Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: 2014 Olympics

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Maybe its just me, but I have never been interested in winter Olympics, I just don't find this stuff interesting. I mean I guess some of snowboarding or whatever is cool, but I don't like hockey and I don't understand how people watch curling. It was on at the bar yesterday at my work and people were getting into it, like what the fuck? Its so boring.
    I don't really follow them either. I prefer the regular Olympics, specifically the women's fencing competitions and the Chinese and Japanese women's volleyball teams. I'm not watching these things to see women in parkas and ski suits, goddammit.


  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I don't really follow them either. I prefer the regular Olympics, specifically the women's fencing competitions and the Chinese and Japanese women's volleyball teams. I'm not watching these things to see women in parkas and ski suits, goddammit.
    That's why there is figure skating. That Meryl Davis looks awfully gorgeous.
    University of Connecticut Class of 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Hitting the ball with his nose was the best contact Pedroia has made in 3 games. Who needs Pedey, we have Brock Holt.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    That's why there is figure skating. That Meryl Davis looks awfully gorgeous.
    There are two problems with skating. One, not nearly enough skin, and two, sometimes it's hard to tell the men from the women.


  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    There are two problems with skating. One, not nearly enough skin, and two, sometimes it's hard to tell the men from the women.
    Well, the outfits usually give it away. A man wouldn't wear a low cut, one piece skirt.
    University of Connecticut Class of 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Hitting the ball with his nose was the best contact Pedroia has made in 3 games. Who needs Pedey, we have Brock Holt.

  5. #20
    Single A
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    2
    The main feeling for visitors and residents is that the spread-out nature of the arenas and stadiums, and the still-unfinished construction, gives areas of the city the feel of ghost town. With Sochi the place to find just 300,000 people, nearly all infrastructure must be constructed from scratch. Whole residential districts were constructed. Many buildings were not finished at a certain time with the games - and possibly never shall be.
    However, with the deteriorating economic situation in Russia, there could be an unexpected bonus for Sochi, with the winter ski season in the nearby slopes shaping up to be better than anyone expected. Also the event boost online sales and mascot sales. While using the rouble losing around 50% against the euro throughout the year, holidays in Europe are increasingly becoming prohibitively expensive to many Russians, and skiing breaks from the Caucasus could be thought of as an extremely affordable alternative.

  6. #21
    Timely and topical post.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  7. #22
    Cry harder, Hope.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  8. #23
    Can't watch it. 20 minutes of human interest stories for every 5 minutes of competition. Enough already. Televise the events. I don't care if the athlete's father was a one-eyed -proof reader who worked 20 hour days and still found the time to drive him 100 miles each day to practice. I really don't care.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Can't watch it. 20 minutes of human interest stories for every 5 minutes of competition. Enough already. Televise the events. I don't care if the athlete's father was a one-eyed -proof reader who worked 20 hour days and still found the time to drive him 100 miles each day to practice. I really don't care.
    "Just a Cinderella story...outta nowhere...."
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Can't watch it. 20 minutes of human interest stories for every 5 minutes of competition. Enough already. Televise the events. I don't care if the athlete's father was a one-eyed -proof reader who worked 20 hour days and still found the time to drive him 100 miles each day to practice. I really don't care.
    I love the Olympics. I enjoy the human interest stories. I can't watch them all during the summer Olympics because baseball trumps any other tv watching, but I record the Olympics every night, then I can ff through all the ads and any of the human interest stories or preliminary heats that I don't want to watch.

    I can knock out 4 hours of telecast in about an hour and a half.

  11. #26
    I can't watch the Olympics because I feel too bad for the losers. For things like basketball or soccer or whatever, it's different. The Olympics is just a feather in your cap, there are bigger stages on which to win (the World Cup, NBA championship, et cetera). But for things like the running or swimming events, the Olympics is the pinnacle of your sport. The big time. The absolute top competition in the world for your chosen field. These people spend most of their entire lives training and sacrificing and working their asses off to get to the day where they can compete in the games...and then they lose out on a medal by an amount of time measured in literally hundredths of seconds. In less time than it takes a human being to blink, a decade or more of pouring your heart and soul into your goal is flushed away. I'd almost rather lose by minutes than think that maybe if I'd cut my hair a little shorter or worn thinner socks, maybe it would have made the difference.


  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by garurumon View Post
    The main feeling for visitors and residents is that the spread-out nature of the arenas and stadiums, and the still-unfinished construction, gives areas of the city the feel of ghost town. With Sochi the place to find just 300,000 people, nearly all infrastructure must be constructed from scratch. Whole residential districts were constructed. Many buildings were not finished at a certain time with the games - and possibly never shall be.
    However, with the deteriorating economic situation in Russia, there could be an unexpected bonus for Sochi, with the winter ski season in the nearby slopes shaping up to be better than anyone expected. Also the event boost online sales and mascot sales. While using the rouble losing around 50% against the euro throughout the year, holidays in Europe are increasingly becoming prohibitively expensive to many Russians, and skiing breaks from the Caucasus could be thought of as an extremely affordable alternative.
    you do know that most of the infrastructure in Sochi was built with slave labor, right? many died and many, many more worked to the bone and never received pay.
    2 points on Brasil:
    - the empty arenas and venues is embarrassing
    - the idiot swimmers for the USA that claimed they were robbed by police will be a global embarrassment for the USA.
    other names i have posted under: none

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Can't watch it. 20 minutes of human interest stories for every 5 minutes of competition. Enough already. Televise the events. I don't care if the athlete's father was a one-eyed -proof reader who worked 20 hour days and still found the time to drive him 100 miles each day to practice. I really don't care.
    On Directv at any given time there are 8 channels with events going on. i have yet to watch a human interest story.
    other names i have posted under: none

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I can't watch the Olympics because I feel too bad for the losers. For things like basketball or soccer or whatever, it's different. The Olympics is just a feather in your cap, there are bigger stages on which to win (the World Cup, NBA championship, et cetera). But for things like the running or swimming events, the Olympics is the pinnacle of your sport. The big time. The absolute top competition in the world for your chosen field. These people spend most of their entire lives training and sacrificing and working their asses off to get to the day where they can compete in the games...and then they lose out on a medal by an amount of time measured in literally hundredths of seconds. In less time than it takes a human being to blink, a decade or more of pouring your heart and soul into your goal is flushed away. I'd almost rather lose by minutes than think that maybe if I'd cut my hair a little shorter or worn thinner socks, maybe it would have made the difference.
    I know where you're coming from Youk. I feel so bad for the losers, mainly the ones who were expected to win or at least medal. It's crazy to think that an entire life's worth of work comes down to a performance that lasts minutes or even seconds. I still haven't gotten over Michelle Kwan being beat for the gold by fellow American Tara Lipinski.

    That said, the joy of watching the winners, or even athletes who win a bronze and take home the first medal ever in that event for their country, makes up for it. I also take solace in knowing that many of the athletes who fall short of their goal the first time will continue to work hard and return for another Olympics. Many succeed the next time around.

    Also, I believe all of those sports have yearly World Championships. While they are usually not played out on a big stage, the competitions are pretty big deals for the athletes.

  15. #30
    Cry some more, Hope. Surprise! Actions have consequences.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •