Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Yankees preseason

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Pineda threw a scoreless 2.2IP with 5K today. He's got his stuff back. Now the question is, will his shoulder explode or not? I think NY will actually option him to AAA for two month to try to cap his innings
    You are kidding, right? Did you see the lineup he pitched against? There was not one starter in the lineup for the Orioles and you are claiming that he has his "stuff" back.

Don't get me wrong, it was a solid performance, but I would expect someone in his position to pitch like that facing a AAAA or AAA lineup. It is encouraging that he is making progress, but I think it is a stretch to claim he has his "stuff" back based off of him pitching 2.2 innings against a weak lineup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxfan3 View Post
    You are kidding, right? Did you see the lineup he pitched against? There was not one starter in the lineup for the Orioles and you are claiming that he has his "stuff" back.

Don't get me wrong, it was a solid performance, but I would expect someone in his position to pitch like that facing a AAAA or AAA lineup. It is encouraging that he is making progress, but I think it is a stretch to claim he has his "stuff" back based off of him pitching 2.2 innings against a weak lineup.
    You're talking to a guy who lists the entire Yankees farm system as legitimate prospects.

RSF, he was throwing hard with good break on his slider. That's what I'm looking at. Per SR's, his stuff is nearly all the way back. Now, we need to make sure the shoulder doesn't explode
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    RSF, he was throwing hard with good break on his slider. That's what I'm looking at. Per SR's, his stuff is nearly all the way back. Now, we need to make sure the shoulder doesn't explode
    I see your point of view now. I just wanted to know what specifically you were referring to when you said he has his "stuff" back. I watched him pitch against the Red Sox and he has a lot of potential. He is definitely on the right track. He could be a real asset for you guys this year if he is used wisely. I was not trying to knock his talent, I was just not impressed by the numbers he put up in one game. If he continues to pitch like he has this spring, he could be pretty filthy this season.

CC dominated again. 89-91 tonight, so he is going to need to continue to be a good pitcher
    Hal sucks

CC dominated again. 89-91 tonight, so he is going to need to continue to be a good pitcher
    he also has to do a better job of coming through the first three frames with minimal to no damage
    he's not going to Michigan...he's going to Cooperstown...

CC of last yr was actually a very good pitcher without his velocity. When he started ramping up the velo, he lost command and was horrible. I hope he isn't looking at the radar gun. A 90mph fastball is still a good big league fastball. It isn't the elite one he used to have, but it isn't like he's throwing 80mph out there like Jamie Moyer. As long as he locates that pitch as well as his plus change and slider, he'll be a top tier level pitcher. If he cannot do that, then he's gonna get abused.
    Hal sucks

So Pineda is the 5th starter. This rotation has a lot of potential and could be the best they've had since 2003. There's no true number one on the staff, but there also might not be any fours or fives either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees228 View Post
    So Pineda is the 5th starter. This rotation has a lot of potential and could be the best they've had since 2003. There's no true number one on the staff, but there also might not be any fours or fives either.
    Kuroda is a definite number one, but other than that I agree. Their first four starters are very good, and Pineda has a lot of upside. Even if he fails, they could turn to David Phelps. He isn't good, but he's not a terrible fifth starter.

Quote Originally Posted by rjortiz View Post
    Kuroda is a definite number one, but other than that I agree. Their first four starters are very good, and Pineda has a lot of upside. Even if he fails, they could turn to David Phelps. He isn't good, but he's not a terrible fifth starter.
    I like Kuroda a lot, but he's not a true number one, at least based on how I define it. When I talk about number ones I'm talking about guys like Kershaw, Verlander, Harvey, Lee, etc. There are, at most, 15 of them in the entire league. Kuroda doesn't belong in that category. But you can probably change the definition of a number one to include many others, so this is all just really semantics.

My only point is that the Yankees should have a very strong rotation, albeit without an elite pitcher.

I like Kuroda a lot, but he's not a true number one, at least based on how I define it. When I talk about number ones I'm talking about guys like Kershaw, Verlander, Harvey, Lee, etc. There are, at most, 15 of them in the entire league. Kuroda doesn't belong in that category. But you can probably change the definition of a number one to include many others, so this is all just really semantics.

My only point is that the Yankees should have a very strong rotation, albeit without an elite pitcher.
    agree, Kuroda is not a no 1 by any means.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Banned

I would agree going off your definition. My line of thinking is that he's been one of the top 20 pitchers in the game, so he's a quality option to have on top of your rotation.

CC, Kuroda, Nova, Tanaka, Pineda. I have a feeling our rotation is going to be very, very good. Our ERA+ out of the rotation should be top 10 in baseball
    Hal sucks

CC, Kuroda, Nova, Tanaka, Pineda. I have a feeling our rotation is going to be very, very good. Our ERA+ out of the rotation should be top 10 in baseball
    i'm looking for the rest of the staff..well, at least CC and Kuroda to push Nova to be consistent for longer periods...he definitely has it in him....
    he's not going to Michigan...he's going to Cooperstown...

Tanaka strikes out 10 in 6IP to finish off a sterling spring. Our starters have been good this spring, especially the young guns. I am very excited about our pitching right now. If they can stay healthy and continue this into the season, we're gonna be hard to beat. I just hope the young guns in the pen are ready for the big time. This far, they've been dominant in spring games, but holding a 7th and 8th inning lead in Fenway going through the heart of the sox lineup is a little different than holding a lead at Steinbrenner field vs the back end scrubs
    Hal sucks