Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Red Sox Pitching Coach

Double A

Red Sox Pitching Coach

Watching the SF/Cin game and wondering about the availability of Dave (Spaghetti) Righett,i whom I loved as a pitcher even if he was for the Yankees, as a Pitching Coach. Understand he is pretty much unlikely to move from the Bay area. But this made me wonder about what the Red Sox are going to do about a pitching coach for next year. Based on the results this year where the Sox pitching staff was in the bottom four in the American League in nearly every area there have to be some changes.
    Some suggest that the next Manager should be allowed to select his own coaching staff. It seems to me that a really good Manager gets the best out of the staff he has whether they are coaches or players. Bum Phillips used to say about Don Shula something like: "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."
    So who would you like to see as the Red Sox pitching coach for 2013? I think what Righetti has done with the SF pitching staff is pretty amazing. Sox should at least give him a call.

Re: Red Sox Pitching Coach

I think they will learn from their mistakes and allow their manager to pick his own pitching coach. It will probably be someone we havent seen in that capacity before
    Hal sucks

Rich Sauveur, is the perfect pitching coach for the redsox,

Lets get a manager first. An then let him select a pitching coach that he can work with. FO forcing coaches on managers is something that the Sox can' afford to do again. The manager and pitching coach have to be on the same page or the pitching staff takes a hit. (See 2012 season)

All-Star

It should be the former cardinals pitching coach dave duncan. He seems to always maximize his pitchers value with the likes of Joel Pineiro and Kyle Lohse

The Sox should hire Brad Ausmus to manage.

Then wait for Farrell to be fired, and see if you can hire him as your pitching coach.

If not, check in on Pedro. I think he'd love to be a pitching coach, and I'd love it if he could teach some of our young guys (Webster, De La Rosa, Barnes) his change up.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

All-Star

Pedro as a pitching coach would be intriguing but I do not think Pedro would be up for the daily grind that it brings

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post

Then wait for Farrell to be fired, and see if you can hire him as your pitching coach.

If not, check in on Pedro. I think he'd love to be a pitching coach, and I'd love it if he could teach some of our young guys (Webster, De La Rosa, Barnes) his change up.
    For this season atleast, I think Pedro helps the Sox most by acting as a minor league pitching instructor or coach. He'd be perfect working with our younger pitchers on their stuff and mental approach, as you've mentioned.

As most of us tend to agree, the next pitching coach should be the sole decision of the next manager. They have to be able to work together in harmony for the Sox to have any hope of improving the under performing pitchers and helping the younger pitchers emerge.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post

Makes sense, but don't count on this happening based on what management has done lately--which is mostly bad. They'll probably give up a Bogaerts for Farrell. The Jays aren't like the Red Sox--they won't let Farrell go without compensation first.

While Bobby V gets all the blame in the media, the real culprits are Henry and Lucchino, who stripped the front office bare the last few years and finally let Epstein go before they agreed on compensation--another silly move. That's the real story about the Red Sox demise--not beer and chicken--or Bobby.

I don't have much confidence in Lucchino or Henry right now, so I doubt they will do the right thing. The first thing they should do is get Lucchino away from team operations.
    But it appears Henry is unwilling to bring a senior person into the organization from the outside. It has become an insular organization--and that's trouble.

Legend

Cherington's FO mea culpa this morning in the Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...tKN/story.html

Pretty much consistent with my previous post last night, before this article came out. The decline of the Red Sox was a decline of the front office. It wasn't chicken and beer, and other such nonsense. It wasn't even Tito--though Tito was a very lax manager--at least in the end without his bench coach, Mills, to keep things in order.

Cherington says they changed direction. Part of the problem was Lucchino-Epstein's cost cutting, which eliminated a number of saber consultants, including Bill James. Maybe others, since we don't know much about the FO.Another part was the loss of Hoyer and Byrnes by promotion to other teams. These guys were probably no. 2 and 3 in the FO. Were they replaced? Doesn't appear so.

Cherington, under obvious financial constraints, made a number of personnel decisions this year which blew up in his face. The worst one was moving Bard to starter. Especially when it was known that he might have anxiety issues on starting based on his minor league experiences. They figured they would save money on signing a new starter by moving him, and they may have wrecked his career. The other bad moves were the trades-- with Oakland and Houston. Lowry would probably found injuries again in Boston, but he is a better SS than what they presently have. Melancon was a disaster. In Bailey, they inherited another injury machine, when they might have gotten Gio G. with close to the same package. They tried to get both, but their priority was Bailey--the closer. Wrong priority. Bard would have probably made a better closer than Aceves. Now we may never know. The oine decent thing they did was sign Ross.

Cherington mentions the Dodger deal that "we" pulled off. Even though Henry has dictated that Cherington get "credit" for the deal (isn't it nice to be stroked by your boss?), the facts reported in several places says the deal was pulled off by Henry and Kasten at the owners meetings in mid-August. GMs don't do these kind of deals, and nobody really thinks Ben had the authority to do anything like this anyways. I do, however, think Ben et al in the FO had a big hand in picking out the Dodger prospects coming to Boston. Good job, there, I think.

I still have my doubts the current FO is capable of turning this team around--at least very quickly. More changes will probably be needed, and the addition of James and other veteran scouts is a step in the right direction.

Rick Peterson interviewed today.....

anybody know how that went? Id really like to see what he can to with our broken, yet talented pitching staff. If anybody could fix some of those guys, its him and Duncan.

Curt Young has been good in Oakland after losing this staff. Not sure if Peterson would make a difference.

Legend

I agree Farrell should have his own people on the coaching staff. Lucchino-Henry have surely learned their lesson on that after last years' disaster. It's incredible they would pay a manager $5million for two years, and give him coaches with more loyalty to the FO which opposed him. That's the core of their dysfunction last year. Of course, it helps that Farrell is the FO choice, as well as Lucchino-Henry's.

Peterson was probably the guy they needed last year. This year, it depends on whether he's Farrell's choice. Farrell was/is also a pitching coach, and his pitching coach will have to be on the same page.

@Jen_Royle: Industry source says he'd be shocked if Rick Peterson isn't the new Red Sox pitching coach. As previously reported, decision to come by Tues

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoxSport View Post
    Cherington's FO mea culpa this morning in the Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...tKN/story.html

Pretty much consistent with my previous post last night, before this article came out. The decline of the Red Sox was a decline of the front office. It wasn't chicken and beer, and other such nonsense. It wasn't even Tito--though Tito was a very lax manager--at least in the end without his bench coach, Mills, to keep things in order.

Cherington says they changed direction. Part of the problem was Lucchino-Epstein's cost cutting, which eliminated a number of saber consultants, including Bill James. Maybe others, since we don't know much about the FO.Another part was the loss of Hoyer and Byrnes by promotion to other teams. These guys were probably no. 2 and 3 in the FO. Were they replaced? Doesn't appear so.

Cherington, under obvious financial constraints, made a number of personnel decisions this year which blew up in his face. The worst one was moving Bard to starter. Especially when it was known that he might have anxiety issues on starting based on his minor league experiences. They figured they would save money on signing a new starter by moving him, and they may have wrecked his career. The other bad moves were the trades-- with Oakland and Houston. Lowry would probably found injuries again in Boston, but he is a better SS than what they presently have. Melancon was a disaster. In Bailey, they inherited another injury machine, when they might have gotten Gio G. with close to the same package. They tried to get both, but their priority was Bailey--the closer. Wrong priority. Bard would have probably made a better closer than Aceves. Now we may never know. The oine decent thing they did was sign Ross.

Cherington mentions the Dodger deal that "we" pulled off. Even though Henry has dictated that Cherington get "credit" for the deal (isn't it nice to be stroked by your boss?), the facts reported in several places says the deal was pulled off by Henry and Kasten at the owners meetings in mid-August. GMs don't do these kind of deals, and nobody really thinks Ben had the authority to do anything like this anyways. I do, however, think Ben et al in the FO had a big hand in picking out the Dodger prospects coming to Boston. Good job, there, I think.

I still have my doubts the current FO is capable of turning this team around--at least very quickly. More changes will probably be needed, and the addition of James and other veteran scouts is a step in the right direction.
    No way the Red Sox get Gio for that package.