Register now to remove this ad

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: 2013 Yankee Hot Stove Thread

Brett Gardner is still literally the poor man's Ellsbury lol Although 52M isn't too poor. Good for him. He probably was looking at a Bourn type deal on the open market imo.

and Bourne got 4 yrs $48 mil. Not too shabby
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by rjortiz View Post
    He's better in LF, and they have no young talent to take that position away from Gardner anyway.

I like it. It's a good contract.
    We do have the young talent in the OF that should be ready come 2015. Mason Williams, Slade Heathcott, Tyler Austin, and Ramon Flores will all be at AA or higher this yr. One of them would be ready. But this was a value signing. He has a solid OBP and turns walks into doubles rather well with his speed. He plays elite defense in LF and can play a good CF as well. You let him get to the open market after 2014 and you run the risk that his value skyrockets due to a solid season. Let's say he hits .290/.370/.430 with 50 steals and elite D, and all of a sudden, you're talking about a guy getting $15-$18 mil a yr for 5 yrs. What I also like is that it is a tradeable deal. Lets say Mason Williams blossoms in 2014 and starts in RF in 2015 and knocks the cover off the ball. Well, we could move Gardner and bring up one of the other kids at that point or sign another premier FA and move Gardy for some other need. He's been a full time starter for 4 yrs now. He missed most of 2012 due to a wrist issue. But in the 3 seasons he played full time, he's racked up 14.9WAR.
    Hal sucks

Across town, the*Yankees are keeping tabs on reliever Joel Hanrahan after inking another rehabbing former closer in Andrew Bailey, reports Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. As Martino explains, interest in arms like Bailey and Hanrahan shows that the club has some concern with its pen depth.
    Boy, the Yankees have not finished with their Dumpster diving. They are desperately throwing it against the wall and hoping that some of it sticks.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

When it comes to the pen, yes we are. Hanrahan should be ready come mid year, so he makes the most sense. Bailey isn't likely to contribute at all, with a projected timetable of September. They got him for the 2015 option
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Boy, the Yankees have not finished with their Dumpster diving. They are desperately throwing it against the wall and hoping that some of it sticks.
    The Yankees entire approach to this offseason seems a little slapdash to me.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

As much as I would like to agree that is is pleasant to see the Yankees "dumpster diving", I think that what they have done in signing Bailey and possibly Hanrahan is smart baseball. Pitching depth is a very good thing and hard to establish and to maintain. To the Yankees credit, they got or will get these guys on the cheap. Not a premium price tag as with the Sox. If they get anything out of these guys it will be more than the Sox ever derived from them.

I honestly think Cashman is leaning a little too hard on the Yankees minor league system in terms of the pen. Would have loved to see an under the radar 1 yr signing of someone who is healthy, but so be it. There is a TON of talent in the pen in SWB and in NY, but no track record. You're gonna see Robertson closing with probably Thornton and Betances setting up. Claiborne will be in there somewhere. Who knows the rest, but they've all got good, strong arms. It remains to be seen if they can do it on the fly
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The Yankees entire approach to this offseason seems a little slapdash to me.
    It looks a little like that to me too, but the Yankees are crazy like foxes and they seem to always run into a plethora of luck. It would be nice to see all this fall flat on their kissers. Come to think of it, though, we're still a little slapdash ourselves. I still think Cherington is fixated on bringing Drew back to Boston, a colossal mistake in my opinion and a way to take Yankee fan Boras' chestnuts out of the fire. For a filthy rat who sent Damon, Ellsbury and Teixiera to the Yankees and stuck it to us, I really want this time to really stick it to him. That, plus the fact that we don't need Drew and I don't like that greedy bastard.

Fred why do you believe Cherington is fixated on bringing back Drew? You are the only mention of this thinking that I have heard or read.

I have said this many times, I would like to see Drew back with the Sox. And, I don't see it happening.

Sounds like we're shopping a catcher for an infielder or reliever. Potential targets are Keppinger or Beckham
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Fred why do you believe Cherington is fixated on bringing back Drew? You are the only mention of this thinking that I have heard or read.

I have said this many times, I would like to see Drew back with the Sox. And, I don't see it happening.
    Spud----Fixated is the right word as it applies to me in this case and the reason I feel they (Ben and John) are fixated on Drew is that they have yet to say they are moving on, that Drew is no longer in their plans and because they still say they would consider him if he wanted to come back. THAT"S WHY!!!!!!!! Look, the Mets would rather go with perhaps the worst all around returning shortstop around than sign Drew, the Cardinals choose a druggie over him and up to now the Yankees have shown no interest. Who else is there but us? I keep hoping to hear that he has signed with some other team but the longer this goes on the more I am convinced that Boras will once again come to the Red Sox to get his chestnuts out of the fire just as he did back in late 2008 when he guessed wrong with Varitek who had no offers at all. We took back an aging and rapidly declining player twice in three years. I don't want to see us help Yankee fan Boras in any way. It is about time he and his greedy client sucked some wind. Besides, we don't need Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Spud----Fixated is the right word as it applies to me in this case and the reason I feel they (Ben and John) are fixated on Drew is that they have yet to say they are moving on, that Drew is no longer in their plans and because they still say they would consider him if he wanted to come back. THAT"S WHY!!!!!!!! Look, the Mets would rather go with perhaps the worst all around returning shortstop around than sign Drew, the Cardinals choose a druggie over him and up to now the Yankees have shown no interest. Who else is there but us? I keep hoping to hear that he has signed with some other team but the longer this goes on the more I am convinced that Boras will once again come to the Red Sox to get his chestnuts out of the fire just as he did back in late 2008 when he guessed wrong with Varitek who had no offers at all. We took back an aging and rapidly declining player twice in three years. I don't want to see us help Yankee fan Boras in any way. It is about time he and his greedy client sucked some wind. Besides, we don't need Drew.
    even despite Boras' clown act, i'm still surprised it's taken this long...tho i still can't help but think he's going to wind up across town with the Amazins'....i mean he's not Ernie Banks, but is still light years
    a better two way player than Tejada is ever going to be...
    he's not going to Michigan...he's going to Cooperstown...

We could use Drew, but he isn't all he's cracked up to be. He had a solid, albeit unspectacular season last yr and he wants to be paid like a star. I'd do a 1 yr deal with a second year option and that's about it. Boras read the market wrong on this one. The QO's are limiting a lot of players who aren't elite
    Hal sucks

Speculation that the Yankees are waiting for the QO clock to end on Drew and they'll place an offer. Once the draft is completed in June, Drew will no longer be tied to pick compensation and will be eligible to sign.
    Hal sucks