Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Sox add Mujica

Lots of relievers are struggling early in the season. I believe Mujica pitched 6.1 innings this spring. I am not sure that was enough to prepare for the season.
    "As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome." - Noam Chomsky

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Lots of relievers are struggling early in the season. I believe Mujica pitched 6.1 innings this spring. I am not sure that was enough to prepare for the season.
    I was thinking the same. Buchholz, too. Some of these guys don't appear to be ready yet, and I wonder if the management was a bit too lax with the regulars in ST--playing a lot of minor leaguers too much--especially early. And especially the pitching. Don't the minor leaguers have their own ST games? I don't know how that works, since the media doesn't seem to cover the minor league teams in ST. No reason why the minor leaguers can't have their own ST games--some nearby?, so the management can watch them too.

The team just won a championship, and there is a natural tendency to relax a bit. The Red Sox always seem to start slowly, which maybe is due to their stressing of minor league players in early ST.

Having said that, the team has looked pretty good so far, except for a couple of bad outings by Mujica and Buchholz, which were unexpected. These guys had pitched well in ST--but we know that ST can be a mirage. You got to be pleased with most of the rest of the guys--Sizemore, JBJ, Middlebrooks, X, Nap, Pedey, etc. Lackey and Lester have looked great. Peavy, OK. Doubront holding his own. Koji unhittable again.This still looks like it could be a better team to me than last year.
    Last edited by SoxSport; 04-06-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Overreacting to 1 game meltdown by Mujica?

The bullpen is excellent. Taz/Koji will anchor it. Capuano already look like a win win signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Overreacting to 1 game meltdown by Mujica?

The bullpen is excellent. Taz/Koji will anchor it. Capuano already look like a win win signing.
    I'm not overreacting at all. I am just explaining why Mujica, an all-star reliever last year, had a bad outing. I do not believe 6 1/3 is a sufficient amount of innings to get ready.
    "As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome." - Noam Chomsky

Deity
    Our bullpen will be a strenght once these guys start piling up innings

If your bullpen is "piling up innings" then you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury View Post
    If your bullpen is "piling up innings" then you're doing it wrong.
    I guess that depends on your definition of piling up innings.

The Cards got rid of the Chief (as we called him) for a reason...he sucked. Set up man, closer, what's the difference? When a reliever comes in it's the FIRST INNING for him! And after the league got a good look at him he was pounded!

Good luck with him. Especially after mid season.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    The Cards got rid of the Chief (as we called him) for a reason...he sucked. Set up man, closer, what's the difference? When a reliever comes in it's the FIRST INNING for him! And after the league got a good look at him he was pounded!

All it cost was money - relievers are like disposable diapers. The Cards have changed closers like women change shoes and it has not impacted them. Bottom line, if the starters are holding their end up, this is a nonissue.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post

Hey Carter who is that in your avatar? Bruno San Martino?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Hey Carter who is that in your avatar? Bruno San Martino?
    Yes. He's my look-alike. (Sammartino)

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    Our bullpen will be a strenght once these guys start piling up innings
    Mujica has looked better the last couple of appearances. Badenhop is a different story. I would rather see Workman. For the most part the bullpen has been really good.

Legend
    Rosenthal has about 4 or 5 saves this year for the Cards, but he seems to give up a run every time he pitches. It just shows how saves are stats for agents and fantasy. We'll see how long the Cards will tolerate that.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    Mujica has looked better the last couple of appearances. Badenhop is a different story. I would rather see Workman. For the most part the bullpen has been really good.
    The bullpen has been just fine - no real need to get too fired up about the 5th and 6th inning guys sucking (if they do). Every team's is generally not good - and it is more of an indictment of the starters anyway.

Workman is most likely going to take Buchholz' spot in the rotation should his shit continue
    Hal sucks