Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite band ever. Go.

Re: Favorite band ever. Go.

Nirvana
    STOP PLAYING SWEET CAROLINE.

Quote Originally Posted by v2freak View Post
    Machine Head. I've liked every song on their last 2 albums.

To be honest, a lot of people like their old stuff from Burn My Eyes, but it's hardly my favorite. I'm hoping to see them live sometime but they've been touring mostly in Europe.
    The old Machine Head albums are their best IMO. I actually got to meet them in Toronto back when they were touring Burn My Eyes. Pretty solid guys.

That's the problem with metal for me, though...Even the best Machine Head albums/songs can't hang with/compete with their influences, aka Pantera/Sepultura/Slayer.

The Machine Head generation and these new metal generations are 95% watered down versions of their influences, and not even close to as good. Metal is a tough genre to be awesome/elite in.
    So Send I You By Grace Made Strong

Oh wow, didn't realize how awesome this thread really was. Seen some great mentions in here.... Just bands I like that people have mentioned...

The Smiths, Joy Division, Agnostic Front, Dead Kennedy's, Circle Jerks, The Pixies, Reagan Youth, and pretty much all the other hardcore bands that have been listed.... A few mentioned I've never heard before but I'll have to check them out.

A few I like I didn't see mentioned....

NOFX, Rancid, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Suicide Machines, and The Cure.

As a side note, saw someone mention The Dollyrots..... I've met Kelly a few times, she's really cool. They're a bit poppy sounding for me, but I still have fun at their shows and they've always been really cool people to talk with.

My favorite band after the Beatles is Blue Oyster Cult. That has a lot to do with Buck Dharma being my favorite guitarist. I got to see them here in Halifax and although Buck is about 65 now he can still bring it. He's like the perfect combination of metal power and jazz fluidity. Works on me like the finest drugs.

Top 5 according to my last.fm (in order): Arctic Monkeys, Beatles, Oasis, The Libertines & The Strokes

I read this entire thread and none of you have mentioned my favorite band which is, of course, only the best band ever and that is, of course, RUSH.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Having seen hundreds of bands live, owning about 4000 records, and of course being an old-timey fuck, I have an opinion.

Mink DeVill, Elvis Costello And The Attractions and three local Boston Bands. Vervous Eaters, Luna, The Atlantics.
    I'm so pleased you mentioned Elvis Costello & The Attractions. They're my #2 favorite band. I'm especially pleased that you mentioned The Attractions and did not just get lazy and type Elvis Costello. Even my friends who I'd grown up with listening to and loving their music would have lazily typed Elvis Costello and would have omitted the great Attractions, thus not giving them the recognition they so fittingly deserve. Much kudos to you!

Quote Originally Posted by boy racer View Post
    For me it's The Smiths. I've been listening to them for the longest time and I don't think I could ever get sick of their music. Consequently, Morrissey is also one of my favorites ever.
    I highly commend your choice. The Smiths are in my Top Ten. Morrissey is such a brave lyricist and their music, including his voice, is just superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'm so pleased you mentioned Elvis Costello & The Attractions. They're my #2 favorite band. I'm especially pleased that you mentioned The Attractions and did not just get lazy and type Elvis Costello. Even my friends who I'd grown up with listening to and loving their music would have lazily typed Elvis Costello and would have omitted the great Attractions, thus not giving them the recognition they so fittingly deserve. Much kudos to you!
    I went to his book signing last year in Boston. I actually had a conversation with him. Wicked smart and funny.

But boy he has no love for Bruce Thomas.

The Attractions were incredibly talented. Especially Steve Nason.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I went to his book signing last year in Boston. I actually had a conversation with him. Wicked smart and funny.

But boy he has no love for Bruce Thomas.

The Attractions were incredibly talented. Especially Steve Nason.
    I never understood if the Costello/Thomas feud was real or not. I'd heard a rumor that Costello wrote "How To Be Dumb" about Thomas, but then I was confused because Thomas was invited to play on subsequent Costello albums. So just now I went to the Bruce Thomas Wikipedia page where it contains this: "Costello was persuaded by co-producer Mitchell Froom to invite Thomas to play on the album Brutal Youth" and also this: "Costello has said in interviews with a variety of publications, including the Rocky Mountain News, that the old animosity between himself and Thomas returned. Costello claimed that Thomas deliberately sabotaged some songs onstage, which was the breaking point."

Deliberately sabotaging songs onstage? Ouch! I wish I could hear those performances to which Elvis is referring so I can judge for myself if Bruce did some deliberate sabotaging.

I never got to see The Attractions in person, sadly. I've seen Elvis twice, but without them. Once was at Harvard with just his wheel of songs (and Nick Lowe) and the other was at Great Woods. I have no memory of who his backing band for that show was, but I remember that The Replacements were the opening act and they were drunk. In fact, both times I saw The Replacements they were drunk. Could that be called deliberate sabotage? Haha.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Black Sabbath, Beatles...Queen.........
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Oh yeah.

15 all-time faves:

Beatles
    Hendrix
    Who
    Kinks
    Doors
    CCR
    Led Zep
    Deep Purple
    Black Sabbath
    BOC
    Robin Trower
    ELP
    Eagles
    Simon & Garfunkel
    Odds (Canucks)

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    WTF.....Zep should have been second on that list..... what was I thinking??
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine