Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vazquez

Vazquez

Christian Vazquez hit a long fly ball to LF that almost went out last night @ Pawtucket, in a 8-3 loss. He's not exactly tearing up the International League with 0 HR's and a .636 OPS so far in 135 AB's. Here's a link

He's not in AAA to tear it up. He's there to get some experience and seasoning at the plate versus higher level pitching.

We have all heard that he is MLB ready behind the plate.

I can't wait to see him in Boston either late this year or next season.

I don't think the Sox need another .200 hitter in their lineup, there's enough of those now. Not that I have a problem with good defense!

Quote Originally Posted by gojohn99 View Post
    I don't think the Sox need another .200 hitter in their lineup, there's enough of those now. Not that I have a problem with good defense!
    gojohn, welcome aboard. You're right. We need some hitters. We don't need a regular who has trouble cracking 200. We have some of those already. Vasquez will make a good No. 2 catcher. Blake Swihart up in Portland is having a good year so far and projects as both a good receiver and solid hitting prospect. He's the guy I think we should be waiting for.

He's a 23 yr old outstanding defensive catcher batting .270 in AAA.

He'll be on the opening day roster next year. Could he hit any worse than Ross at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He's a 23 yr old outstanding defensive catcher batting .270 in AAA.

He'll be on the opening day roster next year. Could he hit any worse than Ross at this point?
    No!!!!!!!! But will not be a decent Major League hitter. Swihart is the guy and 2015 or 2016 is when we get a hitting catcher who can field behind the plate. We need hitters!!!!!!! Nothing can be more obvious than that. I have followed this team for almost 14 years now and I have never seen a more inept hitting aggregation than this one.

Swihart is the catcher for the future, but if the Sox start bringing up youth then Vasquez gets a look here in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    Swihart is the catcher for the future, but if the Sox start bringing up youth then Vasquez gets a look here in 2014.
    There is no reason not to bring up Vasquez immediately. Ross needs to be put out to pasture.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

There is no reason not to bring up Vasquez immediately. Ross needs to be put out to pasture.
    Ross is still a good backup for the Sox. If Vasquez is the FO selection to be the every day catcher in 2015 I could see the Sox bringing Ross back for one more year. He is good in the club house, still catches a good game, and is willing to work with the kid. What ever O you get is a plus. The Sox are not starting 2015 with two kids as their catchers.

What is the latest on Vasquez and his recovery from TJ surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    What is the latest on Vasquez and his recovery from TJ surgery?
    Several weeks ago, I heard that he is progressing and had been cleared to throw.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I think that he should be given the shot at being the #1 catcher for 2016.

He was on his way to becoming that when he was hurt.

Some here have concluded that he can't hit well enough. I have not seen this at all. I think that given the chance, he can be productive enough.

His defense and all that goes with being behind the plate appears ready.

Spud, what would you do with Blake? 1b?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Trade bait?

If Shore turn into a pumkin, yes, possibly. Or even 3rd base. He was an infielder converted to catcher, IIRC.

I also want Hannigan back as the number 2 catcher.