Register now to remove this ad

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: 9/15 vs Tampa Bay Rays

Re: 9/15 vs Tampa Bay Rays

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;694615;
    What is Francona's explanation for going with Weiland tonight instead of Miller? I thought he'd want the lefty because the Rays have few lefties: Damon, Joyce, Kotchman, Brignac and Jaso.

I have to say that this gives me flashbacks to 1978 when Zimmer started rookie call up Bobby Sprowl in the crucial Yankee series.
    Miller struck out 4 of the 5 batters that he faced last night. As I posted above, I would have started him over Weiland. I would have had him on a short leash. If he walked 2 batters to start an inning, Weiland would have been ready. I would have taken the chance that Miller would dominate.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend

Re: 9/15 vs Tampa Bay Rays

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;694973;
    Miller struck out 4 of the 5 batters that he faced last night. As I posted above, I would have started him over Weiland. I would have had him on a short leash. If he walked 2 batters to start an inning, Weiland would have been ready. I would have taken the chance that Miller would dominate.
    You may be right, but you know Tito doesn't manage like that. He manages by pitch counts. Besides, he can't think that further ahead like other people. If he could think like your post, the Sox would have a better pitching record.

Look at Maddon. Left Hellickson in for 117 pitches until he got into trouble. Took him out.
    No pitch count machine there. Just old fashioned common sense. Any well conditioned pitcher should be able to throw 120 pitches without much decline in stuff. The Red Sox practice of 100 or so pitches and out is absurd. You look at the game situation and the pitcher--not the pitch count machine. Never take a pitcher out who is cruising.