Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Smokin Joe Fights for his Life

Smokin Joe Fights for his Life

Smokin’ Joe Frazier deathly ill

By KEVIN KERNAN

Last Updated: 6:33 AM, November 5, 2011

Posted: 1:27 AM, November 5, 2011

Legendary boxer Smokin’ Joe Frazier is in the final fight of his life.

Frazier, who gave the boxing world the “Thrilla in Manila,” and many other classic memories, is deathly ill with advanced liver cancer, The Post has learned.

“He’s in serious shape, we’re looking for a miracle,’’ said a source close to the former heavyweight champ. “They’re only giving him a short time to live. We need to have as many people as possible praying for Joe right now.’’

A fierce and smothering fighter with a devastating left hook, Frazier, 67, is considered one of the great gentlemen of the sport outside of the ring. His captivating bouts with Muhammad Ali put boxing in the spotlight for a new generation of fans as the sport truly became The Main Event. The “Thrilla in Manila,” the third fight of their epic encounters, was one of the greatest fights of them all.

Both boxers were near exhaustion when Frazier’s trainer, Eddie Futch, ended the fight in Ali’s favor after 14 punishing rounds. Ali entered the ring thinking he was fighting a washed up Frazier, and insulted Frazier often leading up to the fight, calling him a “gorilla.’’ Deeply hurt by the comments, Frazier came at Ali with a vengeance. At one point Ali, gaining new respect for Frazier, whispered in his ear: “Joe, they told me you was all washed up.’’

Ali could float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. Frazier was the ultimate brawler, yet in his own way, he could turn a phrase too. His response to Ali was classic: “They told you wrong, pretty boy.’’

Throughout those middle rounds, Frazier continued to come at Ali with vicious body blows. After the fight, Ali, who now suffers from Parkinson’s disease, admitted, “It was the closest I’ve come to death.’’

Frazier retired shortly after that battle and became an ambassador for the sport and more, including starting a singing career, billed as Joe Frazier and the Knockouts.

“Joe is one of the sweetest guys you could ever meet,’’ a friend told The Post. “Sometimes we’d be driving down the highway and see a car broken down and we would have to go out and help somebody. That’s Joe Frazier.’’

Frazier is a champion in and out of the ring.

The son of a South Carolina sharecropper, Frazier was on the 1964 Olympic team and won a gold medal. Over his career, he won 32 fights, 27 by knockout. He had four losses and one draw. He won his first 11 fights by knock out. In 1968, he beat Buster Mathis for the New York State world title at Madison Square Garden. He made six title defenses after that over the next several years and on March 8, 1971 fought Ali at the Garden in the incredible “Fight of the Century.’’

Over 300 million reportedly watched on closed-circuit TV. Ali-Frazier is what boxing was all about.

Frazier came into that first fight at 26-0 with 23 knockouts. Ali came in 31-0 with 25 knockouts. Ali was vehemently against the Vietnam War and refused to be inducted into the Army, causing him to be stripped of his title. Frazier was a symbol for the conservative moment.

This was a boxing war.

In the 15th round, Frazier landed a vicious left that knocked Ali down for a four-count. All three judges gave the fight to Frazier and the first of three battles was in the books as an instant classic, a big payday, a big production and a big finish.

After the “Thrilla in Manila’’ Frazier was never the same boxer. In 1973, George Forman knocked Frazier down six times in the first two rounds of their bout in Kingston, Jamaica, with Howard Cosell yelling what became a signature call for the broadcaster: “Down Goes Frazier!’’

Joe Frazier is down again. He always said, “What makes a champion is heart.’’

“Joe needs everyone’s prayers at this time,’’ said the friend.

Pray for the champ.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/boxin...#ixzz1ctVBRC3U
    I saw several of his fights. His nickname fit him perfectly. He never took a step backward.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Re: Smokin Joe Fights for his Life

He was pretty much the opposite of Ali, that's what made their fights so awesome. He was aggressive and like you said, he had didn't have finesse, he would just come at his opponent until the fight was finished. This is sad, I hope there is a miracle, but realistically, since it does sound like this is a final stage, it probably won't happen. Sad too, he's one of the greatest boxers of all time.

Major Leaguer

First I heard of this was reading it in the Sunday Times this morning, I'm not ashamed to say it brought a tear to my eye. It brings back memories of sneaking down the stairs when I was a kid to listen to his fights with Ali when the adults where listening on the wireless (radio). I mourn that era, c'mon smokin Joe, I know Ali is in your corner tonight too.
    Who delivers ten times out of ten? Thats right baby.

He's not "fighting for his life". He's in hospice, the fight is over.
    Hal sucks

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;709322;
    He's not "fighting for his life". He's in hospice, the fight is over.
    Alright laughing gas, lets have a bit of hope eh? Life is fuck all without it.
    Who delivers ten times out of ten? Thats right baby.

You go to hospice when you no longer are treating the disease. Hospice is all about treating pain and anxiety, not disease. Once enrolled in hospice, the fight is over.
    Hal sucks

That era had lots of talent in the heavyweight division, but Ali and Frazier stood out from the rest of the pack. Foreman came at the tail end of that era (early 70's) and he was a total beast too. Foreman was never given as much credit for his boxing skill as he was so powerful that after 3 or 4 rounds his opponents usually looked like stuffed animals that had been run over repeatedly by a tractor trailer.

In the mid to late 60's, in addition to Ali and Frazier, there was Oscar Bonavena (from Argentia I think) and George Chuvalo (Canadian). Bonavena was a pretty good fighter. Chuvalo was a punching bag but he always put up a good fight. Jimmy Ellis was a very good boxer. Frazier beat Ellis for Ali's vacant title when Ali was suspended. Buster Mathis wasn't a bad fighter either, and Jerry Quarry was an excellent all around fighter. He's been called the greatest heavyweight that never won the title.

If Frazier is in Hospice, it is the end. Pain control is the only concern. My dad was in hospice at age 92. Unfortunately Frazier's athletic heart and lungs will prolong the end. My dad's superior fitness resulted in him lasting 8 days in an unconscious state with no food, water or IV. Brutal stuff. Let go Champ. Time to throw in the towel.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

R.I.P. Champ.

All-Star

RIP Smokin' Joe. My wife broke the news to me this morning, and I promptly watched Frazier-Ali 1 before work. He put up a good fight but it's too bad he had to go, 67 is way too young nowadays.

Couldn't help but think this is what would happen, news breaks then a couple days later he passes away. RIP Smokin' Joe, one of the best.

Never got to see you live, obviously, but a champ nonetheless. I always found it ridiculous that that sham of a city in Philly would put up a statue to a fictional character instead of the black, real version of Rocky. It's a disgrace that this guy goes to the grave with
    Hal sucks

He was a true gentleman, the sports world needs more like him.

RIP, Joe.
    Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they hide is crucial. Aaron Levenstein

Single A

When i read the topic, i thought we'd be talking about Paterno's lung cancer. Too bad.

I'm a new member here so I have just found this thread, and thought I'd give my thoughts on it. I remember back when the news that he was seriously ill popped up on MSN.com and other sites, and I felt terrible. This guy was one of the all-time greatest boxers in the history of mankind, and while I never got to see him fight (being born in 1984), all of the footage that I have been able to find online and so on just strengthens that knowledge of how great he was.

I remember a short time later when I read that he had passed away, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I had a tear in the corner of my eye and that lumpy feeling in my throat. In this day and age, he really passed away far too soon. RIP Smokin' Joe.