crystals of aluminium oxide), machining it is an absolutely colossal undertaking. This watchcase, in fact, takes three months to make and throws up a staggering rate of quality-control rejections. If our watchcases were already reputed to be the most complex to make in the industry, this one became a feat that was nothing short of phenomenal. It was what Richard Mille had been dreaming of: producing an object to be both seen and used. Limited edition of 5 pieces in sapphire. CHRONOGRAPH The modern architecture of this movement has allowed for a coherent and rational arrangement of each constituent part, avoiding unnecessary complexity and permitting the best possible use of functions with technical solutions. For example, research was conducted into the geometric design of the column wheels that control the different levers in order to ensure the perfect, long-term, stable and simultaneous functioning of the chronograph mechanism, a feature that is essential for a high performance chronograph. Operation: the chronograph function is stopped and started via the pusher located on the lower left at 8 o’clock. The hands are reset by pressing another pusher located on the upper left at 10 o’clock. SKELETONIZED TITANIUM BASEPLATE The baseplate has been finished in grade 5 titanium, a biocompatible, highly corrosion-resistant and remarkably rigid alloy, which enables the gear train to function effortlessly. The alloy is 90% titanium, 6% aluminium and 4% vanadium. This combination further increases its mechanical properties, which explains its frequent use in the aerospace, aeronautical and automobile industries. The baseplate of the caliber RMCC1 has been optimized to achieve an extreme weight/resistance ratio. The skeletonized baseplate and the bridges have been subjected to intensive and complete validation tests to optimize their resistance capacities. SPLIT SECONDS MECHANISM WITH IMPROVED PERFORMANCE One of the new characteristics developed for the split seconds Competition Chronograph RM 056 Felipe Massa Sapphire is the virtually complete elimination of initial jumping in the chronograph seconds hand. Moreover, the development of a new generation of split seconds components meant that energy consumption of this function could be lowered by approximately 50 % through the reduction of friction on the spindle, and the chronograph hands jumping when stopping is virtually eliminated. This was achieved by research that focused on the working of the split seconds’ arms. Operation: by depressing the pusher on the right at 4 o’clock, the user can stop the split seconds hand in order to read an intermediate time while the chronograph is engaged. Pressing the pusher again allows the split seconds hand to rejoin the chronograph, ready for the next measurement.

Characteristics

BALANCE WHEEL WITH VARIABLE INERTIA
    This type of balance wheel which represents the ultimate in innovation, guarantees greater reliability when subjected to shock and also during assembly and dismantling of the movement, thus achieving better chronometric results over time. The index is eliminated, thereby allowing a more precise and repeatable adjustment using 4 setting screws.

FAST ROTATING BARREL (6 hours per revolution instead of 7.5 hours)
    This type of barrel provides the following advantages:
    - The phenomenon of periodic internal mainspring adhesion is significantly diminished, thereby increasing performance,
    - Provision of an excellent mainspring delta curve with an ideal power reserve/performance and regularity ratio.

BARREL PAWL WITH PROGRESSIVE RECOIL
    This device permits an appreciable winding gain (circa 20 %), especially during the start of winding.
    It also aids in the even distribution of the mainspring’s internal tension.

WINDING BARREL TEETH AND THIRD-WHEEL PINION WITH CENTRAL INVOLUTE PROFILE
    The wheel with a central developing profile and a pressure angle of 20° promotes rolling movement more effectively, compensates differences between centers, ensures excellent torque transmission and a distinct improvement in performance.

MODULAR TIME SETTING MECHANISM FITTED AGAINST THE CASE BACK
    Provides the following advantages for longevity and maintenance:
    - Since the component is mounted outside of the movement, the time setting assembly can be changed without affecting the integrity of the baseplate in the event of a possible defect or during maintenance,
    - The mounting and dismantling of this module from the back will not require the removal of the hands and the dial.

SPLINE SCREWS IN GRADE 5 TITANIUM FOR THE CASE
    This permits better control of the torque applied to the screws during assembly.
    These screws are therefore unaffected by physical manipulation during assembly or disassembly and age well.
    TORQUE LIMITING CROWN
    This added security system prevents accidental overwinding of the watch, the result of which can cause damage such as breaking the winding stem or putting too much pressure on the barrel spring.

FINISHING

MOVEMENT
    - Hand-polished bevelling
    - Hand-polished locking-sections
    - Microblasted milled sections
    - Lapped and polished contact points
    - Burnished pivots

STEEL PARTS
    - Wire-drawn and microblasted surfaces
    - Hand-polished bevelling

WHEELS
    - Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
    - Circular-decorated faces
    - Gilding (before cutting the teeth)
    - Minimal corrections to preserve the geometry of the wheels and their performance

DIMENSIONS
    50.50 mm x 42.70 mm x 19.25 mm.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    "You see this watch? This watch cost more than your car. THAT'S my name."
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Wow, to think this entire time there was a thread on mechanical watches, and I was unaware of it.