Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Draft Signing Thread

Re: 2013 Draft Signing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    Certainly, I mean Dellin Betances I believe was a Vandy commit, but he ended up going to the Yanks.
    That's not really comparable, the Yankees threw $8 million at Brackman to get him to sign after they failed to sign Gerrit Cole. That's not happening under the new rules. I would be surprised if Sheffield signs, but the front office must think he has a chance of signing since they drafted him in the 13th round.

Wrong thread.

^Wrong thread brah
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    ^Wrong thread brah
    Already moved it :harhar:

Sheffield is going to be a damn hard sign. He's committed to Vandy, which is probably the best college in the nation when it comes to arms, they do an outrageous job developing there. Tyler Beede (currently there, drafted 21st overall last year), David Price, Mike Minor, Sonny Gray, the list goes on.

If Sheffield goes to Vandy he's got the potential to be a 1st round selection after his junior year.

I feel like without even thinking about signing Boldt/Burkamper and if any of the other signs (other than Stank) were under slot, those should all make it a little easier to sign Sheffield. I'm not saying there are great odds, but those little things add up.

Certainly, I mean Dellin Betances I believe was a Vandy commit, but he ended up going to the Yanks.
    Dellin Betances likely would have failed out of Vandy and he knew it. He fell because of the Vandy commit, but he got first round money
    Hal sucks

I sat next to him at a (Trenton) Thunder game and he said his dream was to play with the Knicks. I was trying to convince him to quit baseball and do so.

Quote Originally Posted by italstallianion View Post
    I feel like without even thinking about signing Boldt/Burkamper and if any of the other signs (other than Stank) were under slot, those should all make it a little easier to sign Sheffield. I'm not saying there are great odds, but those little things add up.
    If we sign Sheffield, it probably won't be until the July 12th deadline when we know exactly how much money we have left. For the time being, he's nothing more than a backup option for Denney.

According to SoxProspects, our 8th, 10th, 21st, and 24th round picks are going to sign, and our 29th and 32nd round picks won't.

@jantzenwitte Any idea where they may send you? Gotta find out which team to follow.

Jantzen Witte ‏@jantzenwitte 11 juni
    @klpound all I know is I leave for Florida on Thursday haha

Quote Originally Posted by Standing Room View Post
    If we sign Sheffield, it probably won't be until the July 12th deadline when we know exactly how much money we have left. For the time being, he's nothing more than a backup option for Denney.
    He cant be a backup option for Denney. If you lose Denney, you not only lose the player, but you lose the cash
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    He cant be a backup option for Denney. If you lose Denney, you not only lose the player, but you lose the cash
    Try to keep up here. The Red Sox are planning to sign most of their top 10 picks to underslot money, so they can use that money to give Denney an overslot bonus. If the Red Sox fail to sign Denney, they can reallocate those savings elsewhere - like Sheffield.

I have "inside information" that Speier will sign on Thursday.
    Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisba
    #RedSox agree w/19th-rder Gabe Speier on $200k. Biggest $ I’ve seen after 10th. Calif HS LHP, up to 93 & hard curve early in G. #mlbdraft

It sounds like Jalen Williams is really on the fence.

“My intentions right now are to attend college in the fall,” Williams said. “I’m still planning on attending Nicholls State in the fall to play football and baseball. If the Red Sox give me an opportunity that is too good for me to pass up, then I’ll take it. But right now at this moment, I still expect to be going to college.”

“I was kind of discouraged when I wasn’t chosen in rounds three through 10, because I was hearing that’s where I could go,” Williams said. “But I’m excited to be drafted by the Red Sox, because I hear that they have the best pitching program for their pitchers in the minors.”

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    He can be. Denney was not, is not going to sign for slot. You can take the money you'd save by not signing Denney and use it on Sheffield. Ball's price tag is going to play a major factor in if they can get both Denney and Sheffield though.

All-Star

That's not really comparable, the Yankees threw $8 million at Brackman to get him to sign after they failed to sign Gerrit Cole. That's not happening under the new rules. I would be surprised if Sheffield signs, but the front office must think he has a chance of signing since they drafted him in the 13th round.
    They drafted Brackman in 2007, then Cole in 2008.