Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Former Patriots linebacker Junior Seau found dead in apparent suicide

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar

Re: Former Patriots linebacker Junior Seau found dead in apparent suicide

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;753321;
    I don't think so -- not at all.
    It helped the family of the guy Donte Stallworth killed. Helped them so much they didn't even need him to go to jail for too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation;753380;
    I understand your opinion, but there is so much more to this kind of situation than just taking the easy way out. I spend hours, at least every other day, contemplating doing what Seau did. Part of me knows it's not what I should be thinking about, but a larger part of my mind keeps saying 'yes, this is the right thing to do'. Most days all I can think about is how much I want to die, and I wake up nearly every morning disappointed by the fact that I woke up at all. I'm not saying this isn't terrible for his family, but considering the state of mind most people are in when they committ suicide, it's difficult for me, and it should be difficult for others, not to feel some sadness at the fact that the last days of someone's life were filled with an overwhelming sense that ending their life is the only right thing for them to do.
    It is definitely a sad situation. That was my immediate reaction when I heard the story. It's just sad.

Brother, many of us have been in that dark place that you describe. Take it from an old dude, we'll all be dead for a long long time, so there is no reason rushing it. As interminable and intractable as depression seems, it usually passes eventually.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation;753380;
    I understand your opinion, but there is so much more to this kind of situation than just taking the easy way out. I spend hours, at least every other day, contemplating doing what Seau did. Part of me knows it's not what I should be thinking about, but a larger part of my mind keeps saying 'yes, this is the right thing to do'. Most days all I can think about is how much I want to die, and I wake up nearly every morning disappointed by the fact that I woke up at all. I'm not saying this isn't terrible for his family, but considering the state of mind most people are in when they committ suicide, it's difficult for me, and it should be difficult for others, not to feel some sadness at the fact that the last days of someone's life were filled with an overwhelming sense that ending their life is the only right thing for them to do.
    I can relate to this.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxfanforlife305;753511;
    I can relate to this.
    Me too.
    BornToRun and Taylor Swift For King & Queen of Talksox!

Now please go ahead and introduce yourself to Taylor. We're going to get married, have 10 kids, and teach them how to dream.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Divinity;753320;
    He did make nearly 30 million dollars during his NFL career, I'm sure the millions his kids are going to get will help ease the pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;753321;
    I don't think so -- not at all.
    This is an interesting topic to me. I work in mental health with Medicaid recipients. I've seen numerous individuals and families affected by suicide. All of my clients are close to the federal poverty level.

With any trauma like this (a significant loss, in this case) there is nothing that takes away the pain. There will be times in each relative or loved-ones lives where they are unable to shake the feelings of guilt or anger or loss that a suicide leaves--it won't help them to think "hey, I have a million dollars so it is okay..."

That said, having a lot of money does offer opportunities to those affected people to open doors to do things in life that are fulfilling, meaningful and which could ultimately re-instill a sense of purpose if it was lost by the loss of a loved one.

My clients who are struggling in all areas of life have more to worry about and the associated depression from the loss becomes a chronic life-state, often wrapped up with numerous other losses (divorce, homelessness, etc..,), getting to the point where the losses has been so numerous that you can't locate the reason for depression or PTSD back to any particular 'event'.

I guess to summarize, I would say two things:

1) The money could mitigate some of the potentially negative results on his family members because it is an additional resiliency factor. All things being equal, I would hope someone affected by a parental suicide would have money, rather than living in poverty. If his kids find that nothing in life makes them happier than golfing, or model trains, or traveling, or cooking good food, then they will be better able to access those activities because they have money. It's pretty simple.

however...

2) Depression is contextual and happiness acts as a drug. Happiness is the result of neurotransmitters acting on our brains. A lack of, say, Serotoin, will make you literally feel depressed whether you are wealthy and famous or down and out. Status doesn't matter. People who think he should have been happy because of his status are missing the neurological mechanisms behind depression.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRun;753256;
    I think it's sad to see people rip a man who just couldn't live his life anymore. It's tragic but it's a sad fact of life that some people just reach the end of the line and feel as though they have no other option.
    yep i agree with you, its not the right thing to do, but he obviously was mentally unstable and depressed to a degree.
    people like these need to have a dog. does wonders! as it takes your mind away from the depression.
    Read it a while ago but a survey suggested it did help a lot of depressed guys to come out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kapsis21;753552;
    yep i agree with you, its not the right thing to do, but he obviously was mentally unstable and depressed to a degree.
    people like these need to have a dog. does wonders! as it takes your mind away from the depression.
    Read it a while ago but a survey suggested it did help a lot of depressed guys to come out of it.
    It doesn't surprise me. Before she started shitting on my blankets, my kitty (same principle) would curl up I'm bed with me all the time, I swear that animals can tell when you're pissed.
    BornToRun and Taylor Swift For King & Queen of Talksox!

Now please go ahead and introduce yourself to Taylor. We're going to get married, have 10 kids, and teach them how to dream.

As a linebacker, he played "the most havoc-ridden position on the team. He suffered many concussions, so there is a strong sense that it played a role," Mitchell, a pastor and Seau family friend, said Thursday.
    Mitchell, who stood next to Seau's grief-stricken mother as she faced a sea of cameras to discuss her son's death, said the family had received calls from researchers asking to study his brain.
    "Him taking the shot to the chest makes sense that he would want his head examined," he said.
    While Mitchell did not identify the researchers making the requests, among the institutions the family could donate Seau's brain to is Boston University's Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy, the research center that found former Chicago Bears safety Dave Duerson suffered degenerative damage to his brain because of repeated hits.
    Duerson committed suicide, shooting himself in the chest in 2011 and leaving a suicide note that said he wanted his brain studied for possible damage.
    for people who are crying foul, read this first.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRun;753558;
    It doesn't surprise me. Before she started shitting on my blankets, my kitty (same principle) would curl up I'm bed with me all the time, I swear that animals can tell when you're pissed.
    yep now i think i should get one. animals definitely have a 6th sense and so do children.

my wife & i miscarried a couple months ago, and before we had gone to the doctor my son said a sentence about "bad news" and i couldnt get it why he said that... I was baffled when i put that together.
    and he actually said "are there any good news" when we hadnt told him yet...