Register now to remove this ad

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Red Sox predictions.

Banned

Re: 2013 Red Sox predictions.

The Red Sox win 83 games and finish 4th. They win 76 games if they are sellers at the deadline.

Deity

The Red Sox win 83 games and finish 4th. They win 76 games if they are sellers at the deadline.
    Will definitely be an interesting division race in an interesting league race for 2013. We could see two teams run off and finish close to each other or the top three in the division run off in a cluster. I don't think that top AL East division cluster will be four teams deep. I am inclined to think that at most the top three teams end up in a cluster at the top with the fourth team somewhere between that cluster of three and whichever team finishes in the AL East basement.

Then with the other league races being what they are, if there is more than a game dif between 2 and 3 in the East I think the team finishing 3rd in the division goes home. Heck this year, everybody in the East but the division winner may end up going home.

The only thing I don't see is one team in the division running off and hiding. That one is hard to imagine even considering the Jays moves. I don't see them running off and hiding and I don't see anybody running off and hiding from them. Massive injuries to any one team could change things some.

Entirely possible to see the Sox and Yanks battling each other to stay out of the basement. However, think the O's stand a better chance of being in that battle than being in the battle at the other end of the division. Yanks won't be able to afford anybody going down in the rotation and have a ton of HR's to find year over year. Watch.....the new RF wall in Yankee Stadium will end up a couple feet beyond the 2nd base hole. Pedey will be turning around and yelling at Victorino to get the hell off his ass and the umps will be caught employing the infield fly rule only to see the ball go over the fence......mass embarrassment....Selig left befuddled as usual

Quote Originally Posted by reYoukalis View Post
    Saltalamacchia is going to have a darn good season (offensively of course) and make everyone feel embarrased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Disagree. Oh, he'll have a good season. I agree with that, but the serial offenders will still find a way to say he sucks, no matter what inconvenient fact has to be downplayed to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    .230 25 HR's and shit defense? Is that a good season now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Is it not?
    I am the original Salty hater. He will suck.

The only way he can prove you wrong SCM is if he hits over 30 homers, drives in about 80-85 runs, hits around 265, learns how to handle pitchers and doesn't strike out 140 times as he did last season. Looks like you will be right in your assessment.

It would be nice if we were both wrong on this, though. With Ortiz out for who know how long, it would be nice to see Jarrod finally live up to the hype that first Epstein and now the rest of he front office have thrown his way.

I predict they win 90 games. The pitching staff does a complete 180, everyone pitches to their abilities and career norms. Bullpen becomes a strength but Hanrahan struggles as closer.....losing Papelbon continues to haunt us.

Some MLB players still perceive Red Sox as 'mess'

Mar 22, 2013 09:01 AM
    By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff

Ten percent of 110 players surveyed anonymously by ESPN Magazine indicated the Red Sox are still one of the biggest messes in baseball.
    "The Red Sox will be a disaster," said one NL pitcher, one of the players who responded to the question of Who is the HOTTEST Mess in Baseball?"

The Miami Marlins got 43 percent of the vote, the Astros 38 percent, but Boston came in third.

The players felt the Blue Jays should win the World Series.

The survey is part of the magazine's MLB preview, which hits newstands on Friday.

Other nuggets:

'Do you know of any gay players?' 5% said YES.

Background: The vast majority answer is NO (94.6%) with about an equal split then saying some version of 'nobody would care' or 'it wouldn't bother me, but it would be a problem for other guys' when asked to elaborate. Then there are the 5.4% who already know of a gay colleague. 'Yes, but that's as far as I want to go, even if this is anonymous,' says one NL player.

When asked about guns, 46% confirmed YES to owning firearms.

Background: More than half of those surveyed say they do not own any guns. But the other 51 respondents have a total of 258 firearms among them (5.1 per gun-owning player), for an overall average of 2.4 per player. 'Let me ask you something,' says a potential Cy Young Award winner. 'If you were rich and famous and your salary was in the newspaper every week, would you worry about your wife and kids? That's why I have guns.'
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Just behind Miami (still remember when some said that this team became a big market team jajaja), and the Astros? Geez!
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Great. And last year, they would have called the A's and the Orioles a mess. And in 2011, they would have called the Red Sox a masterpiece. And in 2010, they would have called the Padres a mess. And in 2009, they would have called the Rockies a mess. And in 2008, they would have called the Rays a mess.

Point being. That doesn't bother me at all. Especially since this is an NL pitcher who has zero insight with the Red Sox anyway.

I can't wait for this team to surprise a lot of people. Including a lot of people on this thread and in Boston.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

By the way - NL Pitcher? Hmm. I wonder who that could POSSIBLY be? *Cough Beckett Cough*
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

All-Star

Who do the Red Sox sell at the deadline if they are tanking?
    \

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxbeatz View Post
    Hanrahan, Bailey. Be sure to ask the other team for a 30HR gold glove OF and its power hitting 1B prospect. :lol:

I think it be easier to list the players they wouldn't deal,

Lester(still possible, less likely)
    Buchholz
    Pedroia
    WMB
    Doubront
    Ortiz(at this point I think he's more valuable to the Sox and their fan base then he is to another, so it wouldn't make a ton of sense)
    Vic( his is a 3 year deal, may be harder to swing and they probably want to keep him around with the youth movement that's likely to happen in the OF).

I imagine everyone else on the ML roster would be fair game given the right return.

They aren't trading Tazawa.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They aren't trading Tazawa.
    Ya he would be less likely. I always manage to forget about him.

With the new wild card it's pretty unlikely they'll be that far out of it at the deadline. Last July 31 they were 53-51, but only a couple of games out of the second wild card spot.