Register now to remove this ad

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1260

Thread: 10/28 World Series Game 5 @ St Louis

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Salty shouldn't have thrown that ball. And he had a key misplay the game before as well. And he has struck out 19 times in 35 plate appearances in the postseason.

He had a very good season. But he's been hurting us in the postseason. Ross is clearly the right choice.
    And frankly this is the way Salty has thrown all season long. This is no surprise, especially when Salty is throwing in the general direction of 3rd. The surprise if any is that he continues to throw on very short odds that he is going to get the runner even with a perfect throw. At this point he must know full well that this is not his strong suit but he is by God throwin' it come hell or high water. Seems to me that the only way to stop him from throwing it is to sit his rear end on the pine.

What is Salty doing that is so terrific anyway at this point? He could not hit his way out of a paper bag at present.

Quote Originally Posted by marklmw View Post
    I believe that there were 2 jerk-offs on this board who picked the Cards while pretending to be Sox fans.
    I'll never understand the mindset of a portion of the Red Sox fanbase. Embarassing. I would never bet on the Red Sox, period. But if I did, I wouldn't admit it.

My kid is an elitist, he was born on December 26th 2003 and sat on my lap to watch the Sox win their first World Series in (as if it hasn't been beaten to death) 86 years at the ripe old age of 10 months. He saw them do it again three years later and will God willingly see it yet again in the next few days all before he is ten years old.

God bless all those poor bastard Sox fans that lived between 1918 and 2004 and carried that heavy torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    My kid is an elitist, he was born on December 26th 2003 and sat on my lap to watch the Sox win their first World Series in (as if it hasn't been beaten to death) 86 years at the ripe old age of 10 months. He saw them do it again three years later and will God willingly see it yet again in the next few days all before he is ten years old.

God bless all those poor bastard Sox fans that lived between 1918 and 2004 and carried that heavy torch.
    I was just saying this to 8-year-old Beaneater Jr. He was in the oven in 2004 and too young to remember 2007. He's got a solid chance of having his 2nd Sox championship (and the first one he'll remember) before he turns 9. He was trying to roll over in his mind that there was a span of time equal to the current lifespan of his great-grandfather where the Sox won zilch. It's freaky.

Dang, I hope they win tonight. I think they win Game 7 if it comes to that -- there will just be too much Lester and Doubront (did I seriously just say that?) available out of the 'pen. But I need a full night's sleep sometime...

Quote Originally Posted by Navafan29 View Post
    Cmon put Salty in game 6. Lackey always does better when Salty is catching.
    Lackey has a lower ERA with Ross than with Salty. Don't let facts get in the way of a good argument though.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Lackey has a lower ERA with Ross than with Salty. Don't let facts get in the way of a good argument though.
    Not to mention, Salty is 0-6 with 4 K's (he does have 2 BB's). I know Ross has had his fair share of K's as well with 6 in 3 games, but he had a huge hit in game 5. He is hitting .250 in three games. Ross is the better defensive catcher. When he is hitting better than Salty (even with a small sample size), it is almost a no brainer to start him over Salty, because offense is the only reason you want Salty in the game over Ross.

Game 4 and Game 5 we have came out with W's. Ross started in all three of the wins. You have to play the guy who is getting the job done.

Legend
    Ross has played better than Salty the last couple of games ... we are down to a 2 game season (tops) ... this does not impact the decision to bring Salty back one way or the other (nor should it - and this applies to Middlebrooks as well). But there is a championship to win - the long term stuff we discuss ad nauseam goes out the window here.

I didn't even wanna mention the cERA thing because i don't believe in the stat in general. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know Ross is the better defender in every possible way.
    We miss you Mike.

One other note on Ross: in his last 8 postseason games (7 starts), going back to last year's play-in game with Atlanta, he has 3 multi-hit games, 4 extra-base hits and a .985 OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    I didn't even wanna mention the cERA thing because i don't believe in the stat in general. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know Ross is the better defender in every possible way.
    I only said that because it's the polar opposite of his assumption that Lackey " always does better" with Salty.

Clearly, that's not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I only said that because it's the polar opposite of his assumption that Lackey " always does better" with Salty.

Clearly, that's not the case.
    Agreed.
    We miss you Mike.

Legend
    The best thing they can do right now is to tune out the media and stay focussed on winning. It ain't over yet.

Legend
    What to do with Wacha the 2nd time around will be an interesting question ... to me, I could see an adjustment to the gameplan they used against David Price in Game 2 of the Tampa Series, dispense with the "deep count" approach and sit dead red for hittable fastballs, first pitch or otherwise. No reason for them to look for his curve - it's a hanger and he doesn't like throwing it. That reduces it to a two pitch concept.

I was actually thinking the same thing. As explosive as Wacha's fastball is, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to hit it with some modicum of success if they're sitting dead red on it.
    We miss you Mike.

Love it! Thanks for the touch up!
    "All literary men are Red Sox fans - to be a Yankee fan in a literate society is to endanger your life."

- John Cheever