Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garin Cecchini

3rd, 1st, LF... There's always a place for a dynamite bat.

Do we see Cecchini in 2014?

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    3rd, 1st, LF... There's always a place for a dynamite bat.
    if he can't generate enough power he may not make it at 1B. He rates below average defensively at third so theire's talk he may wind up in the OF. Depends how he develops over the next year I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    If he does it will be nothing more than a September call up.
    Depends how he handles AAA when he gets there (he should get there)

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDog View Post
    If he does it will be nothing more than a September call up.
    Depends how he handles AAA when he gets there (he should get there)
    Don't be so sure of that. If last year told us anything, it's that the Red Sox are being aggressive with their prospects and their promotions.

JBJ, Workman, & Webster all had little or no experience in AAA before getting called up last year. Middlebrooks only had a handful of at bats in Pawtucket before being called up in 2012.

JBJ spent 61 games in AA, hit .271/.373/.437 in 2012, started 2013 in the MLB, and essentially played the rest of the year in AAA.
    Cecchini played 66 games in AA last year, hit .296/.420/.404, and could very easily start out 2014 in Pawtucket, at which point, as Cherrington says, he's no longer a prospect as much as he is MLB depth. If the Sox don't sign Drew, and Middlebrooks gets off to a slow start while Cecchini starts out white hot, I can definitely see the Sox giving Cecchini the call.

Not to mention, as of right now, the Sox IF of Nap, Pedey, Bogaerts, WMB is all RHH. Cecchini is a LHH, which plays well there.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    He is on the 40 roster, there is a chance if he own AA/AAA in the first half.

I could easily see Carp being moved in a deal to clear space and shore up an area of need, and Cecchini coming up to fill the same role, dependent on Cecchini doing to AAA what I expect him to do..
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Why deal Carp when he's your only LHH infielder of note?
    Hal sucks

Because dealing Carp/Nava and getting Gregor Blanco is Dojji's new binky.
    We miss you Mike.

I heard Che Hsuan Lin might be available, lol
    Hal sucks

He just signed with someone (Dodgers i think). Bummer.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I could easily see Carp being moved in a deal to clear space and shore up an area of need, and Cecchini coming up to fill the same role, dependent on Cecchini doing to AAA what I expect him to do..
    If the Sox bring up Cecchini they will use him like they did Bogaerts in 2013. The more he shows that he is ready for more playing time the more he will get. A lot also depends on what WMB does. If he gets off to a good start there is no reason to rush Cecchini, but a slow start by WMB might mean we see him earlier. I think Cecchini is going to be a keeper.

I love how quickly people have turned on WMB because of essentially a bad half-season. Less than a season ago, all of this praise and "i think he's a keeper" comments were directed at WMB. A cautionary tale of the struggles young players are bound to have when adjusting to the show, with certain notable exceptions.
    We miss you Mike.

I haven't turned on WMB. I'm just nervous about his ability to maintain a strong OBP number, which in my mind is just as important as raw power if not more so.

We're talking about a kid here who has never had a minor league season or fraction of a season with an OBP of under .390. His season OBP last year between A_ and AA was .443. The AA portion of that was a mere .420. career .417. These are ridiculous numbers, well above anyone else we've seen come through in a very long time, including much lauded prospects like Pedey (.392 career OBP in the minors), Ellsbury (.390), Lowrie (.381) and JBJ (.404). Of those 4, 3 are already producing at high levels for their posiitions in the big leagues and we're banking very heavily on the fourth figuring it out -- not without reason. Guys with elite OBP numbers tend to be able to get on base at an above average level in the big leagues. It's not perfect, but it's a solid indicator of potential in the most important offensive area -- consistency.

The only recent guy to beat Cecchini's minor league OBP numbers in our system? One Kevin Youkilis. Youk managed a jawdropping .442 career minor league OBP. Frankly except for Cecchini's obvious speed element, which shows up in triples and SB's Youk never achieved, the two are otherwise pretty comparable. And Youk spent 3 years as one of the best pure hitters in the entire majors before his body wore out on him.

Given the choice between a lefthanded Youk type with average or better speed, and an all or nothing swinger with several holes in his plate approach, I'll go with the consistent producer, even if what he produces is usually singles and doubles rather than homers. From what I've read about him I think the power well come in, and even if it doesn't he'll have a place at the top of someone's batting order.
    Last edited by Dojji; 12-27-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I haven't turned on WMB. I'm just nervous about his ability to maintain a strong OBP number, which in my mind is just as important as raw power if not more so.

We're talking about a kid here who has never had a minor league season or fraction of a season with an OBP of under .390. His season OBP last year between A_ and AA was .443. The AA portion of that was a mere .420. career .417. These are ridiculous numbers, well above anyone else we've seen come through in a very long time, including much lauded prospects like Pedey (.392 career OBP in the minors), Ellsbury (.390), Lowrie (.381) and JBJ (.404). Of those 4, 3 are already producing at high levels for their posiitions in the big leagues and we're banking very heavily on the fourth figuring it out -- not without reason. Guys with elite OBP numbers tend to be able to get on base at an above average level in the big leagues. It's not perfect, but it's a solid indicator of potential in the most important offensive area -- consistency.

The only recent guy to beat Cecchini's minor league OBP numbers in our system? One Kevin Youkilis. Youk managed a jawdropping .442 career minor league OBP. Frankly except for Cecchini's obvious speed element, which shows up in triples and SB's Youk never achieved, the two are otherwise pretty comparable. And Youk spent 3 years as one of the best pure hitters in the entire majors before his body wore out on him.

Given the choice between a lefthanded Youk type with average or better speed, and an all or nothing swinger with several holes in his plate approach, I'll go with the consistent producer, even if what he produces is usually singles and doubles rather than homers. From what I've read about him I think the power well come in, and even if it doesn't he'll have a place at the top of someone's batting order.
    And a legitimate 30 HR guy will have some trade value despite a low OBP.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Cecchini hasn't had a single MLB plate appearance. Hold off on the accolades just a wee bit.
    We miss you Mike.