Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Manager

Deity

Re: Next Manager

That is a surprise. Seems to me that Tito's major talents lend themselves to a big market team somewhere. Maybe Tito is just done with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    That is a surprise. Seems to me that Tito's major talents lend themselves to a big market team somewhere. Maybe Tito is just done with that.
    There's only 30 teams, even less big market ones. That means there are 30 manager jobs out there, he probably just took the first one he was offered.
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    I'm not so sure that's true. Tito did big market well, but in charge of a small market does he do things differently? We don't know that yet.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Rdsxmbnt View Post
    There's only 30 teams, even less big market ones. That means there are 30 manager jobs out there, he probably just took the first one he was offered.
    Well no, he said it was either going to be Cleveland or staying with ESPN, so...

Tito has roots with the Indians by the way of his father and has a good relationship with their GM. I wish him well. He took a lot of the blame and was treaded badly on his way out Boston. I will always respect Tito for what he was able to do in 2004. Down 0-3 to the $pankees and no history of that type of come back ever happening. Hewas responsible for part of the 2004 magic. The question who will be Sox next manager?

Legend

Let's all agree that the dumbest thing the Red Sox could do would be to give up a top prospect for
    the right to sniff Farrell's underwear, I mean, make him their manager. Love affairs have been known to be bad for the Red Sox. AdGon comes to mind. There are plenty of good manager prospects out there--especially guys who are good with youngsters. They have to look no further than Arnie Beyeler, who is an ideal candidate for obvious reasons.

Cherington's recent remark about wanting a lineup 1-9 in hitters is disturbing. The guy still doesn't get it. The problem is PITCHING, Ben. This year, the Sox finished in the top 5 or 6 in AL hitting, the bottom 5 or 6 in pitching. And that's with Papi taking the last two months off and Ellsbury being a non factor. What's needed is a pitching overhaul, and that should include an increased emphasis on DEFENSE.
    Hopefully James and the other new consultants will help restore front office sanity, which has been missing the past few years.

Major Leaguer

No matter who ends up as the next manager, the Red Sox simply cannot spend nearly as long as they spent last off season to come to a decision. Granted, they shouldn't necessarily rush and hire the wrong person. But it is extremely important that they move swiftly and, hopefully, they are are already into the early to middle stages of the process.

I think Pete Abe made a good point in his recent blog post today that as each day passes, the potential pool of managerial and coaching candidates will dwindle as well. Francona, who was hired over the weekend and was introduced today, serves as an example of how swiftly the other teams with current and potential managerial and coaching vacancies may have an advantage with early decisions. Say what you want about how Francona's tenure ended, but for the better part of his time here, he had a strong, talented, and committed coaching staff that played a large role in preparing the players to do their absolute best. Looking back on this season, it is very clear that V and his coaching staff were not committed to the same goal as a group.

When you also consider the multiple player personnel decisions this team faces as well, there simply is no excuse to spend nearly the amount of time spent last year on what turned out to be a terrible decision anyways.

Major Leaguer

No matter who ends up as the next manager, the Red Sox simply cannot spend nearly as long as they spent last off season to come to a decision. Granted, they shouldn't necessarily rush and hire the wrong person. But it is extremely important that they move swiftly and, hopefully, they are are already into the early to middle stages of the process.

I think Pete Abe made a good point in his recent blog post today that as each day passes, the potential pool of managerial and coaching candidates will dwindle as well. Francona, who was hired over the weekend and was introduced today, serves as an example of how swiftly the other teams with current and potential managerial and coaching vacancies may have an advantage with early decisions. Say what you want about how Francona's tenure ended, but for the better part of his time here, he had a strong, talented, and committed coaching staff that played a large role in preparing the players to do their absolute best. Looking back on this season, it is very clear that V and his coaching staff were not committed to the same goal as a group.

When you also consider the multiple player personnel decisions this team faces as well, there simply is no excuse to spend nearly the amount of time spent last year on what turned out to be a terrible decision anyways.

All-Star

Tim Wallach is an interesting option that I read about today. I do not really know much about him other than he has some managerial experience with the Dodgers AAA team and has experience as a hitting coach and 3B coach. Does anyone know more about him? He is getting an interview for the Red Sox position next week.

Tim Wallach is an interesting name that has been mentioned. I think the Sox are going to interview him and he is interested. He had some success at AAA with the Dodgers. In 2009 he was named Pacific Coast League manager of the year as his team won a franchise record number of games. I liked him as a player and have heard good things about him.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    Tim Wallach is an interesting name that has been mentioned. I think the Sox are going to interview him and he is interested. He had some success at AAA with the Dodgers. In 2009 he was named Pacific Coast League manager of the year as his team won a franchise record number of games. I liked him as a player and have heard good things about him.
    Like I said in my previous post, I do not know much about him, but I feel like he might be a decent option. I like the success he had in AAA with the Dodgers. I do not know much about his managing style, but he is a guy that many people probably do not know much about.

I think Wallach would make my short list as well.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    I think Wallach would make my short list as well.
    I think a pick like him would work over Farrell. He would cost a lot in terms of compensation. I do not like how bad his record has been with the Jays either. I just do not see why the FO is so high on him. I would probably even want Mills or Bogar over him as well. There are some interesting options with Mills, Ausmus, Varitek, Bogar, and Wallach. At least it sounds like the FO is exploring different options.

I have a feeling Brad Ausmus will go far in the managerial search. Former defensive catchers have had some success this yr.
    Hal sucks

I agree with Jackson, I think Ausmus will go deep in the search for a new manager. I hear Farrells name obviously, but I just don't like him as our manager. Tek is way too soon IMO