Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Prospect Mega Thread

Legend
    I think in 2011 the teams were also figuring out how to portfolio manage in the new slotting system, the balance of easy signs with risky upside. Merrero had an awful senior year but a terrific junior year. He went to a program with a really strong history of producing pros - including of course the Sun Devils' former undersized shortstop. I think they saw some projection, or at least a quick path to the bigs - they got neither. It's ok - 24th pick has a fairly low ROI to begin with.

The draft SEEMS like a roll of the dice, and in baseball the "sure thing rate" is lower than other sports. But the top of the draft is still a very good predictor of pro success. Note how Tampa's system took off as they drafted high year after year, and the rankings have slipped as guys have graduated as well as they have stopped picking at #1.

Legend
    I think in 2011 the teams were also figuring out how to portfolio manage in the new slotting system, the balance of easy signs with risky upside. Merrero had an awful senior year but a terrific junior year. He went to a program with a really strong history of producing pros - including of course the Sun Devils' former undersized shortstop. I think they saw some projection, or at least a quick path to the bigs - they got neither. It's ok - 24th pick has a fairly low ROI to begin with.

The draft SEEMS like a roll of the dice, and in baseball the "sure thing rate" is lower than other sports. But the top of the draft is still a very good predictor of pro success. Note how Tampa's system took off as they drafted high year after year, and the rankings have slipped as guys have graduated as well as they have stopped picking at #1.

Nobody will bat 1.000, but some teams draft better than others and it matters.

@MattEddyBA: Random minor league signings: #Dbacks RHP Brian Broderick, #RedSox RHP Chris Resop, #Twins 2B Tony Thomas & #Yankees RHP Cole Kimball.

Tony Thomas no longer in Sox org.

Baseball America's top 100 are in!

#2 Xander
    #40 Owens
    #50 Bradley
    #73 Swihart
    #74 Cecchini
    #75 Betts
    #88 Webster
    #89 Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    Keith Law Ranked the Red Sox to have the #5 farm system.

Baseball Prospectus gave them six top 100 prospects. Xander #2, Bradley #23, Barnes, Owens, Cecchini, Swihart.
    a rise from last season as 4 of last year's top 5 all tumble...
    he's not going to Michigan...he's going to Cooperstown...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jete02fan View Post
    a rise from last season as 4 of last year's top 5 all tumble...
    True, although some of the drops, like the Cardinals was due to graduation. It is one thing to note with farm system rankings. Teams will dip as major leaguers get produced. Sox will drop off next year most likely as they will graduate at least 2 prospects.

Denney with a DUI. Seems to be a trend on this team lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    Denney with a DUI. Seems to be a trend on this team lately.
    http://deadspin.com/belligerent-red-...-to-1544062842

After following him on twitter, none of this is surprising. He seems like a grade A moron.

Give a 19 year old a bunch of money, a car and the fame of being part of a top sports organization with no supervision and this is going to happen over and over.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

How messed up could he have been to actually tell the cops the truth? I think that this is so funny.

If my Son had done any of this crap at that age I would have grabbed him by the ear and dragged him off to apologize in person to those that were affected by his improper actions. It's all bad parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    How messed up could he have been to actually tell the cops the truth? I think that this is so funny.

If my Son had done any of this crap at that age I would have grabbed him by the ear and dragged him off to apologize in person to those that were affected by his improper actions. It's all bad parenting.
    The parents of some athletes are unfortunately part of their kid's adoring coddling fan club from an early age. Bad parenting.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

The parents of some athletes are unfortunately part of their kid's adoring coddling fan club from an early age. Bad parenting.
    He should get a get out of jail card for this first offense but if it happens one more time he needs his ticket punched right out of the organization. He sounds like an imbecile to me. The Red Sox need to watch this guy--------------------VERY CAREFULLY from here on in.

2010 Red Sox first-rounder Kolbrin Vitek has retired, reports Alex Speier of WEEI.com. Injuries slowed the toolsy player, who never managed to translate his raw abilities into production. As Speier notes, however, several other players taken in that draft have panned out quite nicely.
    Kind of a surprise.

A first round bust. Black mark for the GM. Should have had Clint Eastwood scout hi.

Vitek was taken in a draft that also yielded Brandon Workman, Bryce Brentz, Anthony Ranaudo, Sean Coyle, and Garin Cecchini. Workman was the 8th inning guy in a World Series run, and there is plenty of other talent in that group to make up for the Vitek pick.