Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Former Patriots linebacker Junior Seau found dead in apparent suicide

Re: Former Patriots linebacker Junior Seau found dead in apparent suicide

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;753234;
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;753248;
    I was gonna go into a full-blown diatribe about how suicide is anything but an 'easy way out', and about how anyone who was in enough pain to put himself in eternal nothingness is most definitely not 'selfish', and how anyone who would write off suicide victims in that manner is a worthless, unadulterated piece of dog shit of such utterly staggering proportions... but I think a simple 'go fuck yourselves' works just the same. So, go fuck yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78;753255;
    For some people, it's hard to put themselves in the shoes of someone who has a mental disorder, possibly caused by decades of concussions. It's sad for all involved. As I have first hand knowledge of what it's like to have family members attempt suicide, there's nothing really to joke about. I guess living out some tough internet personna is more important to some people. Kinda pathetic if you ask me.
    This. I'm surprised at Jacksonian's stance for exactly this reason. I have a couple friends who boxed for a significant number of years, and the pitiful state their psyche's in is completely out of their control, and no laughing matter.
    We miss you Mike.

For some people, it's hard to put themselves in the shoes of someone who has a mental disorder, possibly caused by decades of concussions. It's sad for all involved. As I have first hand knowledge of what it's like to have family members attempt suicide, there's nothing really to joke about. I guess living out some tough internet personna is more important to some people. Kinda pathetic if you ask me.
    You're right, man. I have a lot of firsthand experience with depression, my mother suffered from it brutally, my wife suffers from it, and now I've experienced it too.

My family has been hit by depression and suicide more than most. Depression is a serious and treatable disease. Not seeking help and killing yourself when nobody is dependent on you is your decision. It's still a selfish decision, but it is your decision. Ending your life with 3 kids dependent upon you is selfish. He "ended" his pain but created 3 lifelong pains that will never go away. I dont feel bad for him, I am mad at him.
    Hal sucks

I know you have schizophrenia and have tried to kill yourself several times, but you're a coward.

Feel free to keep repeating your position. Clearly, the more you say something, the more you will convince yourself you are right.

It is very sad for all involved. His pain is ended, but his family's pain will never end. They will endure emotions of guilt and anger. They had no control over the events that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Seau did have some control. Yes, he was depressed and mentally ill, but his act was selfish. It is a sad story.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

It is very sad that the guy committed suicide, but what is the sense of feeling sorry for him. It's over for him. I feel terrible for the living victims of his act.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;753309;
    It is very sad that the guy committed suicide, but what is the sense of feeling sorry for him. It's over for him. I feel terrible for the living victims of his act.
    But he should have just killed them first, right? *laugh track*

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78;753315;
    But he should have just killed them first, right? *laugh track*
    I do favor dark humor. There's nothing wrong with that. Maybe it isn't you cup of tea. To each his own.

On a side note, his mother would have preferred that he killed her first, so in addition to being funny, there is an element of truth, which is the key to humor.

BTW: A few years ago when the Angels pitcher died tragically in a car crash, someone cracked that Disney was coming out with a sequel entitled "Angels in the Windshield." Very dark.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;753299;
    Ending your life with 3 kids dependent upon you is selfish. He "ended" his pain but created 3 lifelong pains that will never go away. I dont feel bad for him, I am mad at him.
    He did make nearly 30 million dollars during his NFL career, I'm sure the millions his kids are going to get will help ease the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinity;753320;
    He did make nearly 30 million dollars during his NFL career, I'm sure the millions his kids are going to get will help ease the pain.
    I don't think so -- not at all.

There's a fine line between ignorance and humor. If you want to trample all over it, knock yourself out.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78;753323;
    There's a fine line between ignorance and humor. If you want to trample all over it, knock yourself out.
    There is. I never heard of that fine line.

I think it may have been said that ignorance walks a fine line between humor and .... .

If you are trying to be clever in calling me ignorant, please try to make some sense or at least get the quote right. :lol:

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;753234;
    It's called major depression. I understand it well, although cannot ever sympathize with anyone who intentionally takes their life, especially those leaving children. It's the "easy way out", and the most selfish way to go. Now his kids get to deal with the aftermath.
    I understand your opinion, but there is so much more to this kind of situation than just taking the easy way out. I spend hours, at least every other day, contemplating doing what Seau did. Part of me knows it's not what I should be thinking about, but a larger part of my mind keeps saying 'yes, this is the right thing to do'. Most days all I can think about is how much I want to die, and I wake up nearly every morning disappointed by the fact that I woke up at all. I'm not saying this isn't terrible for his family, but considering the state of mind most people are in when they committ suicide, it's difficult for me, and it should be difficult for others, not to feel some sadness at the fact that the last days of someone's life were filled with an overwhelming sense that ending their life is the only right thing for them to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar

As for the dark humor, I have no problem with it. I am a dark humor man myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.