Register now to remove this ad

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Got 4th place in the powerlifting contest today. My elbow bailed on me and I missed the last two bench press attempts. I squatted for 405 and deadlifted 425 to save face and end up with a respectable performance.
    Hey UN. I really want to gain strength. If you only did a basic routine, maybe 5 or 6 lifts to strengthen your entire body........ what would they be?

I do bench and squats and shoulder presses..... and have started to learn deadlifts......... and starting to really like them.......

what's some more all over, kick ass, over all body strength lifts or exercises you like?
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Mehdi's Stronglifts.

I would devour Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength 3rd edition if there's any serious interest in strength training from your part. Combined with his videos, there's no better resource for learning the big five (Squat, Press, Deadlift, bench, clean) anywhere on the planet.
    We miss you Mike.

I would devour Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength 3rd edition if there's any serious interest in strength training from your part. Combined with his videos, there's no better resource for learning the big five (Squat, Press, Deadlift, bench, clean) anywhere on the planet.
    Good suggestion, thanks......

Just bought the Rippetoe book. The Amazon reviews are really good. Checked out some vids online.......

I'm starting to MMA/Krav Maga spar........ the last few months I've been getting my endurance up from crossfit type classes. I'm quicker than most people. Just want to get back to having some real power. It really helps with the grappling portion...... I think power/strength training is what I need.
    In our yellow submarine

Injuries...... but still training....... been hitting it hard the last five months.......

Ask me to do burpees........ I no longer fear them......... I'll ask how many and I'll whip them out in no time flat..........

the injuries have permitted me from doing heavy weight training recently...... which sucks......but I'm doing tons of low weight high and very high rep and set stuff.

I combat train a bit now and again. I like a little ultraviolence....... I'm getting good at it. I'll slip a jab and crack a good hook either using my left or right. I've nailed top trainers with my hook...... they know I have it now......... I have to adjust....

UN...... how does the training go? Having the motivation is the battle....... the wife and I have the motivation and have for a good year now.
    Last edited by SoxHop; 04-26-2016 at 11:28 PM.
    In our yellow submarine

Since this time I posted this I put on about 5 pounds of muscle. And too much fat. Was eating right and then dropped off it. But it's easy for me to lose fat since I train so much. Dropped 4 pounds the last couple of weeks.. I dance like a butterfly now...... but still want to lose a few pounds.

Since I posted this last.......... squats and deadlifts have been my love....... my inspiration......... I love stepping up and hitting heavy weight on a lift........ it's addicting...
    Last edited by SoxHop; 04-26-2016 at 11:29 PM.
    In our yellow submarine

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Today I walked up two consecutive flights of stairs without having to pause to catch my breath even once. And I was carrying TWO bags of groceries!
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    Today I walked up two consecutive flights of stairs without having to pause to catch my breath even once. And I was carrying TWO bags of groceries!
    Wait until you get old.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

It's all about motivation. I wish I could put it in a can and give it to people.

The changes you can make in a month, half a year, year would stagger you.

For me the alternatives scare me...... I have people I love I don't want to leave..... and leaving in an unhealthy manor can get ugly....

but, who knows....... I could drop dead from a heart attack tomorrow.
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Since this time I posted this I put on about 5 pounds of muscle. And too much fat. Was eating right and then dropped off it. But it's easy for me to lose fat since I train so much. Dropped 4 pounds the last couple of weeks.. I dance like a butterfly now...... but still want to lose a few pounds.

Since I posted this last.......... squats and deadlifts have been my love....... my inspiration......... I love stepping up and hitting heavy weight on a lift........ it's addicting...
    I've been doing higher volume, lower weight training for the last couple of months looking for weight loss. I plan to get back to really heavy weight training as soon as I reach my target weight. It's too hard to recover while in a caloric deficit.
    We miss you Mike.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Hey UN. I really want to gain strength. If you only did a basic routine, maybe 5 or 6 lifts to strengthen your entire body........ what would they be?

I do bench and squats and shoulder presses..... and have started to learn deadlifts......... and starting to really like them.......

what's some more all over, kick ass, over all body strength lifts or exercises you like?
    I have been lifting weights for probably 35 years. Eventually it will show...
    The best resource for this by far, in my opinion, is Arnold Schwartzenegger's "Encylopedia of Body Building". Its old, but if you can find a copy of it, its worth its weight in gold. Its incredibly detailed. It covers not only the Big Five, but every part of every muscle in the human body. If its strength and size you want, more weight, less reps. If its getting cut, its the opposite, combined with a good diet and aerobics. Truth is, fitness consists of three areas: strength, flexibily, and endurance, with endurance being the most relevant to cardiovascular health. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I have been lifting weights for probably 35 years. Eventually it will show...
    The best resource for this by far, in my opinion, is Arnold Schwartzenegger's "Encylopedia of Body Building". Its old, but if you can find a copy of it, its worth its weight in gold. Its incredibly detailed. It covers not only the Big Five, but every part of every muscle in the human body. If its strength and size you want, more weight, less reps. If its getting cut, its the opposite, combined with a good diet and aerobics. Truth is, fitness consists of three areas: strength, flexibily, and endurance, with endurance being the most relevant to cardiovascular health. Good luck!
    Good call. I've looked over that book multiple times. Arnold was what got me into lifting way back when, I read his biography which also had a workout routine which I followed for a couple years.. I think in about two years I went from benching around 120 to over 300.

I'm just having the issue where I'm 43, but I expect results that I could get when I was 20.
    In our yellow submarine

I really want to gain over all strength, power, speed and cut down to 15 or 13 percent fat percentage. (I know this bores lots of people here, but it's a huge part of my life)

I'd like to pack on some muscle too. I'm short being 5.9. Mainly my goals are for general health, I need to keep up with my wife who is sexy, and I spar with people and hate to lose, and I spar with people who are much bigger than I am and it's tough.

While out of a job recently I've been doing two workouts a day. 30 minute high impact training (crossfitish and a 30 minute high impact bag class)

I took my body fat percentage today and it was worse than it was 4 months ago after training hard. I use one of those handheld things that are very inaccurate, but it pisses me off I haven't changed that much in this time. I serious think the thing I used was messed up, you can tell it isn't correct looking at me, but it isn't that far off.

I've slacked on the weight lifting the last couple of months, I now know that is a huge part now. I've done cardio like crazy so my stamina is much better now. I'm just kind of angry I didn't do the weight lifting.

So..... today I changed things. Two times a week now for lifting and hopefully for the rest of my life.

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bent over rows
    Shoulder presses
    Bench
    Cleans
    dips
    bar pull-ups
    Calf raises
    bicep curls
    tricepe pulldowns

This is what I'll be hitting hard for the next few months lifting. It's a good basic workout that isn't too long.

Gotta hit the weights harder and more consistent.

It aint easy being 43 doing this stuff.
    In our yellow submarine

I officially weigh less than I have in over 5 years. This was my second spring doing Insanity Max 30 and got way better results this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I'm training for a powerlifting meet on short notice. I'm aiming to get up to 260 bodyweight then start cutting again. My bench/DL/squat split are currently 265/425/385/. Need to get to 285/450/425 to at least not embarrass myself.
    We miss you Mike.

I'm training for a powerlifting meet on short notice. I'm aiming to get up to 260 bodyweight then start cutting again. My bench/DL/squat split are currently 265/425/385/. Need to get to 285/450/425 to at least not embarrass myself.
    7lZwLKc.jpg

You could deadlift my whole family plus both dogs...
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")