Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Prospect Mega Thread

If every 1st rounder worked out, the Cubs would've had a WS by now. Thankfully, the Yankees drafting has been far behind the Sox for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    Vitek was taken in a draft that also yielded Brandon Workman, Bryce Brentz, Anthony Ranaudo, Sean Coyle, and Garin Cecchini. Workman was the 8th inning guy in a World Series run, and there is plenty of other talent in that group to make up for the Vitek pick.
    He blew a first round pick. It is never a good thing to blow your firsdt pick. Other guys were picked after Vitek that made or will make the majors. Christian Yellich would have been nice. Overall, it might have been a good draft, but blowing your first pick is still a black mark.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

If the Cubs kept a few of their first round picks like Josh Donaldson and Andrew Cashner, maybe they wouldn't be sucking it so hard.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

You wins some and you loose some.

I'm not upset or surprised that this has happened. Being a first round pick in any sport does not guarantee success.

We should all be grateful and encouraged that much of the Sox drafting appears to have been effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    You wins some and you loose some.

I'm not upset or surprised that this has happened. Being a first round pick in any sport does not guarantee success.

We should all be grateful and encouraged that much of the Sox drafting appears to have been effective.
    Yep, it is an imprecise science at best.

Vitek was taken in a draft that also yielded Brandon Workman, Bryce Brentz, Anthony Ranaudo, Sean Coyle, and Garin Cecchini. Workman was the 8th inning guy in a World Series run, and there is plenty of other talent in that group to make up for the Vitek pick.
    From the looks of things we did very well in that draft so there's no reason pouting over spilled Ovaltine. I have a strong feeling we are going to get our money's worth from most of the rest of that list and not too long from now either.

If the Cubs kept a few of their first round picks like Josh Donaldson and Andrew Cashner, maybe they wouldn't be sucking it so hard.
    Both Donaldson and Cashner Ted?? That is a double whammy if I ever saw one. It's one thing to blow it on one prospect but two of that quality is alarming. For the Cubs sake those four young prospects that project so well had better make up for losing those two. Can you believe that for the last 105 seasons the Cubs have not won a World Series or even a league title in the last 68 seasons. Brother that's what you call a Tsunami of a drought.

Cashner has been average (3.91 away ERA to 2.54 at home) outside of Petco, and Donaldson was projected to be an average (at most) regular who exploded last year in what can be attributed to a conflagration of statistical flukes and is very likely to regress massively this season. Terrible examples.
    We miss you Mike.

Seadogs kicks off with a stellar performance from Henry Owens.

6IP 0H 2BB 9K

Mookie Betts 4/4 HR
    Swihart 2/3 3B

Henry Owens overall AA line:

43 IP, 1.26 ERA, 3.6 BB/9, 13.4 K/9.

Silly numbers. AAA by June. MLB by August.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    Henry Owens overall AA line:

43 IP, 1.26 ERA, 3.6 BB/9, 13.4 K/9.

Silly numbers. AAA by June. MLB by August.
    Still, it is AA.

I agree that he is likely going to be in Pawtucket sometime this summer if he keeps up this level of performance.

If so, maybe he gets a cup of joe in the bigs this year too.

It's interesting to think about in any case.

We also have Workman. He has demonstrated that he can get it done in the bigs. I see him as being a fill-in starter before Owens but who knows?

Six no hit innings by Owens... I see a few others pointed it out, but this guy has been, and continues to be untouchable in the minors. He'll force his way to the majors soon enough.

Mookie Betts with another 4H game, including a HR, raising his season average to .453

Six no hit innings by Owens... I see a few others pointed it out, but this guy has been, and continues to be untouchable in the minors. He'll force his way to the majors soon enough.
    I hope this isn't the reason the Sox don't sign Lester. Owens is the real deal, but he is still a few years away. Lester is an ace for the next few seasons.

Owens has real deal stuff. There is a reason why he's not rifling through your system. His stuff is top shelf, his command is not. If he cut down on the walks, he'd already be in Boston. Last yr, in his big breakout campaign, he walked 68 in 135IP, good for 4.5BB/9IP. This yr, he walked a total of 2 in his first 2 starts before walking 7 in his last 11IP. If he came to the bigs with that command, he'd be demolished. Reminds me a lot of Andrew Miller. Dominant stuff from the left side, poor repetition of his delivery. The thing with Miller was that he was rushed to the bigs the same year he was drafted and never developed. Take your time with this kid and you might end up getting something special. But counting on him as the replacement for Lester only hastens his development and you risk losing him.
    Hal sucks