Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Ortiz..now, later or never

Major Leaguer

Ortiz..now, later or never

I am guessing because of treatment DO has stayed in Boston rather than going to the DR. Because he has been around, there have been too many stories about his re-signing. Supposedly there have been talks with the FO even though nobody knows if he recovered from his injury. Would you sign him now, wait until he demonstrates that he has his strength back or let him go because of the huge money he wants?

Re: Ortiz..now, later or never

What's sort of amusing is that David is talking like he'd already signed for next year, saying things like 'we'll be better next year', 'Farrell is going to be great for us' etc.

If the sox plan to go for it for next yr, then they have to re-sign him. If they see themselves rebuilding, then they really have to let him go and take a pick. I think they offer him the qualifying offer, see him reject it 5 days later and let him linger to see how their team comes together. If it is obvious that they're gonna suck, they have to let him walk. What's the point of having an expensive late 30s DH around to make your team suck a little less
    Hal sucks

I think he'll be signed, 50% for baseball reasons and 50% for box-office/good vibes reasons.

As we've noted here, this foolish new wild card gives more teams a shot at the playoffs, and I'm sure no matter how good or bad our opening day roster is, we'll be selling 'shot at the playoffs'.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    If the sox plan to go for it for next yr, then they have to re-sign him. If they see themselves rebuilding, then they really have to let him go and take a pick. I think they offer him the qualifying offer, see him reject it 5 days later and let him linger to see how their team comes together. If it is obvious that they're gonna suck, they have to let him walk. What's the point of having an expensive late 30s DH around to make your team suck a little less
    Considering he had the highest OPS in baseball around mid-summer last year at a cool 14 million, and has had only two significant injuries over the last decade, I see no reason not to sign him for two years.

I definitely hope we resign him.

Banned

He's still putting up big numbers, and we probably don't have to go more than two years for him. This is a no brainer.

Major Leaguer

I am not sure that there is a PR concern for signing or not signing him. Youk was a big fan favorite ( who else had their own chant from the stands when he came up) and there was no huge outcry when he was sent packing.

Right now I see no reason to sign him for even a year until it is seen that he can still play, having totally recovered from his injury and even then not for huge money.

Deity

The injury part of the equation for Ortiz is the thing that has to be resolved. Clearly these older players ultimately just wear out. It looks like Jeter's ankle just shattered when he came down on it during the playoffs. That looked like an injury that would not have been an injury to a younger player...somebody whose ankle had not been under the stress of MLB season after season. Stuff just wears out and then it breaks.

So Ortiz has to at least completely recover from the injury he had going out the 2012 season. He is such a potent power hitter that if they do sign him, I would probably ask him not to be as agressive on the base paths in 2013 as he was in 2012.

All-Star

I do not know why anyone would not want to resign him. He had an unfortunate injury and is usually pretty reliable. If he is guaranteed to be healthy at the beginning of the year, then I do not see why we cannot sign him to a two year deal. He will be a big part of this team's success next year.

Major Leaguer

Apparently the RS and John Farrell thought that this is a good idea.....2 years without knowing if his 37 year old body has recovered from his injury. It does not sound like a good idea to me.

Doesn't the insurance company have to approve any hirings to make sure there is no health issues they will get stuck for. I am thinking about Schilling when Theo brougbht him back for several million dollars. There was a shoulder issue and Schilling never threw one pitch, kept the money and the RS were on the hook for the money since he had been rejected by the insurance company