Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Middlebrooks the next 3b?

Re: Will Middlebrooks the next 3b?

His K/BB rate will limit his ability unless he improves on that. His power is solid, he can hit for average in the minors and I dont know much about his defense.
    Hal sucks

His defense is considered plus I believe.

This is Soxprospects' take on his glove

Plus-to-better arm. Light on feet defensively with strong anticipation, reactions, and first step. Solid footwork and stays square to the ball. Can stand to improve range to his left by stabbing less at the ball and taking another step or continuing to become comfortable throwing on the move. Rounding towards a plus defender.
    Sounds pretty Lowellish, although he'd have to take more walks to really earn a Lowell comp. Still, apparently that's an extreme arm and high-end hands at a position that demands both, so hey, not bad. Kid runs faster than Lowell anyway, who was a turtle even before the labrum tear.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;686107;
    Our next 3B is quite likely Jed Lowrie
    Please god, no. No.

He reminds me of Brandon Laird from last yr.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego;686159;
    Please god, no. No.
    Oh come on, it's not like Youk won't be around, it's just that he gets dinged up so much that he's probably gonna DH a lot once we're not burning the roster spot on Ortiz.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;686162;
    He reminds me of Brandon Laird from last yr.
    Reminds me more of Mike Moustakas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;686164;
    Oh come on, it's not like Youk won't be around, it's just that he gets dinged up so much that he's probably gonna DH a lot once we're not burning the roster spot on Ortiz.
    I think we will lock up Ortiz to 2/20mm. And I don't think we will exercise Youk's option.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

No way. Sorry, we might go year to year for Papi for another few years, but we shouldn't tie ourselves to a 36 ear old DH for multiple seasons. It's time to move on and let him go prove us wrong for a few years with a marginal team while we bring on some offensive prospects like Kalish, Middlebrooks and Lavarnway -- which will be a whole heck of a lot easier to do with the DH spot open.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;686169;
    No way. Sorry, we might go year to year for Papi for another few years, but we shouldn't tie ourselves to a 36 ear old DH for multiple seasons. It's time to move on and let him go prove us wrong for a few years with a marginal team while we bring on some offensive prospects like Kalish, Middlebrooks and Lavarnway -- which will be a whole heck of a lot easier to do with the DH spot open.
    Letting a .300/.390/.560, 30+ HR, 100+ RBI guy walk is a ridiculous notion, especially when you can lock him up for 2/20. If he demands 2/30 or something, ok, let him walk, but 2/20 is not worth the risk of someone like Lavarnway not hitting well and now you've got a huge hole in your line up where you could have a .950 OPS, 30+ HR guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

If I thought he'd be that guy going forward, I'd agree with you. I don't trust a guy his size to stay healthy enough to produce.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;686166;
    Easy now. Moustakas put up a .999 OPS last year across two levels of MiLB ball, with 36 HR, as a 21 y/o. Middlebrooks is 22 this year.

Middlebrooks looks like an interesting prospect. Big scouting reports about his tools in his draft year, and it looks like he's starting to put it all together, but let's calm down a bit. I mean, are you ready to hit him up with 20x all-star status like you did with Lars Anderson the year Teixeira was on the market?

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ORS;686196;
    Easy now. Moustakas put up a .999 OPS last year across two levels of MiLB ball, with 36 HR, as a 21 y/o. Middlebrooks is 22 this year.

Middlebrooks looks like an interesting prospect. Big scouting reports about his tools in his draft year, and it looks like he's starting to put it all together, but let's calm down a bit. I mean, are you ready to hit him up with 20x all-star status like you did with Lars Anderson the year Teixeira was on the market?
    I agree here (sorry, late to the party). Middlebrooks is a good looking prospect. Really nice frame that he will grow into more, probably will be an athletic 3B. Solid offensive and defensive skills make him appear pretty well-rounded. That said, his offensive numbers don't just jump off the page (to me at least). A guy with .347/.515/.862 at AA is nice but we're not talking about Evan Longoria here. I actually like the Travis Fryman comparisons (5 time all star). SP compares him to Scott Rolen. That would be a really, really nice upside but seems a bit hopeful to me. :dunno:

As for the David Ortiz discussion, I think a lot of what the Sox do depends on how they do this year and what Ortiz wants. If the Sox manage to win the WS this year I think that buys the FO some freedom to do what they want to do. I suspect the issue will not be Ortiz asking for 2/20 vs. 2/30, I think it will be him asking for 3/30 and that will be too long. He will huff and puff about his loyalty to the team and they will not want to go 3 years.

They do have Lavarnway, Kalish, Middlebrooks, Youkilis and Gonzalez who can all take some time at DH and I think they would be wise to open up a spot if the price is too high (long) for Ortiz.

I don't think it's utterly unreasonable to be a bit exuberant about Middlebrooks at this time. It's clear that he hasn't finished growing into his toolset. As he is right now, he has everything he'd need to develop into a highly talented third baseman, and as young as he is, at the level he's playing, not that unreasonable to project him to add some growth on top of that.

Sure no one's ever going to let me live Anderson down (although he does still have time, and is coming around), but the fact is the Sox have a pretty good batting average when it comes to developing prospects and getting them ready to produce so I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that I like Middlebrooks' chances to succeed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;686166;
    Lol, you are such a homer. So you'd say he's Moustakas? The guy who put up an OPS of 1.100 in AA a year younger than Middlebrooks? Lol. I like Middlebrooks, but he fits the Brandon Laird model (lots of power, lots of K's, minimal walks)
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;687340;
    Lol, you are such a homer. So you'd say he's Moustakas? The guy who put up an OPS of 1.100 in AA a year younger than Middlebrooks? Lol. I like Middlebrooks, but he fits the Brandon Laird model (lots of power, lots of K's, minimal walks)
    Your are too............
    Bruins,Patriots,Redsox,Celtics,ND Football,BC BasketBall,Team USA