Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Manager

Next Manager

Who do you think it will be?

Maddox?
    Sciosca?
    Farrell?

Re: Next Manager

Why on earth do people think Farrell is a good head coach.

It is hard telling what the market will be in four years. Meaning BV will be here for at least that duration.

Why on earth would any of the really solid managerial candidates come here of all places? There's better places for an aspiring manager to put down roots right now.

With the way the room is, combined with the way the office is, this is a job that grinds good managers up. Look what happened to Tito. If he can't hack this job, with all the advantages he had going for him going into the year, I can't see any manager with a good reputation risking it by agreeing to come here. Likely it's going to be a new retread every few years until a few people wise up or leave.

That said my choice at the moment would be DeMarlo Hale. We got worse quickly after DeMarlo moved on. It might be a coincidence, but then again it might not.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Anyone with no ties to the organization would be fine with me. I don't really care for Hale, Mills, Farrell, etc. Though I'd give Beyeler consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by ConroyManfrogg View Post
    Why on earth do people think Farrell is a good head coach.

It is hard telling what the market will be in four years. Meaning BV will be here for at least that duration.
    There hasn't been a head coach in the major leagues since 1966 when Leo Durocher ended Phil Wrigley's failed experiment of a naming a head coach instead of a manager. During Wrigley's failed experiment the Cubs were consistently one of the worst teams in baseball.

If you bring someone from outside the organization it has to be someone that is respected around baseball. Because it is someone the players need to respect from day 1. This person can't the headline every night. If the manager is the headline every night then he is either saying something stupid or is managing is stupid. Before I make a pick I think there are some current managers that might be candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Anyone with no ties to the organization would be fine with me. I don't really care for Hale, Mills, Farrell, etc. Though I'd give Beyeler consideration.
    I think that's a bit shortsighted. Hale's a solid coach, and I could easily see him measuring up to a managerial position.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    There hasn't been a head coach in the major leagues since 1966 when Leo Durocher ended Phil Wrigley's failed experiment of a naming a head coach instead of a manager. During Wrigley's failed experiment the Cubs were consistently one of the worst teams in baseball.
    didacticism at its finest. You knew what he meant, don't be an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    If you bring someone from outside the organization it has to be someone that is respected around baseball. Because it is someone the players need to respect from day 1. This person can't the headline every night. If the manager is the headline every night then he is either saying something stupid or is managing is stupid. Before I make a pick I think there are some current managers that might be candidates.
    Maybe, but you have to make sure that you're approaching respectability from the right perspective. Just because the media or the fans respect a guy doesn't mean the players will. And two managers later don't try to tell me that the players have to sit down, shut up and take it. That's not what MLB has looked like at any time in the last 3 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    didacticism at its finest. You knew what he meant, don't be an asshole.
    No an asshole would permit someone to continue to sound ignorant by using a term that is not used in major league baseball. Just as there is no crying in baseball, there are no head coaches in the major leagues.

Legend

The management seems to be in love with Farrell. The guy has had a mediocre two years managing the Jays. And he was no Johnny Sain as pitching coach in Boston. Yet they seem to be willing to sacrifice a prospect to get him. I hope not. He's not worth it.
    Pitching coaches rarely make good managers, by the way. Somebody should remind Henry of that.

It's not just the manager that makes a successful organization. It's the people upstairs. And I don't see the people upstairs there yet that can reassemble this team. Henry pulled off a coup getting rid of a lot of gold plated deadwood. But I don't think he has the management team to be successful.

Mike Stanley.

I sincerely hope it is not Farrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I think that's a bit shortsighted. Hale's a solid coach, and I could easily see him measuring up to a managerial position.
    Hale was the bench coach for ladt year's fiasco, no thanks. He showed little leadership over this group then, why would it change now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chin Music33 View Post
    Mike Stanley.
    He quit coaching in 2002. Why would he come back?