Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanaka is a Yankee!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    LOL!!

Your staff sucks ass. He might actually be your #1 if CC shits the bed again this year
    I disagree. Kuroda's pretty good, Sabathia is still a useful pitcher who could rebound if his HR/9 goes back to career levels, Nova is underrated, and they just added Tanaka. They all have question marks, but those are four potentially good pitchers. They are weak at the back, but Pineda or Phelps won't kill them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    He's our #4 right now. And if Pineda comes back this yr, we're gonna be tough
    Good rotation, but the offense is going to hurt their chances. I just don't see them winning with an infield that terrible. Beltran, Ellsbury, McCann, Gardner, and a bunch of scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by rjortiz View Post
    Good rotation, but the offense is going to hurt their chances. I just don't see them winning with an infield that terrible. Beltran, Ellsbury, McCann, Gardner, and a bunch of scrubs.
    Jeter and Teixeira are scrubs? This is news to me.

Exactly, and we now have the best offensive catcher in the game behind the plate. (Mauer's now a full time 1B). People seem to forget that. Our lineup is vastly improved from a year ago.

LF Gardner
    SS Jeter
    CF Ellsbury
    1B Teixeira
    C McCann
    DH Soriano
    RF Beltran
    2B Roberts/Joseph
    3B Johnson/Nunez

Our "infield" concerns on the offensive end are our 8th and 9th place hitters. Our 1-7 is solid. Johnson is no offensive scrub either. Who the fuck knows what Roberts gives us. Either way, we saw tremendous amounts of starting time out of Ichiro, Stewart, Nunez, Brendan Ryan, etc. we also had starts from Vernon Wells, Zoilo Almonte, Travis Hafner, etc. We were injured beyond reasonable expectations and still won 86 games

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinity View Post
    Jeter and Teixeira are scrubs? This is news to me.
    When's the last time you read the news? 2007?

Teixeira is coming off two down years, one if which he spent most of the season on the DL. He's in decline with his bat, and doesn't provide any value elsewhere. Maybe scrub is too harsh a word, but he isn't a good player. At best, he'll be average.

Jeter is going to be 40. 40-year-old SS's don't age well. I wonder what's the O/U on the balls that roll past Jeter in 2014? I think he's going to be horrific in 2014. He'll probably wish he retired.

rj, where is a 2.7WAR player "average"? Seriously, I cannot believe the garbage and jealousy coming from this side. You would figure some degree of rationale would have made it here, especially since you guys just won the title. Cmon guys. In this lineup, with guys around him who can actually hit, he will likely be a 2.5-3WAR player. He's also an elite gloveman, so we get a boost there as well. Remember, there captain, Yankee 1bs hit .229/.292/.397 last yr, good for 28th in the entire big leagues in terms of OPS.

Jeter is going to give us problems on the defensive side, IMO. Our SS's last yr hit .228/.286/.312 last yr, 26th in baseball. I am willing to bet my sig for 2 years that he can beat that OPS mark over the course of a season, assuming he is healthy. And it isn't like we were stealthy with the glove a year ago. Yankee SS's had the 24th best fielding percentage in baseball and had the 10th most errors. Jeter will not make those same mistakes, although he wont get to nearly the amount of balls. Remember, our SS for a good chunk of 2013 was Eduardo Nunez, and his UZR/150 at SS was -40.7. My guess is we see about 100 games from Jeter at SS with 60 coming from Ryan, who is a glove wizard. Jete probably plays 20 or so games at DH as well.

Both of those guys fill areas where we were dead last yr. Are they the best in the game, no, but are they massive upgrades over the garbage there a year ago, absolutely.
    Hal sucks

Banned
    Exactly, and we now have the best offensive catcher in the game behind the plate. (Mauer's now a full time 1B). People seem to forget that. Our lineup is vastly improved from a year ago.

LF Gardner
    SS Jeter
    CF Ellsbury
    1B Teixeira
    C McCann
    DH Soriano
    RF Beltran
    2B Roberts/Joseph
    3B Johnson/Nunez
    It wasn't going to be hard to upgrade that offense in 2013, but they upgraded from way below average to just below average. It's extremely prone to multiple decline years. Also, is it even possible for that lineup to make it through the season intact?

Our "infield" concerns on the offensive end are our 8th and 9th place hitters. Our 1-7 is solid. Johnson is no offensive scrub either. Who the fuck knows what Roberts gives us. Either way, we saw tremendous amounts of starting time out of Ichiro, Stewart, Nunez, Brendan Ryan, etc. we also had starts from Vernon Wells, Zoilo Almonte, Travis Hafner, etc. We were injured beyond reasonable expectations and still won 86 games
    What do you mean by solid? Average? They can be average if Jeter, Soriano, Beltran, and Teixeira all defy age related decline. There's a lot of risk with these guys. I doubt they can all do it. Even if they are solid with the bats, can any one of them catch a baseball? It looks like the strategy is to make the opposing team hit the ball to left-center field.

85 wins, but they outperformed their RD by 6 games, so they were lucky to have a winning record. The Yankees have definitely improved. I think they are in the mix for the Wild Card, and could win the division if everything breaks right. I just don't see them getting enough of them to do that.

Banned
    rj, where is a 2.7WAR player "average"? Seriously, I cannot believe the garbage and jealousy coming from this side. You would figure some degree of rationale would have made it here, especially since you guys just won the title. Cmon guys. In this lineup, with guys around him who can actually hit, he will likely be a 2.5-3WAR player. He's also an elite gloveman, so we get a boost there as well. Remember, there captain, Yankee 1bs hit .229/.292/.397 last yr, good for 28th in the entire big leagues in terms of OPS.
    Garbage and jealousy? Why would I be jealous? I have nothing against a team I play no part in. I've also never met Teixeira, or any Yankee for that matter, so I have nothing against them. The Yankees get the same reaction out of me as the Twins do. I even call out that idiot who calls them the $pankees.

I didn't call a 2.7 WAR an average year. I called it a down year. I predicted that he could be average this year, although I think he's going to struggle recovering from injury, and getting a year older. Also, is he really an elite defender at 1B? After adjusting for his position, he's considered a below average fielder on fangraphs.

Jeter is going to give us problems on the defensive side, IMO. Our SS's last yr hit .228/.286/.312 last yr, 26th in baseball. I am willing to bet my sig for 2 years that he can beat that OPS mark over the course of a season, assuming he is healthy. And it isn't like we were stealthy with the glove a year ago. Yankee SS's had the 24th best fielding percentage in baseball and had the 10th most errors. Jeter will not make those same mistakes, although he wont get to nearly the amount of balls. Remember, our SS for a good chunk of 2013 was Eduardo Nunez, and his UZR/150 at SS was -40.7. My guess is we see about 100 games from Jeter at SS with 60 coming from Ryan, who is a glove wizard. Jete probably plays 20 or so games at DH as well.

Both of those guys fill areas where we were dead last yr. Are they the best in the game, no, but are they massive upgrades over the garbage there a year ago, absolutely.
    Depends on how much of an upgrade you think Jeter will be. I don't think he's going to exceed a WAR of 1. I guess that would still represent an upgrade.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar
    He's our #4 right now. And if Pineda comes back this yr, we're gonna be tough
    LMAO please
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

please what? We won 86 games a yr ago with an all star team on the DL. We've got them back plus added a ton of talent. We're gonna be hard to beat.
    Hal sucks

LOL, He is not your number 4. He is supposed to be your No 1 or at very least your number 2. If he turns into your No. 4, oh boy…
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

He's the #4 to start the yr. CC, Kuroda and Nova are ahead of him.
    Hal sucks

McCann is the best offensive catcher in baseball? You either love hyperbole, or you're an idiot.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinity View Post
    Jason Coskrey, sports writer for The Japan Times said Tanaka's splitter is better than Uehara's.
    He hasn't thrown a single MLB pitch with the different ball and mound height, mr. homerrific. I didn't see any of these "scouting reports" before he signed with the Yanks.
    We miss you Mike.

Lol.