Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 264 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Roster Projections

Dojji, no one hates Ellsbury, stop fabricating silly ideas. People don't want the Sox to overpay for him, which is an entirely different deal. Pretty much everyone on this board has mentioned that they would gladly take JE back if he were to sign for market price, instead of the Boras premium. Stop making shit up.

As for Buchholz, he is indeed very frail, but your eternal vendetta against him (and pretty much any other homegrown player with actual talent except your binkies, for reasons impossible to comprehend) is very misguided. Part of the health issues he's had the last two years have very much to do with the medical staff's complete and utter incompetence. That said, he does have a lot to prove.
    We miss you Mike.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wyo-sox View Post
    I've heard KC will look to trade Billy Butler. Would you rather sign Nap again or work out a trade for Butler? Of course I realize it depends on what KC would ask for...... but if it was a smart trade, I think I'd rather have Butler at first base.
    I would like Butler for sure. of course it all depends on what the Sox need to give up to get him. I rather doubt that Sox will win a draft pick by offering Naps a QO but if they did and then sign Butler it would be a big win.

Major Leaguer
    Ellsbury will still be here on opening day.

It'd be awesome if he was, but it looks like Seattle is ready and willing to break the bank for him.
    We miss you Mike.

Deity
    Buch may need somebody with some real skills dealing with his kinds of issues to help him out. He tried to add pounds one year I guess in an effort to build himself up a bit and the added weight was more than his bone structure could support. At least that is all I could glen from the published reporting. So that backfired on him. Whatever he tries next..it has to be with the assistance of somebody that really knows what he is doing. He is just too much of a talent to just end up a bundle of unfulfilled promises. He did a terrific job battling through those four innings in Game 5. I hope he has taken a lot of encouragement from that.

Banned
    Buch is an awesome pitcher ... he knows how to change speeds and keep hitters off balance. Do not give up on the lad.

Ells is definitely worth it, and so is Nap. One reason I say that is because they are the only two player shirts I have right now.
    Anyway, I do think Drew gets the boot eventually. Not necessarily next season, but maybe 2015. Xander needs to prove himself over the course of a long season before I'd be willing to make him the next SS or 3B. As for OF, I hope they all return. I really do. I love Gomes, can't imagine the team without Nava or Ells, and Vic is just too valuable and dangerous. Same with Nap. Yes he K's a lot, but it's worth having him around.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

I think, and hope, that Salty and Napoli will be back in 2014.

I think we bring Napoli back on a deal that will end up being close to what the original offer was. I'd say 2/28, maybe an option for another year.

Salty, I'd honestly have no problem giving 3/4 years. The money, I'm not sure. But he's just had a breakout year at an age when catchers start coming into their own, the pitchers love him and he's a team leader, and we don't have an immediate replacement ready to go.

I make the QO to Ells and Drew but I don't expect either to be back. I'd go 5/100 on Jacoby at the most and I doubt that gets it done.

If the FO doubts that WMB can stick, I'd be open to locking up Drew on a multi year deal and shifting X to third. Will did look improved during his call up later in the year after we sent him back to AAA.

And I'm not against shopping a couple of the back of the rotation arms. see what you can get in terms of talent/salary relief for Peavy and Dempster then go from there.

Single A
    Quote Originally Posted by marklmw View Post
    Buch is an awesome pitcher ... he knows how to change speeds and keep hitters off balance. Do not give up on the lad.
    Agree. Even more, if we waited for Lackey and it worked, why don't doing the same with Buccholz?

I would deal Lavarnway. Once Ross is done, we have Butler ready to go. There's also no way we can have Xander, WMB, and Cecchini coexist on the left side. Seeing Will as the bench player there in the coming years, assuming XB and Cecchini play as we expect them to. I don't want to see a trade for Will, but there may not be room for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Banned
    Sign Tanaka to improve the team. We talk a lot about positional players but hardly discuss our most pressing need which is upgrading our starting rotation regardless of who is signed for next season. Of course the Sox need to build a club for the long drawn-out regular season but then what ... you also need to have a club that can compete in the post season. It is no coincidence that Detroit and St. Louis went deep into the playoffs with very good SP. Buchholz gave an honest effort in the play-offs ... Lester A+ and Lackey B+ gave great performances ... Hoji and others in the bullpen were superb. What if Buchholz did not return this season? Boston was over matched by the SP's of the other teams. If it were not for career best performances by Lester and Lackey along with some timely hitting we would not have won the WS. We did I know but take away the Ortiz Slam and maybe we are out of it. Face it our players were getting humongous hits after having no success in the 10 to 15 previous AB's. Sign Tanaka!

A couple things. Boras wanted $130 mil over 7 yrs after 2011. He subsequently wa rebuffed and looked like a moron after 2012. But in 2013, he produced to a 5.8 WAR and that amount Boras wanted might be a starting point now. Like it or not, Ells has been the catalyst for 2 titles in Boston and showed he was healthy in 2013. He's gonna get big money as the second most attractive offensive option on the marke after Cano. I think the sox would be wise to pass on him. JBJ has the tools to be good and he's ready. No time like the present. If he flops, you have another plus defensive CFer in RF.

Napoli isn't going to ask for a discounted rate from Boston. He got $13 mil a yr then got reduced to 1 yr and stayed healthy. He posted a 3.9 WAR and stayed very healthy all season. He's gonna get paid. I expect the sox to retain him, though, but it might be on the order of a 3 yr $40-45 mil deal.

Salty was one of the best offensive catchers in baseball, but he benefitted from the great lineup around him. He's a minus defender who couldn't be trusted in the end. You have Lavarnway, Ross, and a few coming down the pipe (Swihart to name one) who make Salty expendable. He's going to be someone's pricy mistake, don't make it Boston's. I have a feeling the sox lose Ells, Drew and Salty. The retain Napoli. And in the shocker of the offseason, they deal Lester for a Shields-esque haul

And I will be blown away if the Yankees don't get Tanaka. He might have an $80 mil posting bid, and since it doesn't count towards the lux tax and saves them on paying some revenue sharing, I doubt they don't pay the piper. I bet DiceK ruined the possibility of the sox going balls out on another posted Japanese player

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    A couple things. Boras wanted $130 mil over 7 yrs after 2011. He subsequently wa rebuffed and looked like a moron after 2012. But in 2013, he produced to a 5.8 WAR and that amount Boras wanted might be a starting point now. Like it or not, Ells has been the catalyst for 2 titles in Boston and showed he was healthy in 2013. He's gonna get big money as the second most attractive offensive option on the marke after Cano. I think the sox would be wise to pass on him. JBJ has the tools to be good and he's ready. No time like the present. If he flops, you have another plus defensive CFer in RF.

Napoli isn't going to ask for a discounted rate from Boston. He got $13 mil a yr then got reduced to 1 yr and stayed healthy. He posted a 3.9 WAR and stayed very healthy all season. He's gonna get paid. I expect the sox to retain him, though, but it might be on the order of a 3 yr $40-45 mil deal.

Salty was one of the best offensive catchers in baseball, but he benefitted from the great lineup around him. He's a minus defender who couldn't be trusted in the end. You have Lavarnway, Ross, and a few coming down the pipe (Swihart to name one) who make Salty expendable. He's going to be someone's pricy mistake, don't make it Boston's. I have a feeling the sox lose Ells, Drew and Salty. The retain Napoli. And in the shocker of the offseason, they deal Lester for a Shields-esque haul
    I agree with you about Ellsbury, Salty but not Napoli. Tell me what has changed with Napoli's health now that the season is over. Oh, I forget .... it got worse with the foot issue. Napoli gave the Sox pretty much what they expected ... maybe not as many K's but all in all he delivered what his career stats says he delivers. Napoli is not going to get $45M / 3 guaranteed money from Boston. Another poster suggested Butler from KC as an option to Napoli. I could be all wet on this and often I am but I am not seeing this logic.

Legend
    Tanaka could be a tough bid - there is some cross racial comparison obviously with Darvish ... and the posting fee could be nuts. But by many scouting accounts, he is more Kuroda than Darvish. Kuroda is a damn good pitcher, but Yu Darvish is another level ... and I would not want to post $50M for Hiroki Kuroda. Matsuzaka has #1 caliber stuff, but his approach was generally awful ... but the bid made sense.

Salty is a good offensive catcher, and has worked to improve to average level behind the plate. Blocking is pretty good, throwing not so much. His big weakness is that he punts away 1/3 of his at-bats by pretending he is a right handed hitter. He fixed that and he could be very good. As is, he managed to be a 3-win player which is a lot better than I expected. McCann (for one) has a longer track record, but an older body and contract demands that might force you to picture him as a DH in 2-3 years - frankly the FA investment between him and Salty is not at all a slam dunk. Lavarnway has a history of a DH/1B who is trying to catch for positional value - Mike Napoli of old basically. I think there is a very strong chance he just can't hack it as a full time catcher, and he has (in his tours, usual sample caveats apply) shown evidence that the job might be too big for him. (catching and hitting at the same time)