Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Yankees Minor League notes

2014 Yankees Minor League notes

At least less players need operations by the second week of april. Huge improvement on last yr, lol. Thus far, I have been a peripheral observer, but the name that is standing out is Gary Sanchez. He's hitting .353/.450/.588 through 9 games and is just hammering the ball and showing patience. Last yr, his defense took a major step forward and thus far, this season, his offense is making the move. He's got the potential to be a power hitting starting catcher, but he's blocked here. Unlike Montero, though, I think this kid sticks in the org as the backup catcher to McCann as early as mid season next yr and probably backup 1b and full time DH come 2016. He's been in the system for awhile, but he's only 21 yrs old.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    At least less players need operations by the second week of april. Huge improvement on last yr, lol. Thus far, I have been a peripheral observer, but the name that is standing out is Gary Sanchez. He's hitting .353/.450/.588 through 9 games and is just hammering the ball and showing patience. Last yr, his defense took a major step forward and thus far, this season, his offense is making the move. He's got the potential to be a power hitting starting catcher, but he's blocked here. Unlike Montero, though, I think this kid sticks in the org as the backup catcher to McCann as early as mid season next yr and probably backup 1b and full time DH come 2016. He's been in the system for awhile, but he's only 21 yrs old.
    If the $pankees really thought this guy was the answer they would not have signed McCann long term. They would have done what the Sox did and sign a vet short term to hold the place. They will build him up to be the best thing since sliced cheese and trade him for other pieces like they did "Fat Boy" (Montero).

The Yankees don't wait for prospects. They never have and never will. Given Sanchez' age, your probably looking at him being ready for 2016 on a full time basis. No way they were waiting for a prospect for 2 more seasons at such a critical position. Also, by then, Tex will be in his final season, so they'd be close to gaining some roster flexibility as well. The kid is a top prospect, but they don't wait for them in the bronx
    Hal sucks

Peter O'Brien is cranking up the heat on the Yankee brass. He came in as a senior draftee and came in as a C. Because they wanted him to catch, he started in low A last yr and promoted late to High A. He started the yr in High A as a catcher, but they just scrapped that plan, moved him to RF (with a little 3B) and propelled him to AA. He's hit 14HR in 34 games and is probably on the fast track to the bigs. He doesn't have a lot of speed, but has a fucking cannon, so he can hold his own in the OF.
    Hal sucks

He's now hit 17HR on the year.
    Hal sucks

Peter O'Brien hit his 10th AA homer today. He has also hit 10 A+ HR's. He leads the entire MiLB in HR with 20. He has power unlike anything we have had in this system in awhile
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    Really disappointing season so far from our minor league view. Lots of injuries and Bird, Sanchez, and Austin have really not done anything. German, Torrens, Bird, and Hensley getting hurt really sucked too. Judge has smashed though and Refs is coming around. Williams and Heathcott are having throwback years. Is Clarkin hurt or ? Mateo and Wade have been excellent too.

Meh, I disagree with you on the offensive front. We're seeing solid progress out of Avelino and Mateo. Bird is just starting to rev up. Judge is absolutely murdering the ball. Jagielo is a masher. Mason Williams and Slade Heathcott are looking great. As far as our offensive prospects go, we are definitely seeing good progress (aside from Sanchez). We lost a few starters prior to the season and it looks like Clarkin and Camarena are probably headed for TJS as well. Severino has looked very good on the rotational front. That being said, with Lail now out after getting cracked in the skull, we are definitely lacking starting depth in the minors. Our pen prospects have been very good. I think the next guy up should be Lindgren or Burawa. Lindgren has a 1.65ERA with 22K in 16.1IP at AAA. Not bad for a 2nd rounder from last year

All-Star
    Lindgren velocity is way down. Bird is hurt, he's not warming up. Jags is smashing but thats about it. I did sat Judge and Mateo are doing well. As are Williams and Slade. Just injuries have destroyed the system this year.

Mateo with 2 more steals. 27SBs in 31 games to go along with a .352OBP as a 19 yr old in long season. This kid also apparently plays a slick SS.
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...5-version-3-0/

Yankees have been connected to Betts, Stewart, Nikorak, and Kaprielian. I'd be happy if we got two of those. I'd go for Betts and Nikorak with my picks. With our large pool, we might even be able to snag a pretty solid pick with our second rounder too.

I like Kaprielian and Bickford. I want a college flame thrower with pick 1.

The most recent mock has us getting Funkhouser and Matuella and Aiken falling into the second round. No fucking way that happens. If Aiken falls to us in the first round, we're gonna take him. Matuella might have the better raw stuff, but he has a chronic back condition as well as TJS. Aiken had an abnormally small UCL and now is recovering from TJS, problem solved. Kid will be throwing in the minors in 2016. I like the Funkhouser pick. I would welcome the Matuella pick if Aiken is off the board. Regardless, with our purchase of basically the top 10 from the INTL ranks last yr and all of them being position players, we need to add to our pitching depth. With Clarkin missing time with elbow trouble and a bunch of other guys either recovering from or needing TJS, we are short on options, especially from AA to A ball. Some college arms or a recovering top notch prospect who can start in Charleston next yr would be welcome
    Hal sucks

Severino to AAA. He and Mitchell in the same rotation, should be fun. They are really limiting Severino right now, which might mean a possible big league callup should some of our starters suck nuts
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    I hope we take Whitely and Everett with our two picks. That'd be insane. Really hope we get Whitely though.