Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fitness Thread

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Re: The Fitness Thread

I need at least 6 workouts.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxfanforlife305;729346;
    I need at least 6 workouts.
    I do trapz with shoulders. Three and three.
    We miss you Mike.

I also do traps. They make you look huge.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

6 three-set exercises for shoulders is over-training. Just so you know. That stunts growth.
    We miss you Mike.

No, it's not. I always do 6 workouts. I watch what I do.

Btw I never started at 6. I had to work my way up.

Shoulders are small muscles. Giving 18 sets of work to your shoulders at more than 50% max capacity is over-training. Look it up or ask a trainer if you want.
    We miss you Mike.

I don't do much weight with the shoulders. I know my body. It can handle taking 6 workouts.

That's what one of my friends said a couple of years ago right before tearing both of his quads. Good luck
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name?;729357;
    Shoulders are small muscles. Giving 18 sets of work to your shoulders at more than 50% max capacity is over-training. Look it up or ask a trainer if you want.
    The deltoid is a good sized muscle, and the bellies of the cuff muscles sans the supraspinatus have considerable heft. The problem is that the shoulder is made up of multiple tendons and that's where the strain lies. Overwork the shoulder and you'll tear the cuff and subsequently the labrum. And then you'll be contributing to your local orthopedic surgeon
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;729371;
    The deltoid is a good sized muscle, and the bellies of the cuff muscles sans the supraspinatus have considerable heft. The problem is that the shoulder is made up of multiple tendons and that's where the strain lies. Overwork the shoulder and you'll tear the cuff and subsequently the labrum. And then you'll be contributing to your local orthopedic surgeon
    They're not really small, but they're not quad-sized. You shouldn't put an 18 set workload on them.
    We miss you Mike.

But you have to understnd people have different body types and can take more weight than others.

This is my rifle....

When you do chest you work the front of the deltoid. All presses (flat, incline, decline) and flys work the front of the shoulder. When you do back you work the rear deltoid. All pulls, rows, and reverse flys work the back of the shoulder. If you are doing 6 exercises on chest/back days, I see no issue doing 6 on shoulder days. Just make sure you give the muscels ample rest and pay attention to your loading.

I don't do a pure shoulder day anymore, but when I used back in the Marines, I usually did the following:

military press x 4
    arnold's x 4
    front lifts x 3 (use cables or dumbells - arms at your sides, keep the arm straight and lift it in front of you to shoulder height)
    side lifts x 3
    front flys
    reverse flys
    upright rows
    shrugs

My current shoulder day is a mix of shoulder, chest, back, and bicep/tricep exercises. Kind of a total upper body workout. That way I hit the chest/back core muscles a second day during the week, just not as intensely as the isolation day.

Aren't shrugs and flys more traps-oriented though?
    We miss you Mike.

This is my rifle....

Reverse flys are both traps and the rear deltoid. Shrugs and upright rows are mostly traps.