Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Predictions for Robinson Cano ... Team & Terms of Contract.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxSport View Post
    Yanks will re-sign him for whatever it takes. Boras will make sure they pay thru the nose.
    Boras does not represent Cano

Legend
    I heard Cano had dinner with the Mets reps, and his agent had to pay the bill because the restaurant wouldn't take the Mets credit card. LOL.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Boras does not represent Cano
    Ha. That's Cano's first mistake. Only Boras can get the kind of money he wants. His agents are novices.

Jay-Z(the Rapper) is his agent. I say 8yrs, $210m

Ha. That's Cano's first mistake. Only Boras can get the kind of money he wants. His agents are novices.
    Please, Boras has failed many times to get what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    I don't see him going for any less than 220.

He's too good of a player, and he is about as healthy as they come. He has averaged above 160 games a year. In the last four years, he has been #3, #6, #4 and #5 for the MVP. Several All-star nominations, several gold gloves-- at a premium position. Plenty of playoff experience. Being a Yankee makes him much more famous and marketable than smaller market players. His L/R splits aren't any concern.

I am usually pretty adamant about avoiding long term deals, but he's the kind of guy you want to dish one out for. After year 5, the contract will hurt like a bitch, but it is what it is.
    Even though I agree with most of this, I wonder if the time will come when baseball owners say 'no more 200 million contracts'. There are only 4 of them to date, and they aren't pretty:

A-Rod - certain disaster
    Pujols - almost certain disaster
    Fielder - almost certain disaster
    Votto - potential disaster

Yankees, 1/40. Jay Z is an innovator, after all.

Just kidding, but that would be cool.

New Jersey Devils, 4/400.

Yanks will re-sign him for whatever it takes. Boras will make sure they pay thru the nose.
    You do know Boras isn't his agent anymore, right?

IIRC, the Yankees offered 7yrs and $175 mil or so. $25 mil a year is probably appropriate for him. I highly, highly doubt any team is going to beat that. If they do, they can have him. I think we have learned since signing Giambi and going for the big time, expensive, big name players that you don't win titles that way. We had a core team from 95-01 that didn't have one gigantic mercenary name on it sans Clemens. We go out and get Mussina and Giambi, and all of a sudden, we cannot win the big games. We only made it worse when we added ARod and Sheff, etc. We have won 1 title since 2000 and have bought umpteen big time players in the process, many of whom had HOF credentials. What Cashman has been trying to do is set a value for certain players and find the few that he thinks he needs to have regardless of cost. And he needs Hal to stay the fuck out of it. If he gets that, then I think we get Cano at a reasonable rate. If Hal steps in, we get another mega contract that we regret in 3 years time
    Hal sucks

I was saying Dodgers but they would almost be a surprise now.

My reality pick is the Yanks for 7/175M 5M signing bonus, 18M club options for years 8-10( 8m buy outs each year), then the normal bonus's.

My dark horse pick is the Nats 8/225M, 2 25M option years.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You do know Boras isn't his agent anymore, right?

IIRC, the Yankees offered 7yrs and $175 mil or so. $25 mil a year is probably appropriate for him. I highly, highly doubt any team is going to beat that. If they do, they can have him. I think we have learned since signing Giambi and going for the big time, expensive, big name players that you don't win titles that way. We had a core team from 95-01 that didn't have one gigantic mercenary name on it sans Clemens. We go out and get Mussina and Giambi, and all of a sudden, we cannot win the big games. We only made it worse when we added ARod and Sheff, etc. We have won 1 title since 2000 and have bought umpteen big time players in the process, many of whom had HOF credentials. What Cashman has been trying to do is set a value for certain players and find the few that he thinks he needs to have regardless of cost. And he needs Hal to stay the fuck out of it. If he gets that, then I think we get Cano at a reasonable rate. If Hal steps in, we get another mega contract that we regret in 3 years time
    I can't remember when the $pankees best player took his bat and gloves and went to play with someone else. It hasn't happened in my life time. A lineup without Cano looks a lot more pitchable though.