Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rules?

Re: Rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Standing Room View Post
    You're clearly part of the problem as well.
    How's that?

He is only asking to focus in baseball discussion all along.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by italstallianion View Post
    I think that we know who the majority of the participants are and that we should tell them the specific posters they need to put on their ignore list so they are forced to use it.

The ignore list isn't great, but it's a good start. Some people aren't going to get along, and they will probably hold those grudges against one another and bring up the past time after time. At this point it's clearly not going to be resolved so both parties (in each example) need to do their best to ignore one another and move on. The site is obviously big enough for us.

But the ignore list has been brought up millions of times and some people claim to use it, but...

Maybe that's the case and it will never get better. It looks like the posters are unable or unwilling to be mature about it, and admins are unwilling to step in. And that's a shame. Just imagine how many knowledgeable baseball posters take one look at the flame wars here and never bother to post.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    How's that?

He is only asking to focus in baseball discussion all along.
    Entering a discussion that he wasn't a part of and writing a paragraph of insults about the other poster and how they never discuss baseball does nothing whatsoever to focus the discussion back on baseball.

This is part of the problem. Both "factions" of posters here fail to acknowledge how they're at fault for any of this, but flame wars simply don't happen without two willing participants.

Maybe that's the case and it will never get better. It looks like the posters are unable or unwilling to be mature about it, and admins are unwilling to step in. And that's a shame. Just imagine how many knowledgeable baseball posters take one look at the flame wars here and never bother to post.
    I only have a year+ around and the forum has had ups and downs, posters come and go but has been pretty good overall.

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Entering a discussion that he wasn't a part of and writing a paragraph of insults about the other poster and how they never discuss baseball does nothing whatsoever to focus the discussion back on baseball.

This is part of the problem. Both "factions" of posters here fail to acknowledge how they're at fault for any of this, but flame wars simply don't happen without two willing participants.
    A lot of people here think that A700 is probably the most knowledgeable and friendly poster in the forum. Look at the talksox awards. His history on talksox speaks by itself.

He's not the problem at all, just the opposite.

As I said... the real problem here is that some posters take baseball opinions so personal.. Why? Still have no idea.

Actually I have 2 years+ around here; hadn't noticed... :lol:

I will never understand why grown men take the internet so seriously.
    President of the Andrew Bailey will be better than Papelbon club
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanWalrus;693016;
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Sox Fan;693012;
    I love dogs but am obviously a "cat person".
    like they say about small cats ..... a little pussy never hurt anyone

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    A lot of people here think that A700 is probably the most knowledgeable and friendly poster in the forum. Look at the talksox awards. His history on talksox speaks by itself.

He's not the problem at all, just the opposite.

As I said... the real problem here is that some posters take baseball opinions so personal.. Why? Still have no idea.

Honestly, while a700 and I are on good terms now, there is something to be said about the number of fights one gets into. Hell the one time I got temp banned was for fighting him. We're all guys, we're bound to be jerks every once in a while (I'm obviously guilty here and there). I definitely think he's knowledgeable, and I do not mean any disrespect Ted, but I would not put "a700" and "nicest poster" in the same sentence. I'd have to look over the award threads and see who voted him.

That said, a700 does defend a lot of posters as well. He's defended a few that have been ganged up on. I feel like a700 is one of those where you either love him or hate him. No homo. (Thank god I don't have any money or else I'd get fined for that)

Edit: How the hell can anyone win the nicest poster award over Y228 anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    The problem is the ignore lists' weakness to the quote feature. I'm using it, but i can still see when someone says something about me if someone else quotes them. I wonder if there's a way around that.

This is true, it's definitely not perfect, but it helps. I think if people used the ignore feature, they'd be less likely to see certain posts, and would be less likely to make angry posts in response, and people would be less likely to see those angry posts and respond etc etc. But it's just as much about posters making passive aggressive cheap shots as it is about the ignore feature.

I think if you take into account a dozen or so posters adding another dozen or so posters on ignore, things would look a lot different. It obviously won't solve anything (as no forum I've seen has a "complete ignore" system) but I think it's a good start.

New Rule; It is prohibited to send around on pm or post on the forum pictures of crushed heads with brains hanging out.

New Rule #2-- After you have been perma-banned under 10 or more different identities, you will not be welcomed back. Standing Room has probably doubled that, so completely lacks credibility with regard to governing behavior on this forum.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

New Rule; It is prohibited to send around on pm or post on the forum pictures of crushed heads with brains hanging out.

New Rule #2-- After you have been perma-banned under 10 or more different identities, you will not be welcomed back. Standing Room has probably doubled that, so completely lacks credibility with regard to governing behavior on this forum.

While there is truth to that, I think he's been good under this account, and UN has been better since returning. I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions. I'm all for having some posters back if they can prove they've grown up. I mean the difference from my posting style when I started here in 2009 vs. now is immense, I'd probably be permabanned from here too if I didn't change.

Some things (like the nasty pictures) there are obviously no excuses for) but I think there is a huge difference between someone at 18 and someone at 25. And the thing about permabans is that they tend to be permanent.

That said I miss Pumpsie. I don't really remember anything about him at this point but I liked seeing his avatar and he seemed like a good poster.

Please keep personal insults out of a thread about acting like decent, grown adults.

Honestly, while a700 and I are on good terms now, there is something to be said about the number of fights one gets into. Hell the one time I got temp banned was for fighting him. We're all guys, we're bound to be jerks every once in a while (I'm obviously guilty here and there). I definitely think he's knowledgeable, and I do not mean any disrespect Ted, but I would not put "a700" and "nicest poster" in the same sentence. I'd have to look over the award threads and see who voted him.

That said, a700 does defend a lot of posters as well. He's defended a few that have been ganged up on. I feel like a700 is one of those where you either love him or hate him. No homo. (Thank god I don't have any money or else I'd get fined for that)

Edit: How the hell can anyone win the nicest poster award over Y228 anyway?
    Thanks Ital. That may be the most objective analysis of me that I have read. I have admitted many times on this forum that I can be a prick, but it almost always in response to someone else behaving badly. I realize that 2 wrongs don't make a right, but today, I just pointed out that UNs post had nothing to do with baseball then it degenerated from there with Dutchy jumping in and egging on UN along with a few others.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

You wrote a paragraph long post full of insults, that mentioned discussing baseball as an afterthought. There's a pretty consistent pattern, it's as if self-constraint doesn't exist. Everyone has to interject their insults and get the last word. Is it really that hard to say "please discuss baseball?"

While there is truth to that, I think he's been good under this account, and UN has been better since returning. I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions. I'm all for having some posters back if they can prove they've grown up. I mean the difference from my posting style when I started here in 2009 vs. now is immense, I'd probably be permabanned from here too if I didn't change.

Some things (like the nasty pictures) there are obviously no excuses for) but I think there is a huge difference between someone at 18 and someone at 25. And the thing about permabans is that they tend to be permanent.

That said I miss Pumpsie. I don't really remember anything about him at this point but I liked seeing his avatar and he seemed like a good poster.
    I have Standing Room on ignore, because he obviously has continued to bait me. I have not engaged him since I put him on ignore today and I will not refer to him in my posts from this point on. I hope that helps, but I fully expect that his behavior will degenerate and he will be banned once again. He really can't be compared to any other TalkSox member, because he has never shown the slightest bit of good faith in his many incarnations.