Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vazquez

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I endorse whatever posts agree with my opinion too!
    Well, I will hold you to that.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Swihart is going to be a monster. I totally respect the Vasquez camp, and it's a good problem to have. But it's funny what simple reps can do.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Swihart is going to be a monster. I totally respect the Vasquez camp, and it's a good problem to have. But it's funny what simple reps can do.
    I would really hate to see either Swihart or Vazquez traded, but I'm guessing one of them will be eventually.

I realize his value goes down as a 1B, but I'd try Swihart out there, or maybe even 3B. I really like the idea of having a 3rd catcher on the team, just in case. But then, we'd have to figure out what to do with Hanley or Pablo.

Vasquez is light years ahead of Swihart defensively. Just listen to the pitchers talk about him. Offensively Vaz will be there. Hes got a solid approach at the plate. Hes not going to be a stud with the bat ( not that swihart has been either) but he will not be the automatic out that some here think. Obviously they haveent seen Vaz play enough.
    Swihart played mostly OF in HS. His value is at its highest as a catcher, but to break the 25 man roster in Boston, Swi will have to look to OF for that chance.
    We could also realistically see him traded.

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw777 View Post
    Vasquez is light years ahead of Swihart defensively. Just listen to the pitchers talk about him. Offensively Vaz will be there. Hes got a solid approach at the plate. Hes not going to be a stud with the bat ( not that swihart has been either) but he will not be the automatic out that some here think. Obviously they haveent seen Vaz play enough.
    Swihart played mostly OF in HS. His value is at its highest as a catcher, but to break the 25 man roster in Boston, Swi will have to look to OF for that chance.
    We could also realistically see him traded.
    It's not a question of different levels of development. Vasquez is simply the more gifted receiver. Swihart will never be able to close that gap enough to win the starting job from Vasquez unless he starts hitting like Johnny Bench. And that is not going to happen.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

i was corrected about saying Swihart playing mostly OF. It was actually middle IF and some 1b. Then pt catching jr and sr year.

It's not a question of different levels of development. Vasquez is simply the more gifted receiver. Swihart will never be able to close that gap enough to win the starting job from Vasquez unless he starts hitting like Johnny Bench. And that is not going to happen.
    He doesn't have to close the gap by hitting like a HOFer, if he improves his defense then it takes less of an offensive upgrade for him to close that gap. This is a kid rushed to the majors who was only last year a top 20 prospect in all of baseball.

I'm not against the move, and am definitely pro Vasquez to Swihart right now....but Swihart has the potential. The team might of made the right decision to send him down...but moving him off the position is premature and a bit perplexing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    He doesn't have to close the gap by hitting like a HOFer, if he improves his defense then it takes less of an offensive upgrade for him to close that gap. This is a kid rushed to the majors who was only last year a top 20 prospect in all of baseball.

I'm not against the move, and am definitely pro Vasquez to Swihart right now....but Swihart has the potential. The team might of made the right decision to send him down...but moving him off the position is premature and a bit perplexing to me.
    I think people tend to forget that Swihart just turned 24, which from what I understand, is very young in terms of a catcher's development. I remember hearing all the scouting reports not too long ago about how his defense would be good enough that, coupled with his offense, he would be the better overall catcher between him and Vazquez. I can't imagine that after one year, a year in which he was rushed up, all that has changed.

IMO, Vazquez is so good defensively that Swihart gets an unfair comparison to him. Swihart just needs more time.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I think people tend to forget that Swihart just turned 24, which from what I understand, is very young in terms of a catcher's development. I remember hearing all the scouting reports not too long ago about how his defense would be good enough that, coupled with his offense, he would be the better overall catcher between him and Vazquez. I can't imagine that after one year, a year in which he was rushed up, all that has changed.

IMO, Vazquez is so good defensively that Swihart gets an unfair comparison to him. Swihart just needs more time.
    I don't know if there is enough time for Swihart to develop into what some might call a good ml catcher. I hope that the people who do the projecting are right because he is such a talented and good kid. i wonder how many starting ml catchers converted to that position from another position. it is a tough change to make and he has done an incredible job to date. I'm kind of changing my feelings about him and hope the Red Sox are able to keep him. At the very least, he could serve in the role that Hanigan serves and if he starts to hit again - who knows. Someone said in an earlier post that we don't have much currently for solid catching prospects and I think that they are right.

I disagree. IMO, Swihart will have to be vastly better offensively than CV in order to win the starting job from CV, because imo, CV will be vastly better defensively than Swihart's defensive ceiling.

I disagree. IMO, Swihart will have to be vastly better offensively than CV in order to win the starting job from CV, because imo, CV will be vastly better defensively than Swihart's defensive ceiling.
    Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree....unless of course you disagree to that.

On a personal note I've been pro Swihart for a long time, but I think I'm switching over to being pro Vasquez. I've always like both, but on this team with this offense I think it makes sense to go defense first at the catching position.

If anything, regardless of how Swihart develops I think the Sox completely mishandled the situation this year. If anyone wants some good insight into the situation the Soxprospects had a podcast a week ago where the addressed this issue....and I think it's 100% spot on.

If anyone has time today check out podcast #95 from about the 50:00 minute marker on they talk about Swihart. It's a good listen.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/7/4/1740...5401a261217ae0

Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree....unless of course you disagree to that.

On a personal note I've been pro Swihart for a long time, but I think I'm switching over to being pro Vasquez. I've always like both, but on this team with this offense I think it makes sense to go defense first at the catching position.

If anything, regardless of how Swihart develops I think the Sox completely mishandled the situation this year. If anyone wants some good insight into the situation the Soxprospects had a podcast a week ago where the addressed this issue....and I think it's 100% spot on.

If anyone has time today check out podcast #95 from about the 50:00 minute marker on they talk about Swihart. It's a good listen.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/7/4/1740...5401a261217ae0
    I am not pro Vasquez or pro- Swihart. I am just giving my objective opinion regarding their abilities. CV is an elite quality defender, similar to Yadier Molina. You can't teach what those guys have. Swihart's defensive ceiling is so far below where CV is now, that he would have to be a silver slugger catcher to win the position from him. If Swihart can win the position, that would be great for the Red Sox, because it will take something special to unseat CV. I hope he can do it, but I don't think he will be able to do it unless Vasquez gets injured again.