Register now to remove this ad

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Beckett Questionable to Start the Season

Re: Beckett Questionable to Start the Season

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04;737725;
    I have a bad feeling that Beckett is headed to the DL, maybe even surgery. It feels like 'two thumbs down' is gonna be the tagline of our season.
    I posted the same thing earlier. If his velocity and location remain poor over the next 2-3 starts then we can be pretty sure he is playing hurt. My guess is that the thumb surgeon he saw "for piece of mind" probably told him that by continuing to play hurt he was not risking his career but that eventually he would need surgery and until then he would play in pain. Of course I have no proof of that....just a gut feeling.
    Welcome your new team: Last place loser bums.No playoffs for two years running and working on a third

EEI was saying that Beckett was told he will eventually need surgery but can play with it.
    Hal sucks

Deity

Like I said yesterday as much as I don't want to see him on the DL I would rather think he is pitching hurt than is actually pitching that way healthy. He was that bad.

If however that is the case, then he may end up having to shut it down cause that was not even close to the type of outing that would help this team. If he pitches like that the only factor will be the strength and hitting prowess of the opposition. A lesser team will still sting him pitching like that. Homers will be doubles.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;737766;
    EEI was saying that Beckett was told he will eventually need surgery but can play with it.
    Then I was right. Eventually his ineffectiveness will force his hand (so to speak). I applaud him for wanting to try to play hurt; I'll I've him that much. Other guys refuse to do that.
    Welcome your new team: Last place loser bums.No playoffs for two years running and working on a third

This team needs an operating room in the clubhouse LOL!
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Deity

Whether Beckett is hurt or not remains to be seen.

This is the going to be the first year (if he does pitch) that he will have to fully be a pitcher and not rely on heat anything like he used to. His FB is likely to top out at 92 this year, maybe 93.

At least in my view Josh has been grooming himself for this day. However he may just have not gotten there. One thing you saw yesterday was if your FB is going to top out at 92 then you need to be able to ratchet back the change. Once a pitcher has got to many of his pitches coming in to the hitters at about the same velocity then the good hitters are just going to pick on the pitch they want and they will be right on it.