Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Next Manager

Re: Next Manager

I don't want Farrell even if he gets fired by the Jays.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend

If they want Farrell, they should wait--he's going to get fired. He's in hot water up there, and they should just wait.

They are making a big mistake going after him now. Giving up a good prospect to get him will have fan repercussions.

They like this guy because he hit it off with the front office and the owners when he was here. It's a personality thing. I don't think a lot of people were thrilled with his performance as pitching coach.
    Nobody made an effort to keep him at the time. Now they want him again.

The real problem with this team is the upper management. Lucchino and above. They let the front office go to pot, losing a couple of senior people, and laying off the consultants. Then the team collapses after bad trades and signings, and they blame the manager. Lucchino has made enough mistakes lately to be fired himself. But he's too high to be fired. The organization sucks. And it will still suck with Farrell as manager.

A lot of people in this organization feel entitled--right up the line. It isn't just some players.That was evident when Valentine found he was managing in a vacuum.

I really don't know what to think of the pursuit of the next manager for the Red Sox. Obviously they like Farrell, and it's clear that not being particularly successful in one place does not mean that you can't be successful elsewhere (Torre, Francona, etc.).

I want someone who handles people well (to me, that's the #1 job of a manager), who commands the players' respect, and who puts players in the best position to succeed. If that all happens, and the players have talent, the team should do fine.

Is Farrell that guy? Who knows. Is Ausmus or Pena a better candidate? Who knows. I don't really know enough about these guys to know how they'd do in all three areas I listed.

But the bottom line is this: the players need to stop sucking, regardless of who the manager is.

It seems like the Sox are really targeting Farrell. They must really think he is a huge step in correcting the pitching problems the Sox experienced in 2012. The Jays are going to ask for the moon, and the FO better not give up the moon. Especially, if that involves a top pitching prospect.

I absolutely agree with you here. But I think the problem is that year-over-year, not only is this their third manager in three years, they'll have their fourth pitching coach in four years, Dave Magadan just defected, and many of the minor coaches have left/fired.

It seems like Tim Bogar is the only coach that has been around any considerable amount of time. There has been so much inconsistency within the team's coaching that Farrell may be their solution.

My list in order would be:

Ausmus
    Wallach
    Farrell (no compensation)
    Hale
    Farrell (compensation)

I'm very interested as to why nobody wants Farrell. It doesn't make sense to me. He's the perfect candidate, IMO. He's already got all the respect in the world for our players. He's already got a relationship with our players.

He's a big disciplinarian who is an intimidating force. Plus, all of the team leaders (i.e. Lester, Buchholz, Pedroia, Ortiz) all have huge, huge respect for him and that's where it will filter down.

If you want to point out his record, that's complete bullshit. Francona didn't crack .500 with the Phillies before he was hired by the Sox. Not to mention that Farrell has much, much better relationships with the guys in Boston than the guys in Toronto. And he's got a huge desire to be in Boston.

To me, he's baseball's version of Bill Belichick.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    To me, he's baseball's version of Bill Belichick.
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.:lol:

I was very turned off with how he treated Dice-k, and how that relationship completely melted down. Manny Delcarmen stated that he was afraid to tell Farrell about one of his injuries. I don't think that's the kind of guy I want handling a team that is going to have a ton of young players in the years to come. Pitchers seemed to leave the Red Sox and turn into elite talent almost immediately.

The beer-and-chicken club started under his watch in 2010 as well.

Major Leaguer

I have nothing personal against JF. I feel about him as I felt about Cherrington. The RS needed to clean house and bring in the fresh eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.:lol:

I was very turned off with how he treated Dice-k, and how that relationship completely melted down. Manny Delcarmen stated that he was afraid to tell Farrell about one of his injuries. I don't think that's the kind of guy I want handling a team that is going to have a ton of young players in the years to come. Pitchers seemed to leave the Red Sox and turn into elite talent almost immediately.

The beer-and-chicken club started under his watch in 2010 as well.
    DiceK was a rotten talent. He went through Farrel, Curt Young, McClure, and Niemman and never was a good pitcher. In fact, you could argue that his best outings were from 07-10, where he posted a 4.18 ERA over the span of 98 starts. After that, he had 19 starts to a 6.94 ERA. Farrell was hardly an issue with DiceK.

I've never heard anything regarding the MDC afraid to admit an injury to Farrell, but that doesn't sound like that's on Farrell, that's on MDC. If he didn't want to admit it to Farrell, he could have spoken with Francona, Tuck, or any number of other coaches and/or medical personnel.

As for the beer and chicken, that is easily one of the most overblown thing I've ever seen. The problem wasn't that the Sox had beer and chicken in the clubhouse. That was only the symbol for a team that was quitting. The 04 team took shots before game 4 against the Yankees. Nobody cared about that.

The 2010 Red Sox had Buchholz throw to a 2.33 ERA with 17 wins. Lester threw to a 3.25 ERA and had 19 wins. Lackey tossed 215 IP to a 4.40 ERA and had 14 wins.

Christ, if that's the kind of production we get with beer and chicken, bring the shit back.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Ok, then bring him back as pitching coach in 2014.

I think they need a different voice in there until things turn around.