Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is most athletic athlete?

Who is most athletic athlete?

Honestly, I've never seen anyone as athletic as Lebron James, his size, speed and jumping ability is just unbelievable. I truly believe he could be dominant in many other sports. He is just that crazy athletically.

Re: Who is most athletic athlete?

Bo Jackson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

That is another good one, I'm too young to have seen him play (Im only 20) but I've seen video of him and watched one of those ESPN 30 for 30s and he was crazy good as well.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

You already said it, LeBron James.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

The problem with saying Lebron is that he plays in a sport where if someone looks at hom the wrong way, it's called a foul. What would happen to him if he lined up as a TE and took a big shot? We'll never know.

Jim Thorpe might be the greatest ever, but in my lifetime it's probably Bo. Maybe Deion Sanders (fast, played 2 sports, would be scary on a fastbreak).

I'd put Zdeno Chara in the mix. Hockey in terms of raw athleticism is a much more intense sport because it's both very physical (anaerobic) and very aerobic too. Z is one of the best power defensemen in a game tilted towards the offense and he can play at a high level in all three zones (for a defenseman at least).

All time I think you have to give a lot of consideration to #4, Bobby Orr too. He's riiiiiight up there, and as a defenseman who wasn't afraid to "go" if the situation called for it, he's easily the more complete of him and Gretzky, even if Gretzky might have been more offensively talented.

What hockey players do, I honestly think, is a cut above what a lot of athletes do in terms of conditioning and real athletics. There just isn't that much standing around or jogging from place to place on the ice relative to the other 3 major sports. A real end to end game with a lot of rushes and transitions will take the best conditioned athlete in the world from fresh to exhausted in about 3 minutes. There's a reason that even the best conditioned hockey players are only let out onto the ice for a minute or two before being replaced with fresher bodies.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

I think you have to give the edge to the guys who proved they could play 2 sports successfully at the major league level.

LeBron is a great athlete, of course, but could he succeed in the NFL or MLB? We'll never know. Michael Jordan found out he wasn't good enough for MLB.

Sidney Crosby

Speaking in terms of athletic completness, I'd take an athletic defenseman over an athletic forward. Defensemen get no love compared to forwards, but what they do in terms of requiring skill is actually far harder. Crosby's a special talent but since we're talking pure athletics, I'd call him and Chara actually a trade-off. Z is surprisingly nimble, as well as probably being one of the best power athletes in North America. Crosby is much faster and flashier, but he doesn't even pretend to have that kind of power game.

I take what Z can do over anyone in the NBA in terms of raw pysicality considering what the rules differences mean,and any running back in the National Seven Seconds Of Play Between Whistles League is not in consideration. He's a very proficient defender skillswise too, he'd be a very solid defender even without his hard-won advantage of sheer strength. Chara is probably the premiere power player across sports in all of North America.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Banned

LeBron James.

LBJ is probably the other guy. I'll give him that much. The ways the NBA is different from other leagues makes him more prominent. The hockey players I'm talking up tend to grab much less limelight because a hockey player can't be on the ice for 100% of the game (goaltenders obviously excepted).

In my mind though it definitely comes down to Chara vs. James. It seems wierd to talk up Z as if he's in that universe, but honestly, I tried kinda hard to find a good reason not to and didn't find one. And considering how much more the sport of hockey asks of an athlete compared to basketball (Glen Big Baby Davis and other heavyset NBAers would never make it in the NHL) I think that has to at least blunt James's advantage a bit.

All time: Jim Thorpe

Current: LBJ. All of this talk about hockey players is making my head spin. None of this hockey players exhibit such raw athleticism as Lebron.
    We miss you Mike.

Jackie Robinson was a multiple sport star. Wilt Chamberlain was a track and field standout in addition to basketball.

In the world of track and field it is an extraordinarily rare athlete that can compete at the highest level in the shortest sprints, all the jumping events, and the throwing events. This dynamic collection of talents is so rare in fact that Wilt might be the only man ever to possess this unique skill set.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Wilt-Chamb...all&id=4113288
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Colin Kaepernick , I forgot about him .
    Dude can play baseball , basketball and football and very good at all of them .

Thorpe played Basketball, Baseball and Football at the Major League level and won olympic gold medals in decathlon and pentathlon ( these were later removed for semi-pro involvement, but he still won 'em). He also competed and excelled in basically every athletic activity imaginable at the amateur level.
    We miss you Mike.