Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubby

Rubby

Don't look now, but after a tough start to the season, de la Rosa seems to have his form back. Perfect over his last 5 outings (combined 18 innings) although his walk count is still quite high.

He's clearly still a work in progress, but it looks like some progress has been verifiably made.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Re: Rubby

So he hasn't been perfect
    Hal sucks

I am not really counting on getting anything from him this year in Boston any way. Let him get his act together and maybe a September call up would be in order. The Sox would like to see him succeed as a starter, but would move him to the pen as another power arm if the whole starting thing doesn't work out.

Rubby had a good outing today-- 5 innings, 4 hits, 1 Run.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Pretty efficient, only 70 pitches. Would like to see a better K/BB out of him though
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?

Wait I thought the Sox cut bait with him after 3 bad starts in April? lol

Today in 1/3 of an inning he gave up 6 runs on 4 hits and 2 walks. Ugly.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I think they should probably try him in the pen from here on out and see if he can have a Joba like effect on your pen. I'd also consider Webster for your pen once Buchholz is back. Young starters with live arms tend to thrive in 1-2 inning stints
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I think they should probably try him in the pen from here on out and see if he can have a Joba like effect on your pen. I'd also consider Webster for your pen once Buchholz is back. Young starters with live arms tend to thrive in 1-2 inning stints
    The knock on Webster is that he can't make it through an order more than twice. That was Papelbon's problem, and he heturned out pretty good in the pen.

Webster and Rubby are throwing mid to high 90s as starters. Throw them in a pen, and you might see some triple digits. I have a feeling that is the plan with these two for this yr, is once Buch is healthy, they move both into the big league pen and see what happens. One will likely thrive, the other might need some work, but it might be a good way to find a strong reliever without having to deal anyone away
    Hal sucks

Webster and Rubby are throwing mid to high 90s as starters. Throw them in a pen, and you might see some triple digits. I have a feeling that is the plan with these two for this yr, is once Buch is healthy, they move both into the big league pen and see what happens. One will likely thrive, the other might need some work, but it might be a good way to find a strong reliever without having to deal anyone away
    Unless there's an urgent need, Webster need to keep starting.

Agree on RDLR about his future out the bullpen.

That would be shortsighted. His previous high in innings is 110, he needs to stretch out his arm if he's ever going to be used as a starter.

This was a huge mistake trading De La Rosa.

He will end up being a very good MLB SP.

Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    This was a huge mistake trading De La Rosa.

He will end up being a very good MLB SP.
    He stinks. Webster in a low pressure environment could succeed if he can harness his command. His stuff is exceptional-- much better than Rubby's stuff.

He stinks. Webster in a low pressure environment could succeed if he can harness his command. His stuff is exceptional-- much better than Rubby's stuff.
    We ought to take bets on these two guys since there seems to be some division of opinion on Rubby and Webster. I have never been a fan of those two and have said so. Delarosa is suited better for the bullpen but he is a pitcher who can drive you nuts with his inconsistency. He was that way with us and when played out here in LA. You're probably right about Webster if he does the things you suggest he does. Either way I don't think we'll miss them at all. What we get from Miley is another mystery but I liked the trade so long as we put a good infield defense out there for him and Porcello, both effective ground ball pitchers.