Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 123 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades before the deadline?

Single A

Trades before the deadline?

The season is taking shape. Anyone have a wish list or projections about moves the Sox might make before the trade deadline?

Re: Trades before the deadline?

I've read a couple sources saying Cliff Lee "wants to win", meaning he probably wants to get the fuck out of Philly. As much as i was against it because of the money he costs, if the team is competitive but needs to boost its starting pitching for the stretch run, i could see it happening.
    We miss you Mike.

And I imagine with the amount of money coming back to Philly we won't need to include much in the way of prospects, so that fits in our "compete now without jeopardizing our future" theme. And we can really use another top tier starter besides Lester/Buchholz and we can use someone like Doubront not starting once every 5 games.

Also I'll give him credit he pitched reasonably well this last time out.

I wish they could pull off something to put Mauer in a Sox uniform. Helps us defensively and offensively. As he ages he can do more DHing when Ortiz is gone. His solid bat in our line up really transforms us into a solid contender. Just wondering if Twins want to keep paying him to stay on a last place team.

As far as pitchers, depending on the seriousness of his back issues, Bud Norris from Houston should be attainable for us to trade for.
    ----------------------------
    Dear Mr. Henry,
    I appreciate the championships- but I'm watching today's game to see a competitive team. I don't keep going back to restaurants who serve terrible food because two years ago I had a great meal there.

Mauer makes way too much money and he's very injury-prone.
    We miss you Mike.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar

The right side of .800 OPS but nowhere near enough power for the $$$ - plus, as he ages he becomes a very expensive DH who, like User Name notes, is injury-prone. If Minnesota were willing to consume a huge percentage of the contract, I wouldn't say no, but that puts them in a bad spot financially and with their fanbase.

I'm just glad Lee didn't sign with the Yankees after how those animals treated his wife.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Regardless of what you guys say, you would love to see Mauer in a Sox uni.
    R.I.P Rod Beck. You were the Kenny Powers of real life.

So i don't know what i think, but you do? That's a new one.
    We miss you Mike.

It's just like being in a relationship. "Let me tell you something about you that you don't know"

I was watching MLB network earlier and someone said that the Sox might pursue Papelbon... That confuses the life out of me. With Hanrahan out, they still have Bailey, Tazawa, and even Uehara, so why get another closer?
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

All-Star

it'd be cool to know what was going to happen with 1B in the future. Something for the farm?

Let's see what the Red Sox look like at the end of June.
    \

I made the comment about Papelbon jokingly a few days ago. At the time, I thought he had 1.5 years left on his deal, but he likely has 3.5 left. Maybe if the Phillies pay half...

No Papelbon please.
    We miss you Mike.

So you guys think that Cliff Lee will come for free because he makes a boatload of money? Lol, the Phillies will have someone eat his whole salary and send legit prospects. I guarantee it. The guy is still an ace
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    So you guys think that Cliff Lee will come for free because he makes a boatload of money? Lol, the Phillies will have someone eat his whole salary and send legit prospects. I guarantee it. The guy is still an ace

I think our point is that Lee isn't worth prospects AND a salary dump. He's probably not even worth his entire salary as a straight dump.

We're (or at least I'm) not saying that some team isn't going to be dumb enough to take on the majority of the salary and deal a top prospect. We don't think Cliff Lee will come for free, and therefore I don't think we want the Sox to deal for him.

Saying that he isn't worth it does not equal saying that a deal won't get done.