Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees to sign McCann

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Barring some unforeseen circumstances the deal will get done. I told anyone who would listen that the Yankees would be going on a spending spree this winter, the luxury tax be damned. Unless they got word that A-Fraud is going to be deemed hors de combat for 2014 or that maybe they might even lose Cano, this is just another move by your club to try and do an end run around the Red Sox as you tried to do in the off seasons of 2004 and 2007 when we won those WS. The Yankees will pay the tax and pay through the nose to try and buy themselves another title. It's the way they operate. They can't develop talent worth shit anymore so this is their out. Money talks, BS walks.
    Amen! That luxury tax pledge was a bunch of BS! I thought the $pankees had high minor league catching prospects. I guess that too was a bunch of BS. I never saw a team that so over rated their prospects. 5/85 to a 30 year old catcher who is coming off a season in which he was hurt. If healthy it is a huge upgrade at the catcher position. If last years injury is the start of a catcher breaking down then this will be another contract that the $panks will be wishing they didn't have in a couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I predicted 5 and 90. This isn't really a surprise. This is what was predicted for him a long time ago. Here is the deal. He just turned 30, so he isn't old. It's a 5 yr deal, which will complete his year 34 season. If he lives up to expectations, he'll get another year. If he doesn't, then its a 5 year deal. He's left handed. He is a good defender. He has a lot of power. Put him in YS and he'll hit 30 bombs. But put him behind the dish for us and we'll see some improvements on the mound and wont have to live with a sub .600OPS in the lineup. This is big.
    Yes it is big Jacko and all honest Red Sox fans will concede that. However, I think this is just the beginning to the Yankees spending spree. They are going to be more than willing to eat a lot of money in the LT to get back up to snuff. McCann has power, is a good catcher and calls a good game. This is a start to get the Yankees right back in the thick of things, especially if they resign Cano and another solid pitcher.

90 million for a guy who averaged 110 games , a 2.2 fWar, and a .740 OPS over the last two years on a team that has no room for him at DH, or 1B?

I smell desperation.

Banned
    Is Peralta going to the Cards?

Banned
    Yankees overpaid for McCann ... the only thing that might save the deal is the House that Steinbrener built.

The McCann Contract 5-years $85M. WOW.

Are the Yankees crazy? $17 million per year to a catcher? And a full no trade clause?

The Yankees can have him! I wouldn't want to touch McCann for anything near that money, and I'm glad the Sox didn't.

Although it's making me wish they made a qualifying offer to Saltalamacchia, $14M for 1 season of Salty or a draft pick would be looking like a steal right now.

3-years $26M to Carlos Ruiz. 5-years $85M to McCann.

I'm predicting Salty goes to a new team for 3-years $45M or 4-years $50M.

I'd consider it a small victory for the Sox if they could bring him back for 3/30, but I don't see that happening in this market.
    the new black

Banned
    IMO .... I doubt that the Sox even want to sign Salty at 3/30. Salty sucks at receiving the ball ... he is the only MLB catcher that turns strikes into balls. Lester realizes this so he asked for Ross to catch for him. When Salty throws the ball it tales away ... left to right .... just terrible. I do not want him back and I am hoping that management feels the same. Hell, the FO would not even give him a QO cause that did not want for him to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    90 million for a guy who averaged 110 games , a 2.2 fWar, and a .740 OPS over the last two years on a team that has no room for him at DH, or 1B?

I smell desperation.
    Good work stopping your "analysis" with his injury riddled year of 2012.
    Hal sucks

Banned
    I do not know Jacko ... I think the Yankees are getting to old. They need to get a lot younger. Don't they have anything on the Farm?

All-Star
    I fucking hope they get Tanaka. Go balls to the wall Cash! LOL, this was all part of the plan. We needed stability at the catcher position. We had it with Posada and then Martin. This past yr, we had nothing. There is no coincidence that the only two seasons we haven't made the playoffs this century, we had no stability at catcher (2008 Posada was hurt).
    No don't go balls to the walls, but yeah I agree get Tanaka. We need him more than any player this off season. Even with the uncertainty.

Good work stopping your "analysis" with his injury riddled year of 2012.
    If you have to look back three years to find a great year, spending 90 million on the player seems silly. As a catcher who will be blocked at 1B and DH by Tex and Arod, he's not going to suddenly get healthier.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post

I smell desperation.
    Desperation is a very fair assessment.

Lol, if you need to rely on a single season to bash a move, them it's probably not accurate. They guy had a .799 OPS last yr. Prior to 2012, he was an annual .800+OPS guy. His 2012 was injury riddled. He started 2013 late and ran out of gas likely due to not having an offseason healthy. We'll see what happens now, but putting him behind the dish and in our stadium is gonna be sweet.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by marklmw View Post
    I do not know Jacko ... I think the Yankees are getting to old. They need to get a lot younger. Don't they have anything on the Farm?
    the Yankees have a solid farm system. Nothing too special though. This year they had a lot of injuries and players didn't take any steps forward.

Also, tex has 3 yrs left. By the time he's moved on, McCann might be ready for 1b. He's still a great defender