Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 116

Thread: Next Manager

  1. #31

    Re: Next Manager

    its worked so far why not jason varitex?

  2. #32

    Re: Next Manager

    I think it's hilarious how everyone is so down on Farrell because of his record with the Jays.

    What, exactly, was Francona's record with the Phillies before coming to Boston? Oh, 65-97.

    Point being - different strokes for different folks. Just because a coach doesn't work out in one place doesn't mean he's just simply not a good coach. Farrell already has all of the respect of the Red Sox players, especially the leaders (i.e. Pedroia, Ortiz, Lester, Buchholz).

    It's also been widely reported that Farrell and Alex Anthropolus haven't exactly seen eye to eye, but we all know that he fits in well with the Red Sox FO. Having the backing of a FO is extremely important (see: Valentine, 2012).
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

  3. #33

    Re: Next Manager

    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    I think it's hilarious how everyone is so down on Farrell because of his record with the Jays.

    What, exactly, was Francona's record with the Phillies before coming to Boston? Oh, 65-97.

    Point being - different strokes for different folks. Just because a coach doesn't work out in one place doesn't mean he's just simply not a good coach. Farrell already has all of the respect of the Red Sox players, especially the leaders (i.e. Pedroia, Ortiz, Lester, Buchholz).

    It's also been widely reported that Farrell and Alex Anthropolus haven't exactly seen eye to eye, but we all know that he fits in well with the Red Sox FO. Having the backing of a FO is extremely important (see: Valentine, 2012).
    I would agree that the Jays' W-L record shouldn't necessarily be used as the measuring stick for Farrell. But to those who support him I would ask them to evaluate what they see as his strengths based on his 2 years with the Jays. And there are a couple of things that raise questions.

    -Why exactly do we have reports about him and Anthropolus not being on good terms?

    -More importantly, what happened to the Jays clubhouse? First we had Escobar and the absurd eye-black incident. Then we had Vizquel's strange outburst about the lack of discipline and teaching of young players.

    Hopefully the Sox FO won't just disregard these red flags.

  4. #34

    Re: Next Manager

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I would agree that the Jays' W-L record shouldn't necessarily be used as the measuring stick for Farrell. But to those who support him I would ask them to evaluate what they see as his strengths based on his 2 years with the Jays. And there are a couple of things that raise questions.

    -Why exactly do we have reports about him and Anthropolus not being on good terms?

    -More importantly, what happened to the Jays clubhouse? First we had Escobar and the absurd eye-black incident. Then we had Vizquel's strange outburst about the lack of discipline and teaching of young players.

    Hopefully the Sox FO won't just disregard these red flags.
    Given the criticism of both Francona and Valentine over "losing" the clubhouse, it seems the Red Sox would be prudent to find out exactly what happened in Toronto. The Red Sox however have a pattern to disregard negative information once they have set their mind on obtaining certain personnel. I'd prefer that they look elsewhere. Someone with a totally different organizational perspective would be preferable in my view.

  5. #35

    Re: Next Manager

    Mike Lowell. I don't know if he has been mentioned or if he would be interested, but he would command respect. Guys would play for him.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  6. #36
    El mar no cesa iortiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    11,418

    Re: Next Manager

    Seriously, who cares about the manager, go and get the fucking arms.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

  7. #37

    Re: Next Manager

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Mike Lowell. I don't know if he has been mentioned or if he would be interested, but he would command respect. Guys would play for him.
    He has been mentioned in several reports I have seen. Him with Bill Mueller and Varitek have been the options of former players. I think a former player like Varitek or Lowell would be a decent option. I just hope that Cherington really does evaluate and interview a lot of candidates and does not just the idea of only hiring Farrell in mind. I know that he will conduct several interviews, but let's just hope he gives others a chance. I am not big on Farrell and I am not saying he will not be a good manager here, but there are plenty of options. Let's just hope we choose the right option.
    "Laser Show"

  8. #38

    Re: Next Manager

    The buzz is pretty strong that it's going to be Farrell. And I'm hearing a lot of negativity about Farrell already. Great...

  9. #39

    Re: Next Manager

    I am reading a lot about Farrell as well. If the Jays ask for some crazy compensation I hope the Sox walk away. The losing that went on in Toronto this season probably led to a lot of the problems the Jays had in the club house. Farrell had a lot of injuries to his starting pitching and he lost his best hitter for a good part of the season so that has a lot to do with their struggles. As for Varitek I here he is not interested in managing at this time. Lowell and Mueller are both interesting candidates. I had mention Ryne Sandberg as a possibility and then the Phillies made him their bench coach for 2013. He is probably going to be the next Phillies manager when Charlie leaves.

  10. #40

    Re: Next Manager

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The buzz is pretty strong that it's going to be Farrell. And I'm hearing a lot of negativity about Farrell already. Great...
    I watched a lot of the Jays games the last two years. His teams were very unsound fundamentally and they ran the bases recklessly. I had heard the same evaluations from our broadcasters and the Yankee broadcasters. We don't need this guy, especially if we have to provide compensation.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  11. #41

    Re: Next Manager

    A lot of people say pitching coaches don't make good managers and that may be the case with Farrell.

  12. #42

    Re: Next Manager

    Manny Acta is available now.

    Just kidding of course. I wouldn't wish that slime on any team.

  13. #43

    Re: Next Manager

    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    I was criticized for posting this before but I think it important to let you know in the U.S. major league baseball the term is manager not head coach.

    I confess I had a culture shock when I was managing my second game in a Spanish baseball league nearly thirty years ago and the "arbitro" started flashing me a yellow card when I went out to protest a call. My players started rushing me off the field before I got a "red" card. My question for you is in the Israeli league do they "card" players as well.
    Carding is a soccer thing, we don't really do that with other sports.
    Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good too.

  14. #44

    Re: Next Manager

    Quote Originally Posted by TutGadol View Post
    Carding is a soccer thing, we don't really do that with other sports.
    That's why I was stunned by them doing in Spain. Of course that was in 1980.

  15. #45
    El mar no cesa iortiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    11,418

    Re: Next Manager

    Just heard that Tito to Cleveland...
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •