Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanaka is a Yankee!

I have been reading this and other related threads with considerable interest.

One thing I have not seen discussed in detail is what the Yankees are likely to do before the start of the season. If I'm Cashman, I am very busy trying to shore up the infield, find bullpen help, and find a reserve outfielder. Yes, it is true that the Yankees had "an all-star team" on the DL. However, none of those players were really performing at an all-star level before they went down.

Expecting them to all produce as in their glory years is a wet dream.

Cashman is no dummy and he has a huge budget. It will be interesting to see what he does before April.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I have been reading this and other related threads with considerable interest.

One thing I have not seen discussed in detail is what the Yankees are likely to do before the start of the season. If I'm Cashman, I am very busy trying to shore up the infield, find bullpen help, and find a reserve outfielder. Yes, it is true that the Yankees had "an all-star team" on the DL. However, none of those players were really performing at an all-star level before they went down.

Expecting them to all produce as in their glory years is a wet dream.

Cashman is no dummy and he has a huge budget. It will be interesting to see what he does before April.
    I think even the Yankees have a limit, and I think they're over $200 million with Tanaka. I'm curious how much more money they have available. I'm not too worried about it, because they're aren't any options to be had. The only one I can think of is Stephen Drew, and he still wouldn't make them favorites in the East. The other alternative is to make some trades, but that won't happen. That farm system is atrocious.

It's going to be hilarious when the 35 and ups on the roster show their age, and either Ellsbury or McCann goes down. They'll be fighting to stay out of the cellar. They spend a lot of money this offseason, but they've built one of the riskiest teams in MLB.
    Last edited by rjortiz; 01-22-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinity View Post
    Jeter and Teixeira are scrubs? This is news to me.
    Jeter is done. Will have a blast watching him fucking suck this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    please what? We won 86 games a yr ago with an all star team on the DL. We've got them back plus added a ton of talent. We're gonna be hard to beat.
    Tanaka a number 4, I mean really? Ohhhhhh you got Pineda back I'm so scared! You are always trying to scream "fear us" when you have so many what ifs. You don't know how half of your players will perform. Reading all your posts last year are freaking hilarious. I watched you backtrack the closer we got to the end of the season. I expect the same this year and you will eat a big plate of shit. Your team is old and you will have some serious problems down the road.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Banned
    Why does he keep touting the 86 wins? It was actually 85 wins, and they allowed more runs then they scored. That's a better indicator of their talent level, which was around 79 wins. Also, who are these stars he's talking about? Jeter, Rodriguez, Teixeira, Granderson, and Nova? None of them are even close to all-stars. Teixeira and Jeter were complete negatives when they tried to play. Rodriguez and Granderson were somewhat useful, but they're gone. Nova is good, but he's not a star. I'll tell you who is a star. Robinson Cano. Where does he play now?

Everything you said is true. This is why I wonder what Cashman will do. I don't care about the Yankees being over the cap because they have never worried about it.

Cashman will do something. He has to. No one ( in the Yankee's nation )will be willing to tolerate another year like '13 for the Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Everything you said is true. This is why I wonder what Cashman will do. I don't care about the Yankees being over the cap because they have never worried about it.

Cashman will do something. He has to. No one ( in the Yankee's nation )will be willing to tolerate another year like '13 for the Yankees
    I don't understand the Sox fans who take glee in the Yankees overpaying for a player. It doesn't stop themfrom spending and they still got the player.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by BSN07 View Post
    Irabu 2.0 be better
    $pankees and budget, what a joke! This is why I hate them, and they can't loss enough as far as I'm concern. They can make one bad roster decision after another and they just buy their way out of those. They will pay ARod a %&it load of $$$$$$$ to go away and that is their way of dealing with a bad signing. I knew all along that the 189 million budget was a bunch of crap. A Sox championship means that the $pankees throw a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at any FA that is breathing during the following winter. We can only hope that they paid ace money for Irabu 2.0!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego View Post
    Please let this be Dice-K part 2.
    ^ This!! Better NYY than us.

Let him burn the NYY like Dice-K did the Red Sox. Over paid, under achiever.

jacko, I can't believe you're so excited about this. LMAO!

None of us have a clue how Tanaka's stuff will translate to MLB.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

And neither do scouts really. I still remember reading with my grandpa (when i was just learning English as my second language mind you), the rave reviews on Hideki Irabu.

Look at the reports, and you'll see that they're all over the place: Ace, #2, question mark, ticking time bomb are all used to describe Tanaka within the first page of a google search. We'll just have to wait and see.
    We miss you Mike.

I'm just going to hope and pray the Tanaka turns out to be the next Dice-K.

I have a feeling. A good feeling. He is not going to do well in the US. Correct me if you actually look it up, but from what I've seen, around 1 out of every 5 Japanese pitchers who come over here have maintained success. Tanaka may have a good rookie year, as hitters try to figure him out, but it will get increasingly harder to be a constant force on the mound. I still think that Darvish will fall at some point. Investing in Japanese pitchers is too much of a risk to get involved in. The Yankees certainly have the wallet to get screwed on this one, and they had to take the chance to try and improve their pitching staff. Although, one thing that will help Tanaka is having Kuroda on the team. Kuroda provides the veteran presence, who can certainly relate, coming from Japan to a big market himself in LA, and speaks fluent Japanese, presumably one of the few in the clubhouse. Kuroda should serve as Tanaka's personal pitching coach in a sense, but that won't necessarily translate to good things.

Now that that's over, how's everyone been?
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I'm just going to hope and pray the Tanaka turns out to be the next Dice-K.

I have a feeling. A good feeling. He is not going to do well in the US. Correct me if you actually look it up, but from what I've seen, around 1 out of every 5 Japanese pitchers who come over here have maintained success. Tanaka may have a good rookie year, as hitters try to figure him out, but it will get increasingly harder to be a constant force on the mound. I still think that Darvish will fall at some point. Investing in Japanese pitchers is too much of a risk to get involved in. The Yankees certainly have the wallet to get screwed on this one, and they had to take the chance to try and improve their pitching staff. Although, one thing that will help Tanaka is having Kuroda on the team. Kuroda provides the veteran presence, who can certainly relate, coming from Japan to a big market himself in LA, and speaks fluent Japanese, presumably one of the few in the clubhouse. Kuroda should serve as Tanaka's personal pitching coach in a sense, but that won't necessarily translate to good things.

Now that that's over, how's everyone been?
    Good and you?

Hate Winter, cold weather and no baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by VA Sox Fan View Post
    Good and you?

Hate Winter, cold weather and no baseball.
    Well, it's exam week in school, had a snow day today, and have been really busy. The extreme cold has me yearning for summer and baseball, which will bring me closer and closer to the magical age of 16.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox are making smart signings. They just signed Grady Sizemore for one year six million.
    "It happens to everybody, man. He's had 60 at-bats. A couple of years ago, I had 60 at-bats, and I was hitting .170, and everyone was ready to kill me, too. And what happened? Laser show. So, relax."

Quote Originally Posted by NativeBostonian View Post
    Meanwhile, the Red Sox are making smart signings. They just signed Grady Sizemore for one year six million.
    I like the signing. I'm not ready for JBJ to be the everyday CF yet. Sox learned last year that one year contracts with sketchy players could pay big dividends.