Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Derek Jeter to retire at end of 2014

Derek Jeter to retire at end of 2014

Thought I'd make the thread to celebrate the occasion.
    Yep... It's that moment we've all been waiting for. Jeter will embark on his farewell tour, much to the rejoice of fans across RSN. Obviously a first ballot HOFer, and such a classy guy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/sp...ason.html?_r=0
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

What'll be higher at the end of the season - Jeter's age, or the number of games he ended up playing during his retirement tour?

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar
    Fuck him, see ya later!
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

It will be strange watching the Yankees without him. He had become such a fixture. I was hoping that he would play longer as his defense would deteriorate to the point where he would be very detrimental to his team.

This announcement could spur on Drew to sign with the Yanks. He'd have to suck it up this season and bounce around the IF, but the position would be his in 2015.

I guess Jeter was a classy guy. He gave his sexual conquests goodie bags of memorabilia and he had his driver take them home. So classy.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Yanks last 3 games of the year are at Fenway.... Not sure how that will go over.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Yanks last 3 games of the year are at Fenway.... Not sure how that will go over.
    It will go over very well.......IF we win that series, clinch the AL East on Friday at the series opener, win on Saturday and give the second or third place Yankees one for the road on Sunday when the Red Sox acknowledge the guy. The time line for Derek is a retirement of number in 2015, and a trip to the Hall of Fame in the year 2020, the same year we win our third WS in the decade.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    He'll be on the DL, or DFA'd by that point.

I will miss the guy. I was 14 when he debuted and he was one of the best shortstops of all time. He was clearly third in the big 3 when they were in their hay day, but he outlasted Nomar and wasn't juicing like ARod. He also is the classiest athlete. In the athletic self promoting era, you couldn't find a more team first, spotlight deflecting superstar. 5 rings help as well. They wont retire his number in 2015. They'll retire it in 2014, last weekend home game of the yr
    Hal sucks

I guess Jeter was a classy guy. He gave his sexual conquests goodie bags of memorabilia and he had his driver take them home. So classy

and what's wrong with that

is bringing it up more classy

Quote Originally Posted by 909460
    The ticket prices for the final Sunday matinee at Fenway also skyrocketed, Matcovich said, to more than $200 from a low of $91 before Jeter’s announcement. The Red Sox had a two-game flex pack that included Game 162 against the Yankees, but it sold out less than two hours later.

Cue the insufferable retirement tour.

Glad he's finally fucking off though. I'll miss his awful fielding, however.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Time for him to spend his golden years at a home on the limited range.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    It will go over very well.......IF we win that series, clinch the AL East on Friday at the series opener, win on Saturday and give the second or third place Yankees one for the road on Sunday when the Red Sox acknowledge the guy. The time line for Derek is a retirement of number in 2015, and a trip to the Hall of Fame in the year 2020, the same year we win our third WS in the decade.
    Well, if I said that that doesn't sound amazing and perfect, I'd be lying. Seems like a fantasy, but it easily could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I will miss the guy. I was 14 when he debuted and he was one of the best shortstops of all time. He was clearly third in the big 3 when they were in their hay day, but he outlasted Nomar and wasn't juicing like ARod. He also is the classiest athlete. In the athletic self promoting era, you couldn't find a more team first, spotlight deflecting superstar. 5 rings help as well. They wont retire his number in 2015. They'll retire it in 2014, last weekend home game of the yr
    This is the best post I've seen in a while. I completely agree with you. My first baseball memories include Jeter, growing up in a state that is about half Yankees and half Sox, although back then, the Sox were still "cursed." Like many other kids I know, I tried to imitate him to an extent, although my strongest IF position is 3B. It was so hard to avoid his influence.

Quote Originally Posted by pinstripezac View Post
    and what's wrong with that

is bringing it up more classy

The ticket prices for the final Sunday matinee at Fenway also skyrocketed, Matcovich said, to more than $200 from a low of $91 before Jeter’s announcement. The Red Sox had a two-game flex pack that included Game 162 against the Yankees, but it sold out less than two hours later.
    My point is that people mistake quiet for classy. Jeter is not classy, just quiet. He maybe the only high profile star that has played for almost 20 years and never gave the press a single memorable quote. He's a great player and a gamer, but the guy has zero personality.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I completely forgot to say it after Mo and Andy retired.

And then there was one. The dynasty ends with Jeter.

The dynasty will end when the wallet is closed
    Hal sucks